Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Jun 15, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #22,276 of 41,035
Hitachi PS-48 direct driver turntable.. (circa ~1977)

cheers

Thanks for the reply there,
,now you have me looking at them.

Jun 16, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #22,277 of 41,035
Desk-setup-A.jpg

Jun 18, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #22,278 of 41,035
here goes nothing: 3 pix from my asylum cell (aka "home office") where i've made a living for 17 years. The past 10 yrs featured real desktop audio, metastasizing into headphone audio in last 3 years.

when you look at 1st picture below (showing my backup computer; ACT SCM12 Pros; Wyred4Sound ST-500 amp; Marchand XM44 electronic crossover)--you're actually seeing the part of the desk I rarely use. 90 degrees to the left of this section (on the L-section of the desk) is a laptop + monitor + secondary HP station, currently consisting of Audio GD DAC-10 + Liquid Carbon) and 32" flatscreen TV in the corner.

Not shown anywhere are 2 other HP amps/preamps and another 5-6 headphones tucked out of sight.

(it's disturbing how many electronics devices are in this room...)

PS: yes, those are christmas lights...they circle the room. I light them up every night all year long.

20180307_162918.jpg

20180307_163012.jpg

20180307_163052.jpg

Jun 19, 2018 at 6:24 AM Post #22,279 of 41,035
here goes nothing: 3 pix from my asylum cell (aka "home office") where i've made a living for 17 years. The past 10 yrs featured real desktop audio, metastasizing into headphone audio in last 3 years.

when you look at 1st picture below (showing my backup computer; ACT SCM12 Pros; Wyred4Sound ST-500 amp; Marchand XM44 electronic crossover)--you're actually seeing the part of the desk I rarely use. 90 degrees to the left of this section (on the L-section of the desk) is a laptop + monitor + secondary HP station, currently consisting of Audio GD DAC-10 + Liquid Carbon) and 32" flatscreen TV in the corner.

Not shown anywhere are 2 other HP amps/preamps and another 5-6 headphones tucked out of sight.

PS: yes, those are christmas lights...they circle the room. I light them up every night all year long.

What is that silver box with blue light left side of your pc tower?

Jun 19, 2018 at 8:02 AM Post #22,283 of 41,035

I'll give you $20 for that mouse pad!!!!! :)

Jun 19, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #22,284 of 41,035
I'm really surprised that you use such great DACs and Amps "just" to drive a Fidelio X2! (or is it an X1?)

Well, the X2s do scale up w/better amps...to a point.

But there are other headphones not shown in these pictures:
  • ZMF Ori
  • Audeze LCD-2.1/pre-fazor
  • Marantz MPH-2
  • Akai Professional 50X (heavily modded by @Slater; reviewed vs stock 1-2 wks ago)
  • A heavily modded HD650s (review of that vs stock HD650 in ~1 wk)
  • I've spent weeks listening to a borrowed ZMF Eikon & LCD-2/fazor, and in this room briefly heard a modded HD800 and LCD-3/fazor
  • Had ZMF Atticus, E-Mu Teak, AKG K553, Sony MDR Z7, Status Audio CB-1, JVC HA-SZ1000, Fostex/Massdrop TH-X00, Onkyo A800 (all sold)
  • Audeze LCD-3/pre-fazor arrives Thursday

Jun 19, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #22,286 of 41,035
I'll give you $20 for that mouse pad!!!!! :)

I'll take $30!

Funny you'd say that. As you can see, the pad is shot...used it for years w/wired mire (+ wore out numerous other pads). Finally put it away a couple weeks ago. The 2 cordless mice I use now actually work better w/o a pad.

Realized last night after posting pix that I underestimated the time I've spent in this home office.
  • Used it somewhat less that F.T. for different jobs/freelance work from 1995 to 2001 (work involving some travel/onsite days/wk)
  • Starting in 2001 it was F.T. home office. Workflow fluctuated wildly, going from very little to a LOT starting ~2004
  • From 2004 to 2012 I worked 7 days/wk, ~50-75 hrs in this office
  • I've gone through 4 STEELCASE orthopedic chairs w/another on the way

I'll be happy to make recommendations for chairs if anyone has that need...finally found an excellent source for high quality used office chairs. When you sit for a living, what you sit on totally matters.

Jun 19, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #22,287 of 41,035
Well, the X2s do scale up w/better amps...to a point.

But there are other headphones not shown in these pictures:
  • ZMF Ori
  • Audeze LCD-2.1/pre-fazor
  • Marantz MPH-2
  • Akai Professional 50X (heavily modded by @Slater; reviewed vs stock 1-2 wks ago)
  • A heavily modded HD650s (review of that vs stock HD650 in ~1 wk)
  • I've spent weeks listening to a borrowed ZMF Eikon & LCD-2/fazor, and in this room briefly heard a modded HD800 and LCD-3/fazor
  • Had ZMF Atticus, E-Mu Teak, AKG K553, Sony MDR Z7, Status Audio CB-1, JVC HA-SZ1000, Fostex/Massdrop TH-X00, Onkyo A800 (all sold)
  • Audeze LCD-3/pre-fazor arrives Thursday

right, gotcha! interesting that you would keep the X2 having sold all these nice headphones. Maybe I should get a pair myself. :nerd:

Jun 19, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #22,288 of 41,035
right, gotcha! interesting that you would keep the X2 having sold all these nice headphones. Maybe I should get a pair myself. :nerd:

You really should. The X2s were my first "serious" headphone--the first headphones that I loved the sound of. A fun, ear-friendly, musical sound: somewhat bassy w/some warmth (not too much), and wide/diffuse, spacious soundstaging. I started out w/them on my first DAC/amp, the FiiO E10K (another true sonic over-achiever). Then stepped up to my first serious amp, the Lake People G109-A (very fine SE amp)...and the X2s stepped right up with it. Fantastic sound that helped push me further into this hobby.

There's way more to headphones than sell price. Some designs just "get it right," hitting the mark in nearly every performance area. The X2s are one such design.

I have more expensive HPs that do soundstaging somewhat less & differently than the X2s. Sometimes use the X2s to zero in how a given headphone's soundstaging compares to others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back