Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Jan 8, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #24,616 of 40,712
Command Center:
Pro-Ject Switch Box S (4 inputs, 2 outputs)
Remote control for powered speakers Ruark MR1 (not head-fi...)
Massdrop X Koss E/90X electrostatic energizer for ESP/95X​
y4mhA9bWYVtBzWLwaYecqhaEbDHGAUKQL_CPXOQMkLKfAxYIpwItc8XABMWbJIu_0VkLgWxeXYb_MwYaxuqD9nNksaBopUWYJM6aGaktVBiAp_ulf-U-stZnHHohV-5d6uh6OiEa7EA9civMZMp1PovtlvhxsswMOuNzERHbTltDlixQKzkPorY6aBfnDx60wSLv84z-0skJJ1_9NsX3tFcMg

Engine Room
Raspberry Pi4 with 4GB RAM, runing Volumio, controlled from PC or iPhone
External USB drive for CD playing and riping
iFi nano iDSD Black Label with iDefender 3.0 as desktop DAC​
y4mILsGEKt83J5KY16BdZIV3trZ5q_jpp7diMkuwYCSb1kRLNSGDlLr8Dwrst2KwWeURP-qxFevoHuwuLvBrK4zXu5j1ZkqabryQ5z7VIDJOL3q1xa2_xNmL5sdRwlJBt7MLufDoqodTHzHhPJF1AXmV7VWJLoRAKGl06sJ0FqiswgrwEfysg4O7wSsoAzPba7Nf3IL6e1dfQQ2rojOQWGWJw

Magically sounding devices
Massdrop X Koss ESP/95X electrostatic headphones
PSB M4U1 closed back semi-portable
B&W P3 Series 2 double-duty around the office and on-the-go
Koss KSC75 with Yaxi earpads for on-the-go​
y4mcPvwujwCeBEHBm4cIeTCU_ceb6Xjotr3PF0xMVZE2OL9yyw9Qr_TtWXWc007nAyivu23ODtqnpdYD0uFyu_7FgHaQeYFd23joXf5eaEkYXGw8JOgT1zlDU1OVZ4XRjhjr7YdgqRMmuysbLPnZnCF-zpRkb-IDVrlOiG63Tjm9zG9wwKOljtQVL6iU1GqCz-Hb600SFT8qinvKwfVbtX-Cw

On-the-go main setup
Koss KSC75 with Yaxi earpads
AudioQuest DragonFly Black 1.5 (and Camera Connection Kit for the iPhone)​
y4mCUFRAz1mdf_BgawMgxg4rxxwGznG1qeRh-QE94AYJDp4oJWiU_E0aq-l2wPx7iAuLB7lmSTTTjuUnSOAhHoTdQum-xPcfj4evP1arMU-NUABc1aCr8VdPnuHPGXskSbKlgPpCocZWnKg32aQJLlTO9ixy3f_yfFMXVIepi2lCpn_1aZ35eCXl2OzjUVk95L7MA1moKAYhNU67xQ_WbVpVg

Not seen in the pics
AudioQuest cables
PSB subwoofer
Out for upgrade/repair
Little Dot Mk II
In the future:
Fiio BTR5
Better desktop DAC
Massdrop X Koss KSC75X with red Yaxi earpads (my daughter took my previous ones)
Have a great 2020!

Engine room? Command center?

I think you're leaving out "submarine crew quarters"

Jan 8, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #24,617 of 40,712
BTW, I should say that as the result of my wife's attention and thoughtfulness, I've rekindled my love affair with my Audeze's (LCD-3 and XC). I have older models with the original headband that as we know are not comfy. She is totally removed from this hobby, but somewhere in the past she must've overheard my grumblings. With that in mind, she set out to find a cost efficient solution, and lo! she stumbled upon a site called Geekria, which sells replacement pads for real cheap. She bought me two of the bands pictured below and was hesitant to give them to me for fear of my sneering at her. First, I would never do that to her, and second, damn, they are just great!!!! At around $12 each, yeah, that's cost efficient!!!!

They afix with some basic 3M sticky-stuff that holds them in place very well.

https://www.geekriashop.com/collect...8cs-headphones-cushion-pad-repair-parts-black

I owned a pre-fazor LCD-3 & still own a pre-fazor LCD-2.1. Both have pretty uncomfortable stock headbands. I purchased an Audeze carbon fiber headband, currently on the LCD-2.1. It's huge upgrade in comfort. Hard to overstate how much it means to no longer be consciously aware of the headband while listening...

Jan 8, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #24,619 of 40,712
I owned a pre-fazor LCD-3 & still own a pre-fazor LCD-2.1. Both have pretty uncomfortable stock headbands. I purchased an Audeze carbon fiber headband, currently on the LCD-2.1. It's huge upgrade in comfort. Hard to overstate how much it means to no longer be consciously aware of the headband while listening...
Those headbands run around $200, correct? These little cushions really work wonders, and for the price, it was a no-brainer.

Jan 8, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #24,620 of 40,712
Engine room? Command center?

I think you're leaving out "submarine crew quarters"
That would be NSFW, so not on this fine forum...
In the mean time, the iFi was promoted to the command center, as it was too far away from my desk chair to be confortable.

Jan 8, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #24,621 of 40,712
Those headbands run around $200, correct? These little cushions really work wonders, and for the price, it was a no-brainer.

