Should i get rid of my AKG's K518 DJ or not? Please help... :)
Jan 1, 2013 at 3:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Pedro Oliveira

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello... :)

First of all i would like to say thank you for accepting as a member of this fantastic forum and if i posted this topic in the wrong section i am very sorry... ( I am portuguese so excuse me if i say rubbish... XD)

So here's the deal... A couple of weeks ago i got the fantastic chance of purchasing one set of AKG's K518 DJ for 20 euros. 
The price was fantastic and it was a really good deal because they were from a friend of my brother and he had them for a couple of months as a gift and never opened them so he sold them to me at this really low price because is more of a in-ear kind of guy.

Now the problem... I really like this AKG's but i love to hear all kind of music, since Florence and the Machine to Artic Monkeys, Alt+J but most of all i listen to Electronic music and i really love prog and trance melodies. I listen a lot to Above and Beyond's Group Therapy, Ferry Corsten, Armin van Buuren...

The AKG's are really good but the problem is that they are kind of heavy on the bass (at least for me) and although they have a very good amount of detail i dont think they deliver the beautifull high melodies and cords on trance music as i would expect them to be delivered. The bass is so powerfull that it seems to drown all the other sounds (And yes they do hurt a bit after a couple of minutes and i already removed the sponges on the monitors to try to get them better... :)  ).

Now i have the chance to sell my AKG's for 30/35 euro's and i was thinking of using this money to get something different and more suitable for my taste in music even though i might end up getting something cheaper.

After some research and under the budget of 30 to 40 euros i can get these models (i have to buy on a phisical store sorry):

HD202 30 euros
HD203 35 euros
HD407 27 euros
HD408 35 euros

i also saw the sennheiser HD419 at 49 euros, the HD205 at 46 euros and the Sony MDRZX500W but not also are they more expensive (and i am on a budget as all of u can see), but i also did not like the sound on the sony's...

I tried the 202 and the 408 and the 408 seemed to have a little more consistent sound (but very little) than the 202 and a really little increase on the highs... i liked both but the 408 seemed a little better but the difference was hardly recognisable.

Many people are recomending me the HD203 because all of them say that they have all the qualitys of the 202's but with better and more clearer highs wich will suit a little bit more my musical taste.

So can u guys help me please? Do u think I really should get rid of the AKG's? Or buying any of the model's i've mentioned would be a big step backwards?

Don't get me wrong, i really like a good strong bass, but i would also love to have something with a little more refined sound for my tastes... 

Sorry once again for bothering and i hope u can help me with my decision... :)

Thank u....

Jan 1, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #2 of 5
If your not happy with something, then there's no reason to keep it. The best thing you can do, is to go to a store that let you try out the headphones that you listed, That so you can give them a listen and see if you like them. You don't wanna blind buy headphones, Because you might not like their sound signature, or how they fit on your head or ears.

Jan 1, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
If your not happy with something, then there's no reason to keep it. The best thing you can do, is to go to a store that let you try out the headphones that you listed, That so you can give them a listen and see if you like them. You don't wanna blind buy headphones, Because you might not like their sound signature, or how they fit on your head or ears.

First of all thank u very much for your reply genclaymore. :) I already had the chance of trying the HD408 and the HD202 as i said on my first post. The other 2 models it will be difficult to try since its not easy to find them in a store around (for testing).

Have already tried any of this models? DO you think any of them are really worth it and suitable for what i have described?

Once again thank u very much and feel free to leave ur sugestions... :)

Jan 1, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #4 of 5
I haven't listen to any of the models that you listed, but if you find one that you like over the other. Then there's your answer. Since you mention the others couldnt be found for testing. If you find a headphone that your ears like then go for them.

Jan 1, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #5 of 5
Thank u once again Genclaymore i will do that.

But still i would lbe very gratefull if i could read some opinions of other users on this models also... Does anyone as ever tried or have this models that i mentioned? Do you thinks its a right choice to exchange my AKG's for one of these models? Does anyone has other sugestions? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back