Should I sell my Beats Pro for AKG701?
Feb 27, 2012 at 11:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

MrAwesome

New Head-Fier

[size=small]I like to listen to Rock, Hard Rock, Rock n Roll, Classic Rock, Pop-Rock, Orchestral band instrumental, Jazz, Blues. I Basically like 60's-70's music and pop stuff like j-pop[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]Top bands I listen too [/size]

[size=small][/size]
[size=small]The Beatles[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small]Led Zeppelin[/size]

[size=small]Wings[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small]The Who[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small]Queen[/size]

[size=small]My friend wants to buy my Beats Pro mint condition, I was think about selling it for [/size][size=small]$280 [/size][size=small]so I can get my self a pair of AKG 701's 

I know there are alot of haters of Beats products, but the Pros are not that bad. I just don't know how the AKG's sound.
[/size]

Feb 27, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #2 of 31
I think that's gonna be too much of a sound signature shock for you. The K701s are about as bass light as headphones get. Very analytical and pretty much the polar opposite of Beats.

There's plenty of good options to ease out of those Beats. Depends what you want? What are you looking for sonically and functionally? Where are you listening primarily?

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #5 of 31
It's probably also a good idea to extensively demo and compare the sound sigs of the two headphones. With the K701, is this really the sound signature (insane treble, anemic bass) that you want? Or do you want a more fun, bass driven, warm sounding headphone? Do some demoing of headphones in that range, then decide. Might just stumble on another headphone you really like.

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #7 of 31
Hold it right there.

From your other thread, http://www.head-fi.org/t/595093/akg-or-bose:

Quote:
[size=small]I also DISLIKE music leakage (I like to put my music in a fairly high level when I jam [/size]
scaled.php
[size=small]) and I don't want others listening in too my music, I also don't hearing other noises (e.g plane noise, train rail noise, city noise, car noise etc) So I want a fairly good noise Cancellation, with minimum to no music leakage.[/size]

Did you completely ignore all the advice and opinions in that other thread? Or have you changed your mind about leakage and blocking out other noise?

Feb 28, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #8 of 31
MrAwesome.
What source(s) are you going to be plugging the headphones into?

Feb 28, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #9 of 31
The Denon AH-D2000 might be the safest bet.  It just does everything well and brings sub bass to the table.

Alesandro MS2 would be a heavy hitting rock and roots phone.  I have the MS1 and MS2's cousin the Grado 325.  Alesandros are slightly toned down Grados.

AKG Q 701 for great clarity and improved soundstage, but less bass.

Beyer DT 770 Pro (closed) or (more expensive but still in your range) DT 880 Pro (open)--bright and fun like the Grado--just not as much.

Feb 28, 2012 at 7:30 AM Post #11 of 31
Thanks for your response, heard a lot about Beyer DT 770 Pro and am now more interested in trying them, having enjoyed a pair of Grado MS1.  

Feb 28, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #13 of 31

Sorry about that, I did copy and paste. Its just due to save time, and I’m conveying the same info. I don’t care about leakage. I just want a good sound.  Also what stores can demo these headphones? I live in the Chicago land area (Bartlett), and my Bestbuys only sell main stream things.  

Feb 28, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #14 of 31

Quote:
Its kinda funny since you use that sentence every time!

I think it's important, they are lots of possible source(s) someone can be using.

Feb 28, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #15 of 31

Quote:
Thanks for your response, heard a lot about Beyer DT 770 Pro and am now more interested in trying them, having enjoyed a pair of Grado MS1.  

I really like my Beyerdynamics (I own 3), but you really should have some sort of a headphone amplifier to use with them, brings out their best.
What source(s) are you using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back