Should I get a Graham Slee Novo or a Graham Slee Solo SRG?
Jan 2, 2009 at 6:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

apmusson

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I have a 5G ipod with Line Out dock and Graham Slee Voyager amp feeding HD650s. I am thinking of buying either a Graham Slee Novo or a Graham Slee Solo SRG. Is the SRG much better than the Novo? Any help appreciated.

Jan 2, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #2 of 11
I've read reviews that the Novo comes very close to the older Solo. However, I haven't seen any impressions of the new SRG Solo...

Jan 2, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by apmusson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I have a 5G ipod with Line Out dock and Graham Slee Voyager amp feeding HD650s. I am thinking of buying either a Graham Slee Novo or a Graham Slee Solo SRG. Is the SRG much better than the Novo? Any help appreciated.

i just ordered a solo. so yeah, get ya wallet out!
wink_face.gif

Jan 2, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #6 of 11
Wow. Thanks for the comments. I would eventually like to upgrade the source (iPod 5G with Burr Brown DAC - running Rockbox and FLAC encoded music) but want to get my HD650s driven well 1st.

I was amazed at the difference the Voyager made to the audio experience (especially when running off the Mains transformer). I want to get a home setup that will make the most of the excellent HD650s.

I am waiting in anticipation for some views on the SRGs. My local hifi shop still has the older Solo MC on demo, but if I buy it seems to make sense to listen to the latest version.

Jan 2, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #7 of 11
I have listened to the Novo and the Green Solo. The Novo is very close to the Green Solo and the reason that Graham and their staff improved on the Solo w/ the new Solo SRG. I am waiting on a Solo SRG and will post a comparison w/ the Novo.

If I was going to spend the money on the Solo SRG I would get the PSU1 to fully get the best out of it. If you do not have the funds now, fine but do get the PSU1 later.

Will keep you posted, now I have to go to play w/ my latest arrival. A Rudistor Sistema NX-02 for my Ultrasone PROline 2500. :)

DSCN0544.jpg

Jan 2, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #8 of 11
Forgot to mention that regardless of which you get you will have a great unit. Currently w/ the exchange rates you can pick up a Novo for about $320 USD plus S&H. I really love the sound of the Solo.

Jan 2, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #9 of 11
Thanks. Enjoy your new equipment (I'm jealous!)

Feb 10, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #10 of 11
I have just purchased a used Graham Slee Novo, and really like it. It was bought as a step up from my Musical Fidelity