Should I get bass boost for my M3?
Mar 18, 2006 at 11:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

SonicDawg

1000+ Head-Fier
I just placed an order on the Rockhopper M3 aiming to amp my 580's.
I listen to mostly jazz and classical music, so I don't really look for huge boomy, muddled bass, but clear, defined bass. Will I need a bass boost for this amp?

Mar 18, 2006 at 11:50 PM Post #2 of 16
I personally didn't find much use with the bass boost, because it is a subtle boost in general. The bass boost definitely won't be of the boomy kind.

Mar 18, 2006 at 11:59 PM Post #3 of 16
My SuperMacro has a bass-switch, I wouldn't call it a 'bass-boost' because its not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrXin
Chris, The bass boost is quite subtle (deep though). What's your headphones? You may send it back, I'll check it out and roll the opamps for you.

^ I sent him an email. Makes it 'deeper', definitely the word I'd use to describe what it does.

Mar 19, 2006 at 12:41 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
The bass boost definitely won't be of the boomy kind.

That's a good thing
wink.gif

How much would the bass boost function cost? For good bass cans like the 580/ 600, I personally don't see any need for extra (fake, boosted) bass, but there are plenty of headphones out there that could definitely benefit from a slight increase --think K1000, ER-6i and other IEMs.

Mar 19, 2006 at 12:42 AM Post #5 of 16
How is the Rockhopper basic M3 without the bass boost? Is then the bass not as deep? I just need an ultimatum as to get it or not.

Mar 19, 2006 at 12:45 AM Post #6 of 16
You don't really have anything to lose by getting it except a little bit of cash. Plus, it has more resale value if you get it. You may enjoy it for some recordings, or you may not use it at all, but having it won't degrade the sound quality in any way when it's off...

No, you don't 'need' it, the M3 bass is perfectly linear, and many consider it to be an amp on the warm side, but I say get it.

Mar 19, 2006 at 12:52 AM Post #7 of 16
as others have said, bassboost makes the amp more versatile and it won't hurt the sound quality when not engaged. I constantly use it with my K501/340. With the senn, most likely, you won't need it.

Mar 19, 2006 at 12:53 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicDawg
How is the Rockhopper basic M3 without the bass boost? Is then the bass not as deep? I just need an ultimatum as to get it or not.

The bass will be just as deep with or without the bass boost. The boost on the M3 circuit only increases the gain at the lower frequencies. I had it on my M3, but decided it was way too subtle to the point where it was unnecessary to have IMO (I use the Sennheiser primarily), so I took it off. YMMV though.

If it's an extra $20 or so, it is a fairly inexpensive feature to have.

Mar 19, 2006 at 1:03 AM Post #9 of 16
Opting for bass boost would mean you would have to give up the gain switch. I personally find the gain switch more useful, both in function and resale value, than artificial bass boost.

Also, Stephen (aka Rockhopper) told me that the bass boost causes more of a bloated bass sound, not necessarily a better bass. I personally would recommend you to stick with the gain switch and save the money.

Mar 19, 2006 at 1:15 AM Post #10 of 16
Thanks for your replies... I think I will do without it. I don't like the idea of non-lineal output...

Mar 19, 2006 at 1:30 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by karma
Opting for bass boost would mean you would have to give up the gain switch. I personally find the gain switch more useful, both in function and resale value, than artificial bass boost.

Also, Stephen (aka Rockhopper) told me that the bass boost causes more of a bloated bass sound, not necessarily a better bass. I personally would recommend you to stick with the gain switch and save the money.

Does Rockhopper not offer an M3 with both a gain switch and a bass boost? Because technically both can be included on the M3.

Mar 19, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
Does Rockhopper not offer an M3 with both a gain switch and a bass boost? Because technically both can be included on the M3.

Yes, that's what I was told. One or the other, not both.

Mar 19, 2006 at 2:18 AM Post #13 of 16
Yeah, but Stephen does custom jobs upon request so I'm sure you could have a gain switch and bass boost. I prefer the variable bass boost myself, like on the Larocco PR II and I believe some of Mister X's amps. That might be available, too.

Mar 19, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #14 of 16
Don't forget that the corner frequency is set by the cap value. The spec'd 0.22uF cap provides a corner frequency just under 100 Hz, I think. It can be adjusted either way so it may not be accurate to call it "subtle", for example, without including the cap value used. It is what you make it. The default value is very subtle, in my opinion and most others I have read. I use HD650's and I rarely use it, although it is helpful for certain bass deficient recordings. I also have ER4s's and I use bass boost with those cans but don't use them often with the M3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back