Should I keep my (overly bright) Grado GH3 headphones?
Jun 30, 2020 at 3:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

rhz

New Head-Fier
I have enjoyed an old pair of Grado SR 60's for many years, I thought about upgrading and bought a pair of GH3's. While more detailed and with better bass, I find the high end to sometimes be harsh. I haven't worn them for more than a couple of hours, so not much burn-in.

I've read that Grados can be too bright, but didn't have that experience with the cheap SR 60's.

Should I give these more time in the hope that this will change after more burn-in, or just look for something else? I do enjoy the comfort of Grados as well. So, not sure if something like the SR325e's might be better. (I can't spend more than $350 total.)

Thanks

Jun 30, 2020 at 4:50 AM Post #2 of 6
That piercing treble isn't going to go away with burn in.
SR325e isn't quite as piercing as the older SR325i, but it's not treble-shy either.

I'm kind of tempted to suggest the SR80e since I remember that one being more balanced and smooth sounding, but I don't recall how different it is to the SR325e. It's been a few months since I heard either of them.

Jun 30, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #4 of 6
I wouldn't do anything hasty. Headphones are electro-mechanical devices, they need 60-100 hours to burn in. I own the SR60 and GH4, and have heard the GH3, which I quite liked. The GH3 is not bright compared to the current Grado lineup. If after burn-in you are still not happy, I would suggest that Grado is not for you.

I have to wonder what you are using with the GH3. Maybe there's a problem upstream that the Grado is simply reproducing?

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #5 of 6
I wouldn't do anything hasty. Headphones are electro-mechanical devices, they need 60-100 hours to burn in. I own the SR60 and GH4, and have heard the GH3, which I quite liked. The GH3 is not bright compared to the current Grado lineup. If after burn-in you are still not happy, I would suggest that Grado is not for you.

I have to wonder what you are using with the GH3. Maybe there's a problem upstream that the Grado is simply reproducing?

In my experience headphones don't have harsh heights on themselfes. It's more like the source makes them sound harsh. And i have or had headphones which are said to have harsh heights like Grado and Fostex TH900.

Taken it to extreme if you hook up one of these headphones for example on the following chain:

Laptop -> Cheap Fiio Amp -> Headphone
it will likely sound harsh.

If you hook it on

3000 € totl streamer -> 2000 € totl dac -> 5000 € totl amp > headphone, all connected with good cables and clean power it will not sound harsh.

Now ofc it makes no sense to buy a 10k system for 300 € Grados and i don't wanna promote cables because it's controversial. But that's my experience. Some headphones are just more sensitive to the source infront of them and if there's something not 100% perfect like a little distortion in the amp section they will sound bright and harsh.

In my experience buying a high quality streamer (like SotM) and a good measuring amp and dac (like JDS) connected with good quality cables and a clean power source eliminates every harshness in every headphone.

Jun 30, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #6 of 6

Thanks. This is a valid point. I'm just using them with a laptop. I don't have a very good amp at the moment. I guess I could try the headphones across the lower quality amps I do have and see if I hear the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back