Should I upgrade from the Amperior to Sennheiser Momentum?
Jun 14, 2013 at 8:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Hifi Man

100+ Head-Fier
So I have about 10 days left in my 2 month time frame to return the Sennheiser Amperiors to VMinnovations. I can either return them for a full refund in store credit and pay for the Momentums for 245 dollars (I originally paid 175 for  the amperior). I want to decide if it would be a huge upgrade in sound. I imagine the sound stage would be a big difference. I listen to a lot of different kinds of music 

Including most of the things on this chart. So i want to decide if I should upgrade or not, because if the sound quality is better I'm definitely sold, because my ears are sore from wearing the amperiors sometimes.

Jun 14, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #2 of 17
It's not an upgrade, it's a sidegrade. They have very different sound signatures.

In comparison to the Amperiors, the Momentums will sound much more mid oriented and with a lot less treble, so much darker/duller. The bass may well be considered worse. They will also probably sound slower but should indeed have a bit better soundstage (I've never heard the Amperiors, only HD25s).

http://en.goldenears.net/16315
http://en.goldenears.net/19104

Keep in mind the Momentums are also very small for circumaurals, so you may still have confort issues; I don't really understand what Sennheiser was aiming at. I have small ears and they only barely fit.

Jun 14, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #3 of 17
Can anyone tell me if these will isolate from wind noise when I'm riding my bike?

Jun 14, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:
It's not an upgrade, it's a sidegrade. They have very different sound signatures.

In comparison to the Amperiors, the Momentums will sound much more mid oriented and with a lot less treble, so much darker/duller. The bass may well be considered worse. They will also probably sound slower but should indeed have a bit better soundstage (I've never heard the Amperiors, only HD25s).

Keep in mind the Momentums are also very small for circumaurals, so you may still have confort issues; I don't really understand what Sennheiser was aiming at. I have small ears and they only barely fit.

x2 although I would say mids are more forward on the Amperior. To my ears, they are very different. One is laidback and one is pretty aggressive. Soundstage is similar. It would be a sidegrade but it depends on what kind of sound sig you prefer.

Also I should add that I prefer the HD25 over both. They're more in between those signatures. Not as aggressive as the Amperior and not as laidback as the Momentum. More neutral to my ears.

Not sure about wind noise with the Momentums (didn't have them that long) but I'd imagine if you have a good seal it shouldn't be a problem.

Jun 14, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

So they're not necessarily worse? I'm very used to the Bose AE2 headphones, I've had those for years. I don't really care for the Sennheiser Amperior headphones because I think they're too upfront and in my ear and they're uncomfortable to wear. So I figure I'll really like the Momentums, right? I think the Amperiors just have too much bass, not enough sound stage, too uncomfortable to wear. I want something easy on the ears. I could just not get the Momentums and return the amperiors if the momentums aren't much of an upgrade from the AE2.

Jun 14, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #7 of 17
Sounds like the Momentums would be more to your liking. They have a rich warm sound to them. Soundstage is not that wide though. I'd also recommend the Sony MDR-1R. Those have a bigger soundstage, warm tonality, mids are upfront but overall it's nowhere near as aggressive as the Amperiors.

Jun 15, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #8 of 17
[size=13.63636302947998px]Please help me understand what people mean when they say a headphone is 'not good' for a specific genre of music. I'm told the Sennheiser Momentum wouldn't be good for metal music, but relative to what? would the sound alright compared to headphones of a lower cost like my Bose AE2?[/size]

Jun 15, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #9 of 17
I've actually heard the AE2s (I think), they have a nice warm and laid back sound, right? The Momentums are similar, only better, but they do have more bass, which can feel overwhelming. Neither of them are good choices for metal because they are slow and don't have raised treble for guitar riffs, and metal doesn't really go well with a lot of (slow) bass either.

I also noticed a lack of upper mids/lower treble on the Momentums, that you can see in GoldenEars' graph. It's not noticeable in pop or rock music, but it is in symphonic music (if you know what to expect). I didn't try metal with them, so I don't know if this will be an issue and they're still better than the AE2s in this regard, obviously.
They do have great mids, which IMO metal kind of needs to separate the vocals from the rest of the wall of instrumentals that the genre often has.

Overall, I do think the Momentums are the best portable headphones out there, but they still have too many flaws to be worth $300, IMO. Not counting Bose or Beats, of course.

Thing is, there isn't a better alternative. Portable, closed, for metal I'd say HD25 but that one's ruled out here... If you are a lucky person, maybe the DT1350, don't know how they are confort wise, though.

Aug 30, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #10 of 17
Sigh. I can't figure out if I want to get Momentums or Amperiors to listen to on the go (will use HD600s at home). I like my HD600s so much, I figure I might like something else by Sennheiser. This is probably not great reasoning though!

Aug 30, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #11 of 17
Honestly, I would stick with the Amperior. They are better IMO but the Momentum is more comfortable for me. 

Sep 11, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #12 of 17
I visited my local electrical store today. I listened to every headphone in the shop including the Momentum and the smaller more bassy on ear versions. The Amperiors are superior they blue everything else out of the water. A beautiful wide soundstage and perfect bass. I went to visit the store for a micro SD card for my Hifiman 901 with no intention of buying another headphone. I am going back tomorrow and ill purchase. I already own a pair of balanced HD 600,S. Keep your Amperior s they are better and for the money they are staggering good you won't get better.My only gripe is that they look awful. Read innerfidelitys review and watch the video.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/most-excellent-sennheiser-amperior-and-hd-25-1-ii-page-2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back