Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Dec 18, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #24,496 of 40,712
I have been browsing this thread since joining to get a sense of what gear to consider. What I have noticed is there is quite a few set ups with multiple amps, some nearly identical in terms of solid state or tube. Forgive my ignorance as I am a recent convert to the world of head-fi, what is the differentiator for those of you that own multiple amps in the same set up? I understand different types of headphone require specific amps, such as electrostatics and similar. I am really curious as to the approach one should take in acquiring additional gear in the realm of head-fi.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I’ll +1 on @Wes S comments and add a couple more thoughts. Having a second amp, perhaps a small one, can be handy to slot into my system if I start listening and “something seems wrong”. Quicker problem solving.

If you have any opportunities to go to meets and listen, it’s invaluable. Here in Seattle I get to listen to nearly all the available reference cans, dacs, and amps. Certainly can’t buy all that stuff to try it.

Dec 18, 2019 at 7:02 PM Post #24,497 of 40,712
For me, it is all about synergy. Some headphones sound better with a certain system, depending on the type of music being listened to. It is all about fine tuning a specific sound I am after. It is also, nice to have a rotation of complimentary gear, as to keep things fresh and exciting. For me, with just 1 setup, it is sometimes possible to just get bored with it, no matter how good it is. Of course, I still have not heard lots of "Summit Fi" gear, and that might change things, but for now with my limited funds it is nice to have multiple mid level setups, to keep things exciting. Just my 2 cents.

Also, if it were me, I would figure out what kind of sound signature I like, and then search for gear that fits that description, and start chatting with people that have similar taste. This forum is full of great info, and you can really learn from others. I found a few members early on, that had the same preferences in sound and just followed their lead.

Thank you!

Dec 19, 2019 at 5:33 AM Post #24,498 of 40,712
Thank you!
Glad to help! If you discover you like a "musical" or warm/ organic sound signature, feel free to pm me anytime, and I am happy to share what I have learned. I don't do the analytical sound signature ever, because I listen loud and long, for pure enjoyment.

Dec 20, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #24,499 of 40,712
IMG_1731.jpg

Dec 21, 2019 at 3:58 AM Post #24,501 of 40,712
I guess that rules out open tube amps for you!

Cat + high voltage = not a good idea...

Dec 21, 2019 at 4:26 AM Post #24,503 of 40,712
Purr-fect!

Dec 21, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #24,505 of 40,712
so this is why the "pet-free" home is important?

:)

Dec 21, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #24,506 of 40,712
Hd800s becomes more intimate with the vocals, sounds warm and smooth with pathos. None fatiguing, just a joy to listen to for hours and hours!

KakaoTalk_Photo_2019-12-22-07-17-51.jpeg

Dec 21, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #24,509 of 40,712
Dec 21, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #24,510 of 40,712
It has to be the best looking tube amp I've ever seen

It's actually a hybrid amp: tube input + mosfet output. And it's one of the rare hybrids described as truly combining the best of tubes (mids, treble, 3D/palpability) with SS (dynamics, bass impact/reach).

The price is high and I already have way too many amps. Still, I feel this one calling my name...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back