The Audeze "Springsteel headband" that I purchased was $125:
https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd...1ATO_fY7TnUQ-otF-UMCRxRkfKMV414xoCppcQAvD_BwE

I never thought of replacing the under-headband padding. That's kind of ingenious. But the LCD-2.1's headband in particular is shaped all wrong for my (large) skull: the curve of that round headband is a few degrees too sharp, and the actual metal is very stiff, hard to bend to the right shape.

The new headband is a suspension design, very different from the stock original. I'm soon going to sell my pre-fazor 2.1 w/that new headband on it. I'll naturally ship it w/the stock headband, but I'd bet the ranch no buyer would ever switch back to stock...

Jan 8, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #24,622 of 40,712
I've been interested in that ERA-1 for some time. How do you like that headphone?

They've a hugh potential to be the most musical headphone in its price range, maybe twice the price, imo.
Great low end without any emphasis, in the lows and highs.
Not the typical planar sound, except the speed and articulation.
Like you're listening to well playing speakers, with the intimate headstage of a open back headphone.
The mids are a tiny bit forward, but the other frequencies playing very well around, pushing musicality to a new top in price range.

Dropped the T1, AFC, K812, Ether 2, Clear and several AT's for them. :beyersmile:
Forget to mention, LCD 2C and LCD 3 are not on my list anymore. ^^

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #24,623 of 40,712
The Audeze "Springsteel headband" that I purchased was $125:
https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd-spring-steel-suspension-headband?variant=14058772234284&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&gclid=CjwKCAiAmNbwBRBOEiwAqcwwpUbqkhl8vp19Gew9yomJM-1ATO_fY7TnUQ-otF-UMCRxRkfKMV414xoCppcQAvD_BwE

I bought that one about a year ago, but found that the suspension band touched the metal braces and was no less uncomfortable than the stock headband, so I returned it.

Jan 8, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #24,624 of 40,712
They've a hugh potential to be the most musical headphone in its price range, maybe twice the price, imo.
Great low end without any emphasis, in the lows and highs.
Not the typical planar sound, except the speed and articulation.
Like you're listening to well playing speakers, with the intimate headstage of a open back headphone.
The mids are a tiny bit forward, but the other frequencies playing very well around, pushing musicality to a new top in price range.

Dropped the T1, AFC, K812, Ether 2, Clear and several AT's for them. :beyersmile:
Forget to mention, LCD 2C and LCD 3 are not on my list anymore. ^^

Quite an endorsement. I say I get to listen to everything at our meets, but dang it nobody has brought an ERA1, so I’ve not had the pleasure. You say a “tiny bit” forward in Mids — would that be less upfront than a HD650 or Elear?

Jan 8, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #24,625 of 40,712

Not sure what you mean here, but i have that same $125 headband on my pair...which I bought from @Pharmaboy .

The headband is wonderful in my honest opinion...does not touch any metal braces for me ?
Totally more comfy than stock...I will say I can get a hot spot after about 3 hours...but I move the headband about a half an inch and all is well again.

Not sure what you mean by touching metal braces ? I just checked my again and nothing is touching anything.

DSC03103.JPG

Jan 8, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #24,626 of 40,712
Not sure what you mean here, but i have that same $125 headband on my pair...which I bought from @Pharmaboy .

The headband is wonderful in my honest opinion...does not touch any metal braces for me ?
Totally more comfy than stock...I will say I can get a hot spot after about 3 hours...but I move the headband about a half an inch and all is well again.

Not sure what you mean by touching metal braces ? I just checked my again and nothing is touching anything.

I have seen several reviews of those straps on the new Audeze headband stretch out over time, and then eventually touch the metal. Is the strap on yours real leather or fake leather? I believe the fake leather one's stretch out over time.

Jan 8, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #24,627 of 40,712
well i'm not sure how to explain it better, but I'm saying that when placed on my head, there was no gap between the leather strap and the two strips of metal that are above it. This caused discomfort that nearly as bad as the original headband. Maybe we're not talking about the same type of head band. This was over a year ago.

Bottom line is that the el-cheapo item that my wife got for me works perfectly. I can now wear these fellas for hours on end without any pain or discomfort.

Jan 8, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #24,628 of 40,712
I have seen several reviews of those straps on the new Audeze headband stretch out over time, and then eventually touch the metal. Is the strap on yours real leather or fake leather? I believe the fake leather one's stretch out over time.
I think it is real leather, and sometimes even on brand new headbands the leather already touches the metal. (I bought three brand new LCD2Cs.)
It didn't really bother me, but I can see why some folks find it annoying not to have a bigger gap between the leather strap and the metal on Audeze headbands.

Jan 8, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #24,629 of 40,712

Mine is the fake leather. If it does stretch, the only metal I can see touching would be the metal to the inside of the support rods.
At this point I have an 1/8 inch clearance on both sides.

If it does touch all that I could see happening would be a small mark on the metal part of the headband.

I guess if this would bother some, then grab the fiber carbon for a bit more....I am use to some of the heavier headphones, but these are never heavy to me with this headband, really nice weight distribution.

Jan 8, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #24,630 of 40,712
Quite an endorsement. I say I get to listen to everything at our meets, but dang it nobody has brought an ERA1, so I’ve not had the pleasure. You say a “tiny bit” forward in Mids — would that be less upfront than a HD650 or Elear?

It's very special and hard to explain. I mean, not emphased or something. It's just to enjoy the music and the vocals.
I'm not good at sound description, sorry. :)

I rather enjoy to listen to music then analysing.

Never heard the HD 650.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back