Should I get an iPod Touch?
Aug 24, 2009 at 10:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

DeusEx

Headphoneus Supremus
So my iPhone's in repair, and I won't get it back for two weeks...

When I use my iPhone as a DAP along with the apps, its battery life drains like crazy, and I get very irritated at having to charge it like every dozen hrs...frankly, I'm looking to get an iPod Touch now just for music+apps....I already have a Samsung P3, and it's my dedicated player as of now, but I want access to Apple apps too. The problem is, does the Touch sound any good? I've never owned an iPod before (Samsung, Cowon, Sansa DAPs only), and especially the Touch, since it's touted as more of a features player than for music. Anyone here at Headfi actually use the Touch for music?

I'm probably going to use my SE530s most of the time, as well as Sennheiser MX760 earbuds when I can't have isolation. And I might upgrade to JH13 soon. Also, might use it at home with a Denon D2000. I really don't like using portable amps (just adds bulk to the package, and SE530 and even JH13s are efficient enough...although I have an E5 that I'll use if I have to.)

Aug 24, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #2 of 29
The iTouch G2 is my most favorite DAP. It's just slick and sounds much better than other iPods.

If you to give it a try, my suggestion is to way until next month when Apple migh introduce a G3.

Aug 25, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #3 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The iTouch G2 is my most favorite DAP. It's just slick and sounds much better than other iPods.

Totally agree. I had no intention to get an iTouch till a friend of mine got an 8gb from Woot and had it shipped to me so I could play with it first. I fell in love with it and was really surprised how good the headamp sounded. I got a 32gb and haven't looked back. Now I'm just hoping a 64gb model comes out!
tongue.gif

Surfing does drain the battery fast though, so be advised.

Aug 25, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #4 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So my iPhone's in repair, and I won't get it back for two weeks...

When I use my iPhone as a DAP along with the apps, its battery life drains like crazy, and I get very irritated at having to charge it like every dozen hrs...frankly, I'm looking to get an iPod Touch now just for music+apps....I already have a Samsung P3, and it's my dedicated player as of now, but I want access to Apple apps too. The problem is, does the Touch sound any good? I've never owned an iPod before (Samsung, Cowon, Sansa DAPs only), and especially the Touch, since it's touted as more of a features player than for music. Anyone here at Headfi actually use the Touch for music?

I'm probably going to use my SE530s most of the time, as well as Sennheiser MX760 earbuds when I can't have isolation. And I might upgrade to JH13 soon. Also, might use it at home with a Denon D2000. I really don't like using portable amps (just adds bulk to the package, and SE530 and even JH13s are efficient enough...although I have an E5 that I'll use if I have to.)

The following brands of DAP are worth your consideration, for they are voted by HEADFIER for 266 rounds:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/da...1/index18.html

AMP3 17 HEAL , Best sound sources for my hi end rigs
Cowon 60
Meizu 14
Rio 25
Samsung 23---Hurt,

Sandisk 28

Aug 25, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #5 of 29
I never planned to buy a touch until I was surfing the FS forums one night...next thing I knew I'd bought a 1G touch(16 GB).

It surpassed my expectations in general. I use it mostly for music recently with a line out to my SR-71A. Listening with the screen on with the brightness fairly low I get very good battery life. I have no complaints re SQ.

Aug 25, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #6 of 29
Well, I already have a Samsung (looking at the elimi game), and it's very nice, but apps/online access is a great feature.

I meant not LODing the iPod (as the audio chip wouldn't even be used in the Touch, right?) but through the headphone jack itself...no portable amp/DAC...I always heard that iPods don't sound that great...

What will the 3G have over the 2G? I was also looking at the Zune HD...I figured it'll either be the Touch or the Zune...

Aug 25, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #7 of 29
Touch is great for iem playback or denons (high sensitivity stuff)

I have had every ipod since the first one, the touch 2g is the best so far - its not battery kind with apps tho - long time with music - maybe 16 hours - a game can spank it in 3 hours.

I REALLY like the apps on the touch/phone - its the deal maker for me. 31.99 GB lossless on mine heh.

Aug 25, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #8 of 29
The 2G Touch sounds excellent with my SE530's. Sold it now in anticipation of a 64GB 3rd Gen Touch due early September.

Using a Walkman A829 at the moment & though excellent SQ with the SE530's its level of hiss is terible with the Shures while no hiss with a Touch.

Aug 25, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #9 of 29
My complaint with the Touch is that it forces you to use iTunes to sync. There are some third party tools that can sync but you're still jumping through hoops to do so. But if you already have an iPhone you've got the iTunes bit figured out already.

