Shoving Comply tips -into- silicone tips?
Jul 23, 2011 at 4:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Soaa-

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone ever done that?

I got curious about the Sony hybrid tips that keep getting mentioned around here, but didn't feel like ordering a set. I figured, since I have two pair of Comply tips that came with my UE 700, might as well DIY and do some surgery. It was surprisingly easy to get the plastic sleeves out of the Comply tips. I took a hobby knife and just slowly cut around the spot in between the sleeve and the foam, and eventually the sleeve came out with little resistance. I then inverted my silicone tips and slipped the now foam-only Comply tips onto the stems. I found that it's easier to slip them on backwards, since the hole where the plastic sleeve used to be is bigger. I flipped the silicone back and made my very own hybrids.

I'll update with pics and reports on isolation and comfort later. In the meantime, I invite any other (mildly) adventurous Head-Fiers to do the same and report their findings.

Jul 23, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #2 of 11
I tried that sometime back with Auvio tips + Comply tubes for my RE-ZERO when I had them.  The results were excellent both in sound and comfort.

Jul 23, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #4 of 11
Ah well, I wasn't going to use the Comply tips anyway. I've always preferred silicone tips.

Jul 23, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #6 of 11

Quote:
people have been doing this with cheaper foam earplugs for years. No need to waste a pair of comply

Unless you already have them on hand.

Jul 24, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #8 of 11
Tried this mod on Westone 4's and isolation was very good compared to just silicon tips but sound became warmer overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back