Should I get an iPod Touch?
Aug 26, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It all starts with maintaining an organized library with good meta-tagged files. You do the work up front and you can have one central library that feeds multiple DAPs. My one MP3 library is used for my Cowon, Vibez, iMod and iTouch players. The only thing different with iTunes is that it has to build its own database but it uses my central library as is. Not really a big deal in my book. And I'm someone who is anti-iTunes. I didn't like to have to install it since it is such bloatware but I start it up, connect my iTouch, let it sync then I shut it down. No big deal after all said and done.

Yes it can be done. And people are doing it just as you describe. But it gets to be messy and limiting and has the potential for strange interactions if all of the software doesn't behave and play nice.

My library is mostly FLAC. Getting iTunes or the Zune software to deal with that is a problem. And that is just the first of many problems that will crop up.

My view is that a portable either works with my chosen media player (J. River Media Center) or it's not even worth considering. If the portable works with J. River then it will also work with many other third party tools. That is the direction that things should go. I don't want to go down the road that the Touch and the Zune are paving. Apple and Microsoft need to figure out how to allow third party tools to sync music while still keeping their apps and other content they want to control under their control.

I do have an iPod Classic. J. River is able to sync it (with no thanks or help from Apple).

Aug 26, 2009 at 8:18 AM Post #17 of 29
I also have the single central music library but use 320kbps mp3's throughout.
  1. The Touch/Nano syncs direct via iTunes.
  2. My W960i phone and Walkman A829 sync with iTunes via the excellent Salling Media application for iTunes
  3. I use MusicBridge to ensure WMP11 is kept in sync with iTunes regarding song info & playcounts.

Nothing gets corrupt and the single library of music on my NAS is accessed by HTPC, 2 laptops and a PS3 via TwonkyMedia.

Of course, only the iPods/iPhone can do the proper 2-way sync to update iTunes.

Aug 26, 2009 at 12:41 PM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes it can be done. And people are doing it just as you describe. But it gets to be messy and limiting and has the potential for strange interactions if all of the software doesn't behave and play nice.

My library is mostly FLAC. Getting iTunes or the Zune software to deal with that is a problem. And that is just the first of many problems that will crop up.

My view is that a portable either works with my chosen media player (J. River Media Center) or it's not even worth considering. If the portable works with J. River then it will also work with many other third party tools. That is the direction that things should go. I don't want to go down the road that the Touch and the Zune are paving. Apple and Microsoft need to figure out how to allow third party tools to sync music while still keeping their apps and other content they want to control under their control.

I do have an iPod Classic. J. River is able to sync it (with no thanks or help from Apple).

Obviously, your particular case is due to utilizing a lot of FLAC files. There are a limited number of DAPs that natively support FLAC. I have all my music ripped to FLAC for my higher end home listening but for portable, I don't find it worth the size penalty so I have everything trans-coded to V0 MP3. Now since every DAP will at least play MP3s, it makes life much more simpler.

Therefore, I contend in regards to MP3s, that utilizing multiple proprietary software is not an issue. An inconvenience, yes, but at the end of the day - not a big deal. Which is why (as he tries an attempt to get back on the subject of this thread) I really enjoy the iTouch. I'm not going to dismiss it just because I have to use iTunes to sync it. It is just too good of a DAP IMO.
icon10.gif

Aug 26, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #20 of 29
I have both. I use the Touch at home for music and quick wifi and I use my iPhone when I am away from home for the same uses. I rarely use the phone portion itself. I totally love the sound from either. I don't have the well trained ears that some have here. All I know is that I am happy with what I have. My only complaint is storage. Both of mine are 16gb. The Touch seems to hold more music than the iPhone does. Probably because of phone overhead. Playlists are your friend. I can dock both in iTunes at the same time too.

Aug 27, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Obviously, your particular case is due to utilizing a lot of FLAC files. There are a limited number of DAPs that natively support FLAC. I have all my music ripped to FLAC for my higher end home listening but for portable, I don't find it worth the size penalty so I have everything trans-coded to V0 MP3. Now since every DAP will at least play MP3s, it makes life much more simpler.

Therefore, I contend in regards to MP3s, that utilizing multiple proprietary software is not an issue. An inconvenience, yes, but at the end of the day - not a big deal. Which is why (as he tries an attempt to get back on the subject of this thread) I really enjoy the iTouch. I'm not going to dismiss it just because I have to use iTunes to sync it. It is just too good of a DAP IMO.
icon10.gif

I have J. River Media Center configured to transcode the FLAC to LAME -V0 when syncing the iPod. It works OK and I'm happy with LAME -V0 on a portable. It would be nice if J. River had some support for ALAC so I could put a few lossless files on the iPod, but it's not a big deal to me.