My complaint with the Zune is that it forces you to use the Zune software to sync. There are no third party tools. You can download the Zune software and try it out to see if it is something that you would even like.

Players that force you to use their software are a PITA. Managing a music library amongst multiple media players is a PITA and can get complex enough that you'll want an IT department to handle the nitty gritty for you. Trusting multiple competing software tools to access and manage your media library is putting too much trust in the various software to do the right thing and play nice. Syncing a portable should not require IT level skills and a QA department to test and verify that it is going to work without messing up your library.

Aug 25, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #10 of 29
Yes, if I didn't get own an iPhone I wouldn't even be considering getting a Touch...iTunes is seriously PITA sometimes...

There's Zune software??? (all the players I've owned so far have been windows UMS drag and drop...) That means iTunes, Foobar2000, and Zune to manage for me then...

Anyone have info on the 3G Touch? If it's a major revamping, then I'll wait...

Aug 25, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My complaint with the Touch is that it forces you to use iTunes to sync.

And thats the reason I stick with iPods........... for iTunes. Plus create on-the-go playlists.

For years I use ratings, playcounts, date added to manage my music using autoplaylists to keep all the tracks I want on the iPod plus constantly refreshing my average songs. No player is big enough to hold all my music yet I listen to music on my portable player the most and as you may know, you can re-rate songs on the iPod/iPhone & playcounts/last played etc are kept totally in sync with iTunes.

I've scoured around trying to find other players that do proper/full 2way sync but think only the Zen was an option and Zune went to the silly hearts instead of 5 Star ratings.

As for the 3rd Gen Touch, nothing confirmed but things most likley:
  1. Camera (fairly certain after the images/video of an impact test unit)
  2. More memory for each price point so 16/32/64 GB sizes rather than 8/16/32 GB
  3. Possibly built-in microphone
  4. Hopefully better battery life?
  5. Hopefully proper bluetooth headphone support i.e. play/pause/FFW/RWD
  6. Seen some rumours of built in GPS & compass function like the iPhone

We should find out early September (9th I think).

Aug 26, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My complaint with the Touch is that it forces you to use iTunes to sync. There are some third party tools that can sync but you're still jumping through hoops to do so. But if you already have an iPhone you've got the iTunes bit figured out already.

My complaint with the Zune is that it forces you to use the Zune software to sync. There are no third party tools. You can download the Zune software and try it out to see if it is something that you would even like.

Players that force you to use their software are a PITA. Managing a music library amongst multiple media players is a PITA and can get complex enough that you'll want an IT department to handle the nitty gritty for you. Trusting multiple competing software tools to access and manage your media library is putting too much trust in the various software to do the right thing and play nice. Syncing a portable should not require IT level skills and a QA department to test and verify that it is going to work without messing up your library.

It all starts with maintaining an organized library with good meta-tagged files. You do the work up front and you can have one central library that feeds multiple DAPs. My one MP3 library is used for my Cowon, Vibez, iMod and iTouch players. The only thing different with iTunes is that it has to build its own database but it uses my central library as is. Not really a big deal in my book. And I'm someone who is anti-iTunes. I didn't like to have to install it since it is such bloatware but I start it up, connect my iTouch, let it sync then I shut it down. No big deal after all said and done.

Aug 26, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #15 of 29
Well, I have been an iPod user for some time. As a matter of fact, I currently own an iPod Classic and I am impressed with it's durability (especially for a hard-drive based player!). I mean it's indestructible! I have dropped it several times from all the possible heights and it hasn't skipped a beat (or earned a dent). iTunes does a good job at auto-managing the library. In my opinion, at least in terms of interface and product durability, iPods are solid. I am looking forward to the release of the new iPod Touch in September but ... I am truly starting to believe in better options.

It's frustrating to convert audio and video for the iPod, which can't play popular formats such as FLAC, OGG, Xvid and DivX. You must comply with Apple audio and video formats, you must comply with syncing only with iTunes, you must COMPLY! iPods don't offer much freedom. To top it off, the EQ is a sad bunch of presets, the battery life is not near what it could be and it's engineered to need accessories that prevent cosmetic blemishes (i.e swirled backs, roughed borders, scratched screens, etc).

I think iPod is an an icon, but it does not set the bar for portable audio specs. With the iPod Touch, it's more about the looks than the guts. Look at the Cowon S9 (COWON America). It has killer specs, supporting all popular audio and video formats with killer aesthetics to boot. Also nice to have a portable player that is not an iPhone without a phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back