Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Jan 5, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #16,456 of 41,034
Jan 5, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #16,457 of 41,034
I appreciate the input - as I have never heard the HD800's, I was merely lumping them in with other headphones that appear to be in the same category in terms of quality and price (not in sound) - I would like to hear them all and make a determination. Right now I don't have a very high powered headphone amp that would do the HD800's justice, nor an HE-6, but I wouldn't be opposed to spending the additional money. 

Jan 5, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #16,458 of 41,034
The HE-500's consume the majority of the head time, they're better when it comes to clarity, detail extraction, instrumental seperation, and speed. The LCD-2's have a lusher midrange, with a more intoxicating signature. More 3D soundstage, better vocality, with deeper bass extension and slam.

Both headphones are equal sonically, but different flavors.

+1 THIS. Although I found the lcd2 the better hp for me, I found it too uncomfortable for the price tag. Although they are essentially the same weight, the he500 seems to do a better job at distributing the weight and therefore more comfortable IMO. More comfortable=more headtime. 

Jan 5, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #16,460 of 41,034
  Why do you say that the HD800's would not be a good choice?

Sound is too different from the HE-400 that you said you enjoy so unless you are looking for the opposite flavor then the advise is to consider HE-500 or LCD-2.

Since you can try the HD800 in WI, go try them....and bring along your 400s...

Then you can let us know what you think...

Jan 5, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #16,462 of 41,034
If you have the HE-400's, either the LCD-2 or HE-500 would suffice. The HD800 needs a potent amp and source to milk all of their potential fidelity, and if you get an LCD-3, you're paying (IMHO) the $1000 extra for that last 5% of audio improvement over the LCD-2.
wink.gif

That is true. But an M-stage will still give you better sound with the HD800 than both the HE500 or LCD2 are capable of ime and thats with a budget amp. So its not all about amp cost with the HD800. That is now an old myth that is constantly being proved wrong :) 

But it all comes down to preference. Some folks prefer a smoother thicker sound over transparency. 

Jan 5, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #16,463 of 41,034
I appreciate the input - as I have never heard the HD800's, I was merely lumping them in with other headphones that appear to be in the same category in terms of quality and price (not in sound) - I would like to hear them all and make a determination. Right now I don't have a very high powered headphone amp that would do the HD800's justice, nor an HE-6, but I wouldn't be opposed to spending the additional money. 

That is true. But an M-stage will still give you better sound with the HD800 than both the HE500 or LCD2 are capable of ime and thats with a budget amp. So its not all about amp cost with the HD800. That is now an old myth that is constantly being proved wrong :) 

But it all comes down to preference. Some folks prefer a smoother thicker sound over transparency. 

Oh, don't worry! I completely agree with you on amp cost. Trust me, I know of amplifiers that cost thousands that can't match a $200 amplifier. Take for example, the Mini-X for orthos or Schiit's entry level gear.

Jan 5, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #16,465 of 41,034
  The place where I could listen to the HD800's isn't actually IN Milwaukee, but it is close enough. There is a place called "Audio Consultants" in Libertyville, IL - it is about an  hour away from me.

If you're ever up in Green Bay, Hi-Fi Heaven usually has a decent sampling of TOTL cans for you to try out. Last time I was there I auditioned a PS1000, HD800, T1, and T5p.

Jan 5, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #16,467 of 41,034
  Thanks for the info ssrock - I am actually from Appleton, and still visit family in the area very frequently. Maybe I will make a trip up there instead!

I can't guarantee any Audeze, Hifiman, or other smaller brands like that, but they have a very good selection of Grados, a decent offering of mid-tier and top-tier Beyers, a smattering of top-tier Sennheisers, and the occasional inclusion of other brands. They've also got tons of DACs and amps across almost any price range. They're mainly a high-end home theater design and installation business, but their physical shop has plenty of gear to try. The building looks like an upside-down pyramid behind Sears; it's hard to miss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back