I did some looking around and there is a Foobar plugin that has Touch and iPhone support. Interesting... I wonder how he did it?

I'm not happy at all with the state of software for media players and managing a media library. Apple and Microsoft are going for proprietary solutions that don't interoperate. Consumers are losing out. Things that could be made easy are instead made more difficult. I have a low tolerance for software that behaves like that.

Aug 27, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #22 of 29
If your primary use is apps/Web access, then go with the touch. It has decent SQ and offers the blackest background paired with the sensitive SE530. I have not heard the P3 so can't comment if the touch is an upgrade in SQ. For music playback, I prefer the S9 and X over the touch. Having owned all three, I no longer use the touch as it sounds more processed and digital.

Aug 27, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by earKontrol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I have been an iPod user for some time. As a matter of fact, I currently own an iPod Classic and I am impressed with it's durability (especially for a hard-drive based player!). I mean it's indestructible! I have dropped it several times from all the possible heights and it hasn't skipped a beat (or earned a dent). iTunes does a good job at auto-managing the library. In my opinion, at least in terms of interface and product durability, iPods are solid. I am looking forward to the release of the new iPod Touch in September but ... I am truly starting to believe in better options.

It's frustrating to convert audio and video for the iPod, which can't play popular formats such as FLAC, OGG, Xvid and DivX. You must comply with Apple audio and video formats, you must comply with syncing only with iTunes, you must COMPLY! iPods don't offer much freedom. To top it off, the EQ is a sad bunch of presets, the battery life is not near what it could be and it's engineered to need accessories that prevent cosmetic blemishes (i.e swirled backs, roughed borders, scratched screens, etc).

I think iPod is an an icon, but it does not set the bar for portable audio specs. With the iPod Touch, it's more about the looks than the guts. Look at the Cowon S9 (COWON America). It has killer specs, supporting all popular audio and video formats with killer aesthetics to boot. Also nice to have a portable player that is not an iPhone without a phone.

good comments, IPOD is a reliable toy, Cowon, Sony, HIfiman and AMP3 is really the music player, they belong to different group.

Aug 28, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #24 of 29
I got a touch with my new mac, it's fun to use for wifi but music won't work for me at all. All of my high-end LODs for my ipods don't work in the Touch's dock configuration i guess. Total bummer.
frown.gif
Still fun to use online but for music it is useless in my instance.....unless I want to spend $150-200 on another extra LOD just to use for the touch. Not ready to recommit that amount again until my classic and nano die.

Aug 28, 2009 at 12:29 PM Post #25 of 29
my iTouch has literally changed my listening habits. Bought the smallest one--8g--just for kicks, use with my Image X10 and get fantastic sound,. Now I just load/change music couple times a week with myfavorite albums and have the thing LOADED with all kinds of apps. FInd I use it more as a personal assistant with a few hours' music rather than a listening machie.

Still, for serious listening go to my Imod/amp/Ety combo.

Just love the fun features of the iTOuch though

O forgot to mention the tons of online radio stations, as well as Pandora, that are available for the Touch. SO if you're tired of listening to your loaded music, you can get free apps with our choice of musical online stations.

Aug 28, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #26 of 29
Okay, I guess I'm not getting a touch right now - I'll wait for the 3G in a month or so! But the Zune HD does look nice...

I'm pretty sure the iPod or the Zune aren't up to par SQ-wise with my Samsung P3 dap. Does a LOD improve the iPod sound significant?

Aug 30, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #27 of 29
.......a disturbing thought for those waiting for 3rd gen - what if .........besides the new goodies - Apple follows the same trend as with their other devices and the SQ is decreased?

Sep 2, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #28 of 29
Don't think the general opinion is that sq has been forgotten by Apple in recent itterations i.e. the iPhone 3gs which I for one think has excellent Sq. However, I haven't heard the Touch. Does anyone know if the itouch 2G is the exact same iPod as the iPhone or if they differ when it comes to sq?

Sep 2, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.......a disturbing thought for those waiting for 3rd gen - what if .........besides the new goodies - Apple follows the same trend as with their other devices and the SQ is decreased?

The thing is, I read a bunch of Touch 2G reviews, and they all say it has "unsatisfactory SQ" compared to offerings from Sony,Samsung, Cowon, etc.....and people here haven't reported such things...

I've never owned an iPod, so I really can't say. I've had Samsung, Cowon, and Sansa players, and they all sound very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back