Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
May 15, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #28,533 of 40,979
The RPi4 and display + OSMC remote have really transformed my listening experience.

I can now sit far back on the couch, get Roon radio going, and with the remote i can flip forwards and backwards on the songs, adjust the volume, and just really enjoy the music. The best part is i can do it all without having to unlock my phone to control Roon or get up to adjust the volume knob on the amp. i find the phone so distracting, as I always tend to end up surfing the web or facebook. The only time i really have to unlock my phone is to add the song as a favourite; i wish there was a way to program one of the buttons on the OSMC remote to automatically add the current song playing to my favourites list.

The rpi4 just serves mainly as a display for my SOTM Roon endpoint. I have a usb cable going out of the RPi4 when i want to run librespot for spotify.

i highly recommend this set up for couch listeners..!

20210516_091540-01.jpeg

May 16, 2021 at 6:08 AM Post #28,535 of 40,979
The RPi4 and display + OSMC remote have really transformed my listening experience.

I can now sit far back on the couch, get Roon radio going, and with the remote i can flip forwards and backwards on the songs, adjust the volume, and just really enjoy the music. The best part is i can do it all without having to unlock my phone to control Roon or get up to adjust the volume knob on the amp. i find the phone so distracting, as I always tend to end up surfing the web or facebook. The only time i really have to unlock my phone is to add the song as a favourite; i wish there was a way to program one of the buttons on the OSMC remote to automatically add the current song playing to my favourites list.

The rpi4 just serves mainly as a display for my SOTM Roon endpoint. I have a usb cable going out of the RPi4 when i want to run librespot for spotify.

i highly recommend this set up for couch listeners..!

20210516_091540-01.jpeg
Pics of the wa33 are always nice

May 16, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #28,536 of 40,979
What amps are those?
These are Electrostatic AMPs which drive the Electrostatic Headphones like STAX, HiFiMAN Jade, Shangri-La Jr and Senior, Mr. speakers Voce, and many more electrostatic headphones.

To the left is a Tube AMP called Megatron build by a good friend An Thu wonderful DIY Electrostatic Tube and Solid State amplifier builder, configuration Power Tubes are two pairs of Quad Perfect paired KT77 Gold Loins and 2 x 12au7 and 2 x 12ax7 tubes, so total of 12 tubes.

Silver big AMP is a Solid state KGSSHV Carbon built by very famous builder John McLean from Australia.

Black AMP is again a Solid state KGSSHV custom built by Birgir Gudjonsson AKA spritzer (best DIY Electrostatic AMPs builder and a STAX historian, works very closely with Kevin Gilmore) 🔥

All the amplifiers are based on design by Kevin Gilmore.

May 16, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #28,537 of 40,979
These are Electrostatic AMPs which drive the Electrostatic Headphones like STAX, HiFiMAN Jade, Shangri-La Jr and Senior, Mr. speakers Voce, and many more electrostatic headphones.

To the left is a Tube AMP called Megatron build by a good friend An Thu wonderful DIY Electrostatic Tube and Solid State amplifier builder, configuration Power Tubes are two pairs of Quad Perfect paired KT77 Gold Loins and 2 x 12au7 and 2 x 12ax7 tubes, so total of 12 tubes.

Silver big AMP is a Solid state KGSSHV Carbon built by very famous builder John McLean from Australia.

Black AMP is again a Solid state KGSSHV custom built by Birgir Gudjonsson AKA spritzer (best DIY Electrostatic AMPs builder and a STAX historian, works very closely with Kevin Gilmore) 🔥

All the amplifiers are based on design by Kevin Gilmore.
How old is your Megatron? Why do you still have a KGSSHV when you have a Carbon?

May 16, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #28,539 of 40,979
The Megatron is a couple of years old I am the second owner.

KGSSHV to my ears has better sub-bass than the Carbon besides it is a custom built one, having said that am known to be a hoarder 😊 actual true ✌️
That's interesting that the KGSSHV has better sub-bass. I wonder why that is. I like how compact yours is in comparison to the Carbon.

May 16, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #28,540 of 40,979
That's interesting that the KGSSHV has better sub-bass. I wonder why that is. I like how compact yours is in comparison to the Carbon.
Yes it's pretty compact this unit that Birgir made, and his amps have better sub-bass widely reported in the other forum, besides my amp has 2 outputs which allows for A/B testing of different headphones (L700 Mk1 vs Mk2, L700 vs L300 LE vs L700 Mk2 etc.,).

Last edited:
May 16, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #28,541 of 40,979
Yes it's pretty compact this unit that Birgir made, and his amps have better sub-bass widely reported in the other forum, besides my amp has 2 outputs which allows for A/B testing of different headphones (L700 Mk1 vs Mk2, L700 vs L300 LE vs L700 Mk2 etc.,).
That's another thing that I like about your amps. Two outputs is too uncommon for electrostatic builds, and I really don't know why that is.
Is there a difference in the sound of the L700 models?

May 16, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #28,542 of 40,979
Purpose built for A/B testing in short 😂
These are my personal impressions so take them with a big grain of salt -
L700 Mk I has better top end performance (it's because my brain burn in), and sound stage is a tab wider
L700 Mk 2 has tighter bass and sounds more dynamic I oftentimes think is because of the better seal on them with metallic angled forks, also the marginal sound stage change.

May 16, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #28,544 of 40,979
May 16, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #28,545 of 40,979
I will look at your pic when I'm thinking I have a lot of headphones and I'm trying to decide which to use... (I have just 4) :wink:

By the way, I will like to see you when you are looking for the correct cable for the headphones you decided to use :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back