Should I get the Maverick A1 Audiotube Hybrid Amp with Raytheon Tubes or the Schiit Asgards?
Jan 18, 2012 at 6:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

toekneeyeah

New Head-Fier
I just recently purchased Sennheiser HD650s on Head-Fi along with the equinox cables for them. I'm currently using the Xonar Essence ST sound card for them, and would like to purchase an amp. My budget is around $250 + tax/shipping and I'm currently eyeing the Mavs A1 w/ Raytheons, or the Schiit Asgards. Which one should I get? I've heard the Mavs are pretty good but not sure about the Schiits. 

Jan 18, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #2 of 7
At the risk of sounding like a broken record (or worse yet...a fanboy *gasp!*), I think my A1 (with Raytheons) is one of the better amp purchases I've made.  And honestly, I've made far too many. 

I use it to drive my beyer DT880/600's at work and it's really amazing how well it goes with them.  It's got plenty of power top to bottom and the sound is smooth as butter.  With the 650's being a higher impedance can, I'm betting you'll find a similar result.   

Given that, I haven't heard the Asgard so I'm a bit biased here. 
dt880smile.png

Jan 18, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #3 of 7
I have the maverick audio D1 and it's headphone out is rather poor.  It's very noisy, past 12 o'clock you can hear a hiss on my HD 650s and it dose get in the way of the music.   Lots of power and the sound comes though fine but the noise is a HUGE issue.

I have not heard the schit products but I would highly recommend against the maverick audio products.  I know a lot of people around hear like them but there noise floor sucks.   

With that said the A1 might be different but that company has left a very bad taste in my mouth with my D1. 

Jan 18, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #4 of 7
I concur.  I had the Maverick, and it was the most disappointing and regretful audio purchase I have ever made.  The headphone jack was unusable, at least for my standards, because of the background noise.

I have the Asgard.  It's by no means a perfect amp, but it's a very competent little amp.  It does blow the Maverick away in every regard.

Quote:
I have the maverick audio D1 and it's headphone out is rather poor.  It's very noisy, past 12 o'clock you can hear a hiss on my HD 650s and it dose get in the way of the music.   Lots of power and the sound comes though fine but the noise is a HUGE issue.

I have not heard the schit products but I would highly recommend against the maverick audio products.  I know a lot of people around hear like them but there noise floor sucks.   

With that said the A1 might be different but that company has left a very bad taste in my mouth with my D1. 

Jan 20, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #6 of 7
irishsammy,

how does your a1 compare to your WA6?  I'm considering getting an A1 to go with my 880/250s.  

Seems like the reviews on the A1s are super polarized....

toekneeyeah,

I'm in the same boat buying an amp in this range.  Have you considered the M-stage or the Little DOt MK III? I'm thinking about those too... 

Jan 21, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #7 of 7
Honestly, my experience with the A1 and the DT880's has been amazing.  I'm only just now discovering a tube compliment for my SE that makes it sound as enjoyable as the A1 does with these particular 'phones.  I don't have any noise problems at all with the A1 and it's as smooth as can be all over. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back