should i get Audio-Technica ATH-M50XBL
May 14, 2014 at 2:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

bakkas

New Head-Fier
i want a good pair of headphones,
so im looking at Audio-Technica ATH-M50XBL at amazon uk (169.00) should i get them.
I don't like the look of the m50x and want the detachable cable. but i just seems like its a bit much money for a pair of headphones. i have the money but im uncomfortable paying that much.
i mostly listen to rap with allot of bass and Im open to outher suggestions.

Feb 7, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #3 of 7
There are other options. Do you want open, or closed cans? Both have advantages. You mentioned your music preference. What sort of sonic signature are you seeking? Lots of bass? Neutral? Heavier on the treble or mids? Should we assume you'd really prefer to spend less than 170.00? The answers to these questions will help us give you better advice on a (hopefully) good direction for you.

Feb 7, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #4 of 7
Well, the M50x definitely has more bass than the M40x. However, it is still technically a studio monitor headphone, so you may find it to be a little more analytical than you prefer. Only way to know for sure what your preferences are is by hearing various headphones with different sound signatures. I really like that blue and tan-orange color scheme! I was going to get the M50xBL awhile ago, but got better (more expensive) headphones instead. Anyway, it's one of the most highly regarded headphones in its price range, so you might as well try 'em out, unless you're too apprehensive about spending that much on them, as you implied.

Also: Hi there, serman! Fancy running into you again. =D

Feb 7, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #6 of 7
That's OK, lots of other folks will check this thread out and want to know what people think.

I own this model along with many other more expensive headphones, and I think it is a great value, with good bass and a sound signature that is more fun than studio monitor focused. It also sounds good without amplification in many cases, while still offering some improvements when you are ready to use a dedicated headphone amp. I like the look and cable feature of this model along with the comfort and performance. Though I have only owned them for about 8 months now, I see why the original model was so highly recommended for so many years.  This is still very tough to beat at this price point IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back