Should I Paint My Car?
Mar 31, 2006 at 2:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

zowie

Headphoneus Supremus
97 Mustang. 105k. Runs perfect but looks like crap - clear coat flaking off and lots of scratches thanks to the moronic parking attendants at the lot at work. Seems like it'd be a waste of money. But I'm gonna keep it for a while and hate being seen in a crappy looking car.

New paint or not?

Mar 31, 2006 at 2:22 AM Post #2 of 16
only if the paint is damaged to the point where the body is starting to corrode

Mar 31, 2006 at 2:26 AM Post #4 of 16
I voted yes, but then realized maybe more info is needed. Is painting the car something you want to do? Is it in the budget? My truck needs a paint job, but I can't be bothered.

Mar 31, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #5 of 16
Good responses! I knew this was the place to come.

I can easily afford it but still don't like to piss away money frivolously.
I have another car to drive while it's being worked on.
Bare metal is not exposed. Some bare plastic is on the bumpers, although that's of course just cosmetic, plastic doesn't rust.

Mar 31, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #6 of 16
Ok, here is something you can do to help the paint improve significantly.

Buy 2,000 grit sand paper, tape, soft block, heavy/medium rubbing compund, light polishing, and wax. Then:
-Wash and dry car.
-Tape all the edges (1/2" tape is good)
-Remove as much of the trim as you can
-Put a couple of drops of dishwasher soap in a bucket of warm water.
-Wet the sand paper and go over the entire car making sure you apply even pressure and be careful on the edges
-Wash/dry car again
-Go over the car with the heavy/medium rubbing compound using an orbital polisher
-Wash/dry
-Go over the car with the light polishing compound using the orbital
-Wax

If the paint is not that bad then do not use the 2,000 grit sandpaper.

Mar 31, 2006 at 3:14 AM Post #10 of 16
I would do it, if you're capable. A good paint job will increase the vehicle's resale value, and it will make you feel proud to drive it in the interim. However, a good paint job is a fairly challenging undertaking. If you've never done it before, do your research before starting. If you're taking it somewhere, there is a vast difference between shops. Get a recommendation from a local car club (or find a shop that does antique auto restorations, they're usually good), and whatever you do, don't go to Maaco.

Mar 31, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by zowie
Good responses! I knew this was the place to come.

I can easily afford it but still don't like to piss away money frivolously.
I have another car to drive while it's being worked on.
Bare metal is not exposed. Some bare plastic is on the bumpers, although that's of course just cosmetic, plastic doesn't rust.

In that case I would suggest saving your money.

You'll never get it back out of the car at the time of resale so there really is no point IMO.

No offense, sincerely, but I doubt too many people are checking out 97 Mustangs on the road these days...even if they are sporting new paintjobs. I have a 1990 Civic that is hurting for a paint job as well but it will continue to hurt for years to come. It's my beater and as long as it continues to get me 33mpg in the city that is all that matters right now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanY
A good paint job will increase the vehicle's resale value

No way. Not on a 97 Mustang.

Actually, to me, a repaint is a major turnoff because it makes me ask questions as to whether the car has been in a wreck or not. I'd rather have a car that is 100% OEM, bad paint included, but that is just my preference.

Mar 31, 2006 at 6:43 AM Post #12 of 16
let that baby run until it dissolves into the asphalt. in the meantime, treat your ears to cans, instead of your eyes to a repainted 'stang!

Mar 31, 2006 at 12:02 PM Post #13 of 16
I didn't vote, but recently repainted my 91 CRX. Great condition but clearcoat going. Also looked like it had a macco paintjob done, b/c window seals were painted over and cracking.

I ended up getting it repainted same color, and having it done correctly, and had all the seals on the windows and trim replaced. Cost a bit, but was well worth it.

If car is paid for, you like it, and it is running well, paint it. It will increase the value, and keep you from buying a new car.
smily_headphones1.gif
Just DON't GET A CHEAP PAINTJOB. It's not much more to go get it done correctly. As Maaco and cheap places will cost you $300-500. A good paintjob shouldn't be more then $1200-1500. It is worth it in the long run to get it done correctly.

I look at it like this. Basic Maintence to keep a car up, is cheaper then a new car payment. That's one reason I do not mind spending $1000 every 6 months or yr, on some different maintence for my CRX. Well I probably wouldn't though if I did not love it.

Mar 31, 2006 at 7:33 PM Post #15 of 16
A virtual tie, both in votes and compellingness of arguments. No wonder I can't decide.

Right now I'm leaning towards no paint. While I like the car a lot, it's basically an urban commuter, and I don't feel that soulmate thing I've occassionally had with other vehicles. And sometimes audio gear.

I can always put the money into my other ride that's needing a new interior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back