Should I go Stax?
Sep 30, 2002 at 7:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

RVD

500+ Head-Fier
This is the deal. I recently got the Sony v6 and have been listening to them non-stop for a couple a days and sadly enough have preferred them to the Grado HP-2 and the Etymotic ER4P. The thing I like most about the Sony v6 is the amount of detail they reveal. I know the Stax are supposed to be the best at retrieving detail and this seems to be what I want most from a headphone, judging by my preference for the Sony v6 and also that is what I seem to notice most about the differences in headphones. If I were to go with the Stax I would be going with the 4040 system, as I can't afford the Omega 2 system. So my questions are as follows:

1. Are the Stax what I am looking for?

2. Is there anything else I should consider for the most detailed sound?

3. I know Stax are very source dependent; would the Sony 333es be a good enough source for the Stax?

Any response is appreciated. Thanks

Sep 30, 2002 at 7:50 PM Post #2 of 25
Sony MDR-V6 better than the Grado HP-2? I almost fell off my chair.
biggrin.gif
There are a lot of things contributing to the detail that you hear. Headphones are only a part of it. Different interconnects will make a difference also. The Sony is a fine source for under $1000. A Stax system will provide you with a lot of detail. I just found most of them to sound rather cold.

Sep 30, 2002 at 8:12 PM Post #4 of 25
Hey, the man likes the V6 more than the HP2, who are you to take that away from him?
rolleyes.gif
Acidtripwow: I doubt that it's the interconnects that are the reason RVD does perceive as much detail from the V6 as the HP2. I think that he likes a sound that leans on bright (thus, more perceived detail) and while the V6 fits that bill (from what I've read), the HP2 and the Etys have a neutral, softer sounding treble. This is the reason why I think RVD prefers the V6 over the others.

RVD: If you're looking for a higher-priced headphone with more "detail" (i.e. brighter), than the HP2 or the Etys, have you tried the Grado SR325 or even the RS-1? I'm sure that one of those will have plenty of "detail" for you.
wink.gif

Sep 30, 2002 at 8:33 PM Post #5 of 25
I don't find Sony MDR-V6 bright. I owned the V6 for six years before giving them away. I now own the Grado HP-1000 and don't agree that the V6 is more detailed. It's possible something is flawed with that particular HP-1000.

Or, it could be anything upstream. The Grado is less sensitive than the V6 and seems fussier about amplifiers and such.

The good thing about Stax is that you're almost forced to use an amplifier that mates well with the headphone (RELATIVELY, Kevin, step off). Anyway... for that reason alone, you may like the Stax.

Possible reasons to avoid Stax:
1) If your source sucks
2) If you prefer visceral bass

Sep 30, 2002 at 9:36 PM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Sony MDR-V6 better than the Grado HP-2? I almost fell off my chair.

Honestly, I think the major influences that lead me to say the v6 are better then the HP-2 is the price difference and the isolation. I paid $45 for the v6 and $300 for the HP-2, and maybe subconsciously I was making up for the flaws of the v6 and this lead me to say the v6 are better then the HP-2. Also at the time it wasn't dead silent in the room I was listening and maybe the v6 allowed me to hear more detail then the HP-2 due to it's closed design.

Quote:

have you tried the Grado SR325 or even the RS-1? I'm sure that one of those will have plenty of "detail" for you.

I actually sold my SR80's because I thought they were too bright, and I auditioned the SR325 and thought the same. Maybe I do like a bright sound though and maybe the word I should have been using to describe the SR80 and SR325 was harsh? The RS-1 does interest me though because it is supposed to be less harsh then the SR series.

Quote:

Or, it could be anything upstream. The Grado is less sensitive than the V6 and seems fussier about amplifiers and such.

I am using a Meta42 to drive the HP-2 and a Sony NS500v; the specs of the Meta42 are as follows:

Burr-Brown OPA627
4x stacked EL2002 buffers
Alps Blue pot
ELNA Cerafines 470uF/25v
Wima MKS-2 caps
Biased to Class A
Internal Liner Power Supply
Vishay Resistors

I realize these components aren't the greatest, but I figured they would drive the HP-2 adequately.

Sep 30, 2002 at 9:46 PM Post #7 of 25
RVD
I'd agree that I'd think that equipment adequate to perceive greater resolution with the Grado HP-2 given that there aren't any problems with any of the hardware.

I agree that the V6 is a better bang for the buck but in the same way that a VW Golf is a better bang for the buck than a Porsche 911. Both will get you to the grocery store and hey, the Golf is more practical for trunk space. But you're saying the Golf smoked the 911 off the line and I just can't help but wonder if something unusual went wrong.

