Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Feb 19, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #19,652 of 40,706
  Current pictures! Replaced the old iMac with a Mac Pro, the Abrahamsen V6.0 for a Yulong D100 and the JVC A-S5 plus the Dali Lektor 2s for a B&W MM-1 – the latter two for convenience. 

As for the headphones on the shelves of happiness not many interesting changes apart from the addition of a Parrot Zik 2.0 as a portable.

And as a bonus, a gathering of my set plus some interesting things that are in for reviewing :)

That looks really nice...
Are those Meze Classic 88s I see???
What are they like???

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #19,653 of 40,706
Decided to ditch the Geek Pulse as the main headfi station, it's been relegated to my 2nd rig. I replaced it with an iFi iDSD Nano + Lyr stack.....

Took my remaining cans and placed them on the top shelf of my hifi rack...

Will be adding a Philips Fidelio X1 and, with some luck, a Fostex TH900......

What are those wood Omega shaped headphone stands?

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #19,654 of 40,706

I'm inspired by the headphone drawers / shelves... my cats love to chew on cables (I've already lost my original Senn and Grado cables to the cats). Seeing this, I am going to re-think my use of headphone stands and clear out / line a drawer in my desk (don't know why I never thought of that before...)

Nice rig!

Thanks! :) 

It's what I've been doing for a while, because even though I've got two nice stands, the headphones I would like to keep on display are expensive to just leave exposed, I think... so I got them in drawers and the problem's solved!

Using drawers to store headphones? Both convenient and classy! 

I'm surprised you keep your HD449 despite owning a few drool-worthy thousands dollar beasts!

Well, in actual fact the HD449s were "permanent loans", given by Sennheiser's local distributor, for reviewing! And since it would be unethical for me to sell them, they are kept as headphones for future reference :)

That looks really nice...
Are those Meze Classic 88s I see???
What are they like???

Thanks, Akash!

No, actually they're a pair of Audio-Technica W3000ANVs!

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #19,657 of 40,706
  I personally think the Abyss is massively overpriced and doesn't have very good measurements.  I've never heard it, though, so it could be the best headphone ever as far as I know.  But, I'll never buy it because it's priced in the stratosphere. 

They're rather uncomfortable to wear also!  I didn't find they sounded that great and I couldn't get over the discomfort.

Feb 20, 2015 at 7:08 AM Post #19,658 of 40,706
  They're rather uncomfortable to wear also!  I didn't find they sounded that great and I couldn't get over the discomfort.

My thoughts precisely! I also thought, sonically, for 6k!?!?!?! - To me they exhibited: GREAT BASS, very little excitement, coherency, or midrange presence, and then the highs were extended. But, still, are they even CLOSE to 3X the LCD-3s performance???

Anyway: JUST got the new Burson Audio Conductor Virtuoso in for review - and so this is what my front-room headphone station looks like right now (and the Virtuoso makes for a terrific amp compliment for my LCD-XCs, and the new EL-8 open-back):

Feb 20, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #19,659 of 40,706
My thoughts precisely! I also thought, sonically, for 6k!?!?!?! - To me they exhibited: GREAT BASS, very little excitement, coherency, or midrange presence, and then the highs were extended. But, still, are they even CLOSE to 3X the LCD-3s performance???

Anyway: JUST got the new Burson Audio Conductor Virtuoso in for review - and so this is what my front-room headphone station looks like right now (and the Virtuoso makes for a terrific amp compliment for my LCD-XCs, and the new EL-8 open-back):

Well I also think the LCD line is overpriced too.

Here's my 5th Wedding Anniversary gift from my wife: AURALiC Taurus mk2 + Gungnir

I'm loving the combo along with the Wyrd.

Feb 20, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #19,660 of 40,706
Well I also think the LCD line is overpriced too.

Here's my 5th Wedding Anniversary gift from my wife: AURALiC Taurus mk2 + Gungnir

I'm loving the combo along with the Wyrd.

Aall of us are entitled to our opinions for sure. But 6K - that's a whole other level - I've watched LCDs being built, and it gave me a whole new appreciation for them, and, the price. 
That's a nice lookin rig!!

I really dug the the Fostex TH900s at Canjam.

Feb 20, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #19,661 of 40,706

What do I choose tonight ? 
confused.gif

redface.gif

Ali

Feb 20, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #19,664 of 40,706
  Aall of us are entitled to our opinions for sure. But 6K - that's a whole other level - I've watched LCDs being built, and it gave me a whole new appreciation for them, and, the price. 
That's a nice lookin rig!!

I really dug the the Fostex TH900s at Canjam.

Agreed about our opinions :).  To be clear:  I haven't had any extended time with the LCD3.  

Feb 21, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #19,665 of 40,706
Originally got the GlennOTL amp for HD800 ( since sold) but really enjoying it with one of my fav phones T1 ( been thru a few). Getting away from seating at the desk but this morning really digging the combo
Happy Listening headfi!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back