Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Apr 25, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #19,966 of 41,011
  Rearranged my rack.  Lost the Little Dot III+, and made space for the Arcam DV-139 you see in the background, and a McIntosh MHA-100 I expect to be buying next week. 

What is presently my first and second string of headphones positioned on the front and rear rack respectively.

Nice rack! Never seen such before. Is it an industry standard or just a happy coincidence?

Apr 25, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #19,967 of 41,011
It's a standard width mounting rack to fit pro audio equipment.

I wonder how does that Rane sound powering all those headphones...

Apr 25, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #19,968 of 41,011
Thank for the comments. Correct as stated. Standard 19" open frame rack.

Most similar racks go for $100~ish more. This particular unit is this one and quite affordable:
http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16816133039

With my current equipment the rear frame is completely superfluous. Well it does serve as a nice headphone stand. But once I buy a couple of 19" power strip brackets, and the monster 25lb McIntosh amp, I'll be bolting all to the rear hoop too.

Regarding the Rane. I waited months for the 6S to sell on eBay for a reasonable price (the 'S' being the important part). It uses an output push pull bipolar device pair as a buffer/current gain stage. It essentially has double the power out as the non 'S'. Power to all headphones is power supply limited; the specs state a reduction in power output for one channel driven vs all. However I only have signal going to one pair of channels, so it doesn't effect me.

I've tried listening tests with everything connected but volume only going to one of the 6 channel pairs, then every thing disconnected except what i was listening to. I could not be sure if I heard a difference in bass slam or it was just a placebo effect. Sometimes I thought I heard the slightest of differences. On retries I often did not. Logic would tell you with a headphone connected but no signal to it, it should not load the power supply and affect the 2 stereo channels driven.

Apr 25, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #19,969 of 41,011
But how does the Rane "sound"? Have you compared against other "big name" amps?

Apr 25, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #19,971 of 41,011
But how does the Rane "sound"? Have you compared against other "big name" amps?
better than I expected, I would say, given the general purpose opamps it uses for the balanced input buffer and main gain stage. It's quiet (as far as these affected ears can tell). It's a very crisp, lively sounding amp with lot's of power. I have only driven it using the main balanced input, from my Adcom DAC's balanced outputs. And with the input at max to take advantage of a hot input (being pro gear it can handle a large input signal swing before clipping) I can rarely turn the output volume over 3.

My amps I have experience with are a Little Dot II+ & III+ and a Perreaux Class-A (forget the model #) solid state amp, the latter of which I wouldn't hesitate to say is a better amp than any one pair of channels of the 12 channel Rane. :wink:.

Apr 26, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #19,973 of 41,011
I know it might be overkill, but I bought these desktop racks on a whim. Codia Stage 1000 and TAKT Den-LD, all made in South Korea.

http://imgur.com/1NWPssQ

Quite possibly the best dynamic headphone setup I've owned or listened to. Vintage R-2R DAC's like the SFD-2 MKII SE+ playing good ol' Red Book 16-bit 44.1kHz or OOYH 48 kHz beats most so-called "wonder" DAC's capable of DSD.

When my BHSE arrives in a year or two, another Codia shelf will go on top of the rack.

Apr 26, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #19,974 of 41,011
An updated view with some of the collection displayed.................from left -

Denon AH-A100
Fostex TH600
Pioneer SE-205 vintage
Pioneer Monitor II vintage
Denon LA2000
Denon D600

Apr 26, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #19,975 of 41,011
  I know it might be overkill, but I bought these desktop racks on a whim. Codia Stage 1000 and TAKT Den-LD, all made in South Korea.

http://imgur.com/1NWPssQ

Quite possibly the best dynamic headphone setup I've owned or listened to. Vintage R-2R DAC's like the SFD-2 MKII SE+ playing good ol' Red Book 16-bit 44.1kHz or OOYH 48 kHz beats most so-called "wonder" DAC's capable of DSD.

When my BHSE arrives in a year or two, another Codia shelf will go on top of the rack.

Well, it seems they are worth it in style. Beautiful setup! Very very tasteful.

Apr 27, 2015 at 5:12 AM Post #19,977 of 41,011
  An updated view with some of the collection displayed.................from left -

Denon AH-A100
Fostex TH600
Pioneer SE-205 vintage
Denon LA2000
Denon D600

always a pleasure to see your pics , oregonian 
when i see one of your setups, i get the urge to go find a vintage receiver !

Apr 27, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #19,978 of 41,011

Denon AH-A100
Fostex TH600
Pioneer SE-205 vintage
Denon LA2000
Denon D600

Nice setup!
Always loved that Kenwood amp. Classic!

Apr 27, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #19,979 of 41,011
I've had the same headphone setup for over 2 years now. Wow! Time really does fly. Still enjoying the music though
L3000.gif

scaled back on headphone stuff recently to acquire more camera gear, here's the current state of affairs:

Can I get a source on that awesome Patent print? Very nice setup

Users who are viewing this thread

Back