Should I return my HD555s?
May 21, 2011 at 11:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Crynix

New Head-Fier
Well I bought a pair of HD555's from Amazon on Tuesday and they finally arrived today. I've been listening to them and plan to burn them in with pink noise during the nights for the next few weeks. I would say sound quality is OKAY as of now. Should I let them burn in? Or should I exchange them and buy a different pair of headphones? If so, what pair should I buy (my MAX budget is $200). I am completely new to the idea of "Audiophile" headphones and all I have amp-wise is a Fast Track II from M-Audio (does that even count?)

May 22, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #2 of 20
Well, you could try the foam mod, most people like that.  But it'd probably void your warranty if you're not careful in opening it...though if you do it well enough nobody would be able to tell by looking at it.

What is it you don't like about them though?  And what kind of source are you using?  I don't think burning them in will help much, the 5x5s don't seem to respond to that very much.

May 22, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #3 of 20
I'm using a MacBook Pro with Lossless FLAC files. The output it put to a Fast Track II Pre-Amp (by usb) and then given to my HD555's (6.5 jack of course). It just feels like there's no bass AT ALL

May 22, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #4 of 20
Hm, well, the 555s definitely don't move much air.  The bass response of my 595 is fine for me, but I guess if you're a basshead or are more used to headphones with stronger bass then you'd be disappointed by these.  I'd say use them for awhile and if you don't like the way the bass is represented, there are other better choices out there for you.  The 5x5 is known for not having much bass slam, after all, and I can relate to that.

That said, the bass is more realistic than most bass heavy 'phones out there.  It's very tight and punchy, and I actually like it a lot.  But if you add bass boost to it, it can dish out more quantity but it might start to get boomy/start to cover up the other frequencies.

May 22, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #6 of 20
If you need more bass, the 555's are not for you. Please give us more details on what you like. 

May 22, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #7 of 20

Quote:
Hm, well, the 555s definitely don't move much air.  The bass response of my 595 is fine for me, but I guess if you're a basshead or are more used to headphones with stronger bass then you'd be disappointed by these.  I'd say use them for awhile and if you don't like the way the bass is represented, there are other better choices out there for you.  The 5x5 is known for not having much bass slam, after all, and I can relate to that.

That said, the bass is more realistic than most bass heavy 'phones out there.  It's very tight and punchy, and I actually like it a lot.  But if you add bass boost to it, it can dish out more quantity but it might start to get boomy/start to cover up the other frequencies.

I'm not a bass head, I just want to hear bass in my music. I rarely hear any bass-guitar in my music, and the bass that I do hear isn't very clear. I've read that this will be corrected with the burn in. (they already sound better after 6 hours)

Quote:
What kind of music do you listen to and why did you choose the 555 over something else you were considering?

I mostly listen to rock, but I also listen to a little pop. I wasn't really considering anything else.

Quote:
If you need more bass, the 555's are not for you. Please give us more details on what you like. 

I don't need more bass, I just want my bass to be accurately presented. I just want to hear close to what it was supposed to sound like.

May 22, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #8 of 20
Try out the foam mod then, but be careful.  I don't think it'll void any warranty if you don't scratch up the inside of it, since it's totally reversible as long as you don't rip any cables out by accident.  I find, though, that the 595 is best with classical.  Not so good for pop and rock.  You might want something more like a Grado for rock.

May 22, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #10 of 20

Quote:
Try out the foam mod then, but be careful.  I don't think it'll void any warranty if you don't scratch up the inside of it, since it's totally reversible as long as you don't rip any cables out by accident.  I find, though, that the 595 is best with classical.  Not so good for pop and rock.  You might want something more like a Grado for rock.

Would you recommend any Grado headphones? And do you recommend to do the foam mod before or after the burn-in?

May 22, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #11 of 20
The foam mod just consists of pulling out a little bit of foam behind the driver...it apparently makes it a little clearer and opens it up a bit, but I have the 595 which doesn't need the foam mod so I can't really comment much on it.

I don't know much about Grados either, but most of them are quite similar.  People always recommend them for rock though, since they have a rather aggressive signature to them.  I have been intending to get a Grado for some time now though...

May 22, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #12 of 20

Quote:
The foam mod just consists of pulling out a little bit of foam behind the driver...it apparently makes it a little clearer and opens it up a bit, but I have the 595 which doesn't need the foam mod so I can't really comment much on it.

I don't know much about Grados either, but most of them are quite similar.  People always recommend them for rock though, since they have a rather aggressive signature to them.  I have been intending to get a Grado for some time now though...

Thanks for the input, I'm doing the foam mod as of this moment.

May 22, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #13 of 20
i had a hd555 & sold it doubly quick for the very same issue u have. trebles fine but there's no body to the music atleast for me. me thinks u'd do much better with the hd598 which just happens to be priced rite for u. return it & get the hd598 i says. YMMV ofcos

May 22, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #14 of 20

Quote:
i had a hd555 & sold it doubly quick for the very same issue u have. trebles fine but there's no body to the music atleast for me. me thinks u'd do much better with the hd598 which just happens to be priced rite for u. return it & get the hd598 i says. YMMV ofcos

I just did the foam mod and there's a HUGE improvement in the bass. It is way "fuller" and the music has more of a body. After I burn them in I'll make my final decision.

May 22, 2011 at 3:04 AM Post #15 of 20
Send them back and get a 558 for $120 instead.  Or a 598 for $170.  M50 and HFI580 are options also depending on tastes.  Check out the Superlux 668B too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back