Should I sell on eBay or Head-Fi?
Oct 27, 2013 at 3:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

bhaugen

New Head-Fier
Hi HeadFi Members,

I'm hoping to get feedback on where I can expect to get the best price and the sort of range I should expect if I were to list my equipment -- HE-400, E17 and E09K -- as a combination on either Head-Fi or eBay. 

I don't really spend enough time listening to the setup so I'm hoping that I can get some of the money back that I invested in it. The AMP and AMP/DAC are about 3 months old, the headphones are about 14 months old (with a carrying case, original cable and brand new stock cable) and all are in mint condition.

I hope this is the right place to ask this sort of question but any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Oct 27, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #2 of 21
I would guess if you put the stuff up for bid on eBay, you would make more cash.
Or sell your stuff for a little bit less on Head-Fi because your a "nice guy".

Oct 27, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #3 of 21
From my experience, You will want to list all flagships and the more expensive cans on Head-fi.

Lower end cans you will want to list on Ebay.

People are ready and willing to buy flagships on this site as they are fresh off a hype train usually.

a thing to also bear in mind that even when you list on Ebay you will also to a reasonably small degree be selling to head-fiers. I know that i check both the used FS forums and Ebay on a very common basis, and i doubt it there are many who don't.

I think the best way to get the most money is to list your headphones on Ebay with a reserve you would be happy enough with, but also list them on head-fi for a more premium price, and let whatever plays out play out.

Of course you can also, always just check the used section here to estimate a rough going price, and then comparing that with the Ebay "going" rate.

Happy selling

Oct 27, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #4 of 21
  I would guess if you put the stuff up for bid on eBay, you would make more cash.
Or sell your stuff for a little bit less on Head-Fi because your a "nice guy".

ALSO head fi Karma. Sell cheap and you will buy cheap! I've gotten some epic deals on head fi... I've also been the one to sell some EPIC gear for an epic price 

so sell on head fi, it's like an investment into your Audio Future 

Oct 27, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #5 of 21
Thanks for all the advice, guys! 

I was thinking Head-Fi, especially with the ridiculous eBay/PayPal fees. I like the idea of selling through the Head-Fi community rather than some corporate monolith.

Now I just need enough posts to be able to list, which might take me awhile.. 

Oct 27, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #7 of 21
If it were me, I would sell the headphones and the electronics separately, not as a package. If you sell as a package, then you have to find a buyer that wants all the items. OTOH, if you sell the headphones in the headphone buy/sell forum and the E17/E09 in the amp buy/sell forum, you can sell to BOTH people that want it all AND people that only need one or the other. If someone makes you a deal for both, then you can always package them together.

Oct 27, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #8 of 21
If it were me, I would sell the headphones and the electronics separately, not as a package. If you sell as a package, then you have to find a buyer that wants all the items. OTOH, if you sell the headphones in the headphone buy/sell forum and the E17/E09 in the amp buy/sell forum, you can sell to BOTH people that want it all AND people that only need one or the other. If someone makes you a deal for both, then you can always package them together.

actually I like to offer a Deal on the package for like a week when I can, then I offer spilt ups! I actually got a chance to sell my entire old home rig to a head fi'r and he's happy with it! So It's worth it imo to have packages for those rare head fi members who can't do as much reaserach as some of us can

and yea we are a giving community :3 sharing is careing and we all just want to SHARE the headphone luv! 

Oct 27, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #9 of 21
Selling on Head-fi could get you more money if you are willing to wait for the right buyer. Ebay fees are just ridiculous and might not attract many who are urgent enough to pay a fair price.

Oct 27, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #11 of 21
Sell on Head-Fi and find buyer willing to use Bitcoin for payment (look into it if you haven't already) and use escrow.

Cheapest (lowest transaction fees) and safest method.

Oct 27, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #13 of 21
When you are a seller, you want to attract the biggest population of potential buyers. Having restrictions on not using paypal, or making them use gift payments is only going to limit your audience. I just pass those ads by - I'm a legitimate buyer and I don't want to screw around with any of that nonsense. IMHO, if you want more money, then price it higher - don't try to make the buyer pay all the fees.

Oct 27, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #14 of 21
  I would think about Bitcoin if the exchange rate wasn't so volatile or, has it evened out a 'bit'..

Its still quite volatile. But you could list the items at $US and then convert $US to Bitcoin at the time of sale.

I am new to Bitcoin and have no real holding, so I'm no expert on it. But I can see its potential for revolutionizing how we conduct internet transactions.

It is especially suited to Head-Fi, where there is the element of trust/ distrust in buying and selling with strangers across the globe, and little/ difficult recourse actions if scammed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back