Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Aug 21, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #21,811 of 40,706
Ze4RDI0.jpg

Sep 3, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #21,815 of 40,706
20170902_161523996_iOS.jpg

Here is the the winner-sounding rig with MrSpeakers Alpha Primes: Oppo HA-2 ---> Cayin C5 - bizzare how good this sounds!

20170903_110407102_iOS.jpg

Funny, this "reserve" system also sounds just right, however with lack of the main system's edge.
Cables are VdH The Second
USB cable is Forza Audioworks USB mini
MacBook Pro in the center.

Sep 10, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #21,818 of 40,706
0r12qoMl3IeLh7okx8ZO1ctVCbSgM4Qnm2ZHm3jEZV4.jpg

Line Magnetic 518ia -> Woo Audio WEE -> Stax L700
DAC = Denafrips Pontus
SoTM SM200 with LPS pushing ROON to the Pontus

Sep 10, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #21,821 of 40,706
I cleaned up the study a couple of weekends ago and took some pics of my headphone collection. If I had the original intention to publish the pics I would taken a bit more care with them, but here goes …

Starting from left to right …

One of the smallest components doing the toughest job of them all … the petite Topping TP4 is about the size of a 250g block of butter. Which is quite apt, as this little Class T amp makes the power-hungry AKG K1000’s sound rich and creamy.

Next to diminutive David, the HoBo (names in honour of it’s creators Wim Bowman and Alan Hobkirk) cuts an imposing but gentle Golliath figure. Despite it’s 30kg heft this SET OTL beast treats all kind of music with empathy and insight. Since I took these pics I got a pair of HE560's and the synergy with amp is incredible.

Next up, the heart of my system as it has been for over a year now … the delectable Wadia 121 (still begging for a PSU upgrade to unleash what greatness hides inside the square box) and original SPL Phonitor 2730 … the one with the 50’s sports car dash. Haven’t heard every amp out there but this is to my ears the best solid state headphone amp out there and probably my most-loved piece of hardware. A very neutral tone with incredible resolution, transparency and attack. And seminal industrial design to die for ...just look at those VU meters ...

The Squeezebox Touch is a recent addition to my music listening experience. I use it as a transport, fed by a dedicated old laptop running LMS off a NAS-stored collection. The signal is passed by SPDIF RCA to the Wadia 121 for practical reasons (USB is reserved for JRiver running on my other laptop).

While the SB Touch is in easy reach where I listen, my 7” Samsung Galaxy Tab does Squeezebox controller duty courtesy of free Squeezer app, as does my Galaxy phone.

The music database resides on a 6TB Seagate NAS and is shared between LMS and Jriver … the latter which I prefer for library management, tagging, and serious listening. Here are Audeze LCD-2 (Rev 2, pre-fazor) and Sennheiser HD650 draped over the JRiver screen. Wasn’t planned like that but these two incidentally share a common, dark and slightly withdrawn personality. And both can make great organic music when partnered appropriately. Another addition after these pics were taken is a very recent 2016 model LCD-2.2 pre fazor made up from the Audeze parts bin to special customer order. It has plush, thick earpads like the latest silent revision models, and I suspect it may share the same latest revision drivers too ... sounds unlike any other LCD-2 I have heard.

Another reason I still use JRiver is the ease with which VST plugins are installed. This screenshot is of the incredible Sonarworks headphone calibration software.

HD600 and HD800, flanking the true King, the AKG K1000. I have had pleasing results driving the K1k with the Schiit Lyr, but since that amp has now gone to Ron G I alternate between the Topping and HoBo when listening to these. The HD800 gets substantially more head-time than the others. I'm not sure why ... but it's the set I most often grab for a listen. Since I got the HE560's and new LCD-2.2PF's though there is healthy competition.

AKG K1000 up close. S/N 10xxx with APureSound cable.

If I had to choose a theme for my collection I suppose it would be “former flagships” … here three generations of Sennheiser flagships frame the K1000.

My travel set … Fiio X3 DAP and Sennheiser Momentums. The Fiio is incredibly versatile and great value for money. The Momentums are sadly beat by the recently departed NAD HP50’s, but it improved on the NAD’s styling and perceived longevity.

Not shown… Nuprime uDSD DAC/amp, Perreaux SXH2 amp, Audio Technica ATH-M40x and a couple of low key headies. Items that have come and gone include the mentioned Schiit Lyr, Millet Max hybrid headphone amp, Audeze Deckard DAC/amp, Benchmark DAC-1, Samson SR850, Grado SR60i, Beyerdynamic DT990, NAD HP-50, and a pair each of HD600 (first love) and HD650 (seductress) subsequently replaced by more of the same.

And now a couple of general shots …

Ahh Agnes Obel... i see your a man of culture as well

Sep 11, 2017 at 7:46 AM Post #21,822 of 40,706
Excuse the crappy picture, but this is my desktop reference setup (JDS Labs OL DAC, HeadnHifi desktop Objective2 amp). For general music listening I plug the GMP400's into my Feliks audio espressivo tube amp and spin some vinyl with my Project Debut Carbon TT.

IMG_20170829_210644-01.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back