Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Apr 15, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #19,921 of 41,034

I do not find the sound to be bright by any means from the balanced headphone output. I do find the pre-amp output to be a little bright paired with my powered Emotiva monitors but I think thats more the speaker than the pre-amp. The mid's are clean and detailed, with a very neutral presentation. If your looking for tube amp warmth or bloated mids you can look elsewhere.    

I'm looking to update my DAC, but not necessarily the amp. I prefer a hint of warmth, but not too lush. If an amp comes with the DAC, so be it, although I really do like my current amp. I'm not against all in one setups.

Apr 15, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #19,922 of 41,034

I just built a new desktop :D

Got my near-fields set up, and my AKG K340 vintage going through my receiver until I get a dedicated amp.

Can someone recommend a better place to stick my speakers? I feel like they're in a kinda inefficient spot.

Apr 15, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #19,924 of 41,034

Got my near-fields set up, and my AKG K340 vintage going through my receiver until I get a dedicated amp.

Can someone recommend a better place to stick my speakers? I feel like they're in a kinda inefficient spot.

You have a couple options with the speakers. You could mount them on downward-tilted stands of some sort so they direct more centered and downward toward you, or you can set them up on wood blocks or something at the edges of your desk. I prefer the latter approach since it's a pain to mount desktop monitors on tilted stands and not ruin their finish underneath.

All my speaker setups are near-field, so I've tried almost everything when it comes to positioning with a desk.

Apr 15, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #19,926 of 41,034
Time alignment with the woofer and tweeter!

I am not sure what this means
You have a couple options with the speakers. You could mount them on downward-tilted stands of some sort so they direct more centered and downward toward you, or you can set them up on wood blocks or something at the edges of your desk. I prefer the latter approach since it's a pain to mount desktop monitors on tilted stands and not ruin their finish underneath.

All my speaker setups are near-field, so I've tried almost everything when it comes to positioning with a desk.

I am considering mounting them to the side of my desk.

Apr 16, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #19,928 of 41,034
The Ragnarok and Draug v2 are the latest additions to my rig. Think I'm done with Head-Fi for a while. Time to move on to turntables and speakers.

Great gear and great pic!

Apr 16, 2015 at 3:45 AM Post #19,929 of 41,034

Try speaker stands

Apr 16, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #19,930 of 41,034
I am not sure what this means

In essence, it means that the sounds from all the drivers arrive at your ears at the same time. This can only happen at a given distance. For example, my speakers, where time alignment served as one of the main design criteria, are only time-aligned at 10'. Not 9', not 11', but only 10' from the baffle.

As you can see in the pic, the tweeter is mounted deeper into the baffle than the mids, which, in turn sit deeper than the woofers. The felt is there to eliminate refraction. Your speakers are not time aligned.

To lend a suggestion for your setup, I'd flip the speakers over so the tweeter is closer to the ear and see how that sounds. Good luck.

Apr 16, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #19,931 of 41,034

Like Shaffer mentioned, get the tweeters on the same plane as your ears regardless of where you put the speakers. 

Apr 18, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #19,933 of 41,034
Quote: Hello, nice lil set up there! what cable are you using?
  The Ragnarok and Draug v2 are the latest additions to my rig. Think I'm done with Head-Fi for a while. Time to move on to turntables and speakers.

Apr 18, 2015 at 3:53 AM Post #19,935 of 41,034
Yup, it's a Draug v2 from Norne Audio. That photo doesn't show it well but I went with dark grey and black. Didn't want gaudy bling so I opted for no wood splitter and just the stock black nuetrik housing with the better quality Eidolic balanced pins inside. There's no logo on the left headphone connector, but there's a small Norne triangle logo and an R in metallic red to mark the right channel.

I always thought the Norne cables looked heavy and stiff in photos but I was surprised at how light and supple the Draug v2 actually felt.

Here's a better angle of it but my iPhone is a crap camera. Sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back