Should I get used HD580s?
Jun 18, 2005 at 12:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

renesis_au

100+ Head-Fier
Hi people, I am thinking of going for a pair of used HD580s (or some other used and cheap headphones), and is there anything in particular I should watch out for? These will probably be my first real head-fi purchase since I got my XD200s a few weeks ago. From what I know these headphones are three years old and have had the foam underneath the headband replaced, apart from that they look alright. Thanks for letting me know your thoughts.

Jun 18, 2005 at 12:46 PM Post #2 of 15
I love 'em. Make sure you've got enough juice for them and they sound terrific. Still prefer these over my 650s. And the 595s I used to have. And the Grado 225s I used to have.
They are a bit of a can of worms though what with upgrading the cable, obtaining an amp (if necessary). Nevertheless, great pair of phones.

Jun 18, 2005 at 12:49 PM Post #3 of 15
I will be running them of my Audigy 2 ZS for the time being, but I was more interested in the possibilities of wear and tear for 3yr old headphones? I'm still pretty new to headphones, so I was wondering is it common to have the headband foam replaced? And if they needed to be replaced, why didn't the earpads needed to be replaced? Does mileage vary on headphones?

Jun 18, 2005 at 1:26 PM Post #4 of 15
Have to say i love mine too!
Have you had a chance to see pictures of the phones to check out the headband pads and earpads?
I'd be more concerned if the earpads needed replacing due to the cost.

Here's a link in Australia to the cost of Sennheiser spare parts.
http://spares.sennheiser.com.au/*ws4...lor-Odd=FFFFFF

The capsule and earpads are the most expensive.

As to mileage. It all depends on how the owner has treated them.

Jun 18, 2005 at 1:32 PM Post #5 of 15
I have a picture the guy sent me, it clearly shows the headband has been replaced by a strip of foam, and the velour (is that what they are made from) earpads seem well used and are a whitish/purplish colour. Not sure how to post a pic here, but if anyone wants to see I can email the picture.

This may sound kind of silly but are there any hygeine issues when buying second hand headphones?

Jun 18, 2005 at 1:38 PM Post #6 of 15
I'll have a look at the pic. I'll pm you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 18, 2005 at 2:51 PM Post #8 of 15
The earpads look like they need replaced, that's about $40 from Sennheiserusa.com, if the headband cushion doesn't feel right, then that's another $8. If you're getting them for a great price, then go for it and replace as needed.

Jun 18, 2005 at 2:59 PM Post #10 of 15
Guys, renesis_au has to also figure in exchange rates and shipping costs to Australia. Plus JR.com don't ship to AU.

Jun 19, 2005 at 7:19 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeppelin2
The last time I checked (which wasn't too long ago), Amazon.COM only shipped to the US. They wouldn't even send stuff up to Canada =\

That's true. With headphones Amazon won't ship internationally
eek.gif

Jun 19, 2005 at 7:50 AM Post #15 of 15
I'm probably going off topic on my own thread, but are there any other headphones in the same price and league as a pair of used HD580's? I don't think I'll appreciate the Grado or Allesandro sound so something maybe from Sony (but I've got a pair of Xd200's already), Senn of Beyer? Strictly has to be around the $100USD price range, the max will probably be $150.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back