Let us know if you do more ABing in a quieter environment. Keep in mind that the Stax are open design too (except for the expensive 4070 which has not been as well received).

Sep 30, 2002 at 9:50 PM Post #8 of 25
Well price shouldn't factor into your audio perception too much. But if it does...well hey you can make around 100% profit on your HP-2's...which is more than you can from reselling the V6. Do they sound better now?

Sep 30, 2002 at 10:27 PM Post #9 of 25
Some people don't like the Sonys but they offer a pretty good sound, some of them of course, (they've made a lot of crap specially in the last years) but the V6 is a good one, I own a pair of MDR 7509 and they are excellent also, most of the people don't like the music so neutral and bored like the sound of a lot of very high claimed cans, sometimes and for some kind of music like hard rock, etc...I prefer the Sony to the HD600, sorry, maybe this is the right way of listening the music in an studio or a very well recorded music, but is not the way I heard the music when I go ot a live concert, and most of the general public, including me, are not used to it, I have not the chance of listening anybody playing in an studio to compare, I've never tried that Grado, but maybe is true that the sound is maybe a little neutral (or a lot)

Sep 30, 2002 at 11:29 PM Post #10 of 25
RVD,
Another Head-Fier, Duncan, loves his Sony MDR-V6's; so maybe you're not so crazy after all!

Sep 30, 2002 at 11:36 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by The Quality Guru
RVD,
Another Head-Fier, Duncan, loves his Sony MDR-V6's; so maybe you're not so crazy after all!

Or maybe Head-Fi's crazy limit is greater than one.
cool.gif

Oct 1, 2002 at 12:10 AM Post #12 of 25
Well, I have been listening in a quiet environment and I now realize that my initial reaction was due to being in a not so quiet environment and not do to me making up for the v6's flaws, because they are cheaper. When I was listening originally I wasn't in a noisy environment by no means, but my little sister's room is right across the hall from mine and she had her TV on and it was leaking into my room and that is why the v6's had more detail to me then the HP-2, due to the v6’s isolation.

The more I listen though I realize that the HP-2 is actually more detailed and better headphone then the v6. The v6 though is a very good value for the money, and I really do like the v6 and I see why Duncan liked the v6 so much. I am still very interested in the Stax's, despite me finding the HP-2’s to be better then the v6’s.

Oct 1, 2002 at 2:25 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by RVD
The more I listen though I realize that the HP-2 is actually more detailed and better headphone then the v6. The v6 though is a very good value for the money, and I really do like the v6 and I see why Duncan liked the v6 so much. I am still very interested in the Stax's, despite me finding the HP-2’s to be better then the v6’s.

So... all of this pissing and fussing and moaning was only to accomplish one thing... and that was to have an excuse to get a pair of Stax?!
very_evil_smiley.gif
What a weird little equipment path you're heading in: first Etys, then HP-2 (I think), then a steep descent to V6, and now, consideration for a steep, steep (steep!) climb to a pair of uber-Stax?

Do yourself a favor, RVD, and repeat this to yourself, a couple (hundred) times: I don't need Stax! I have a pair of Grado HP-2's and they're good enough!

Oct 1, 2002 at 2:42 AM Post #14 of 25
i've had my staxes for about a month and a half, and i just bought er-4ps with 4s converter cable. to be fair, the 4ps have only been burning in for the past 6 hrs or so, but this is my reaction.

staxes are definitely a great choice for detail, transparency, and neutralness, but above all, they offer the best soundstage i've ever heard. however, unless u're in a really quiet environment, u won't be able to fully appreciate the staxes. i have to turn off my aircon (can't even have it on low) whenever i wanna do real listening (i wish i could turn off my comp too, but that's my source
rolleyes.gif
)...

i say, definitely audition them first. if u dig 'em, get 'em. there isn't much music out there that i can't fully immerse myself into using the staxes (except for bad recordings... heh...).

Oct 1, 2002 at 3:03 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by taipeileviathan
i've had my staxes for about a month and a half, and i just bought er-4ps with 4s converter cable. to be fair, the 4ps have only been burning in for the past 6 hrs or so, but this is my reaction.

staxes are definitely a great choice for detail, transparency, and neutralness, but above all, they offer the best soundstage i've ever heard. however, unless u're in a really quiet environment, u won't be able to fully appreciate the staxes. i have to turn off my aircon (can't even have it on low) whenever i wanna do real listening (i wish i could turn off my comp too, but that's my source
rolleyes.gif
)...

i say, definitely audition them first. if u dig 'em, get 'em. there isn't much music out there that i can't fully immerse myself into using the staxes (except for bad recordings... heh...).

Out of a computer. What is the point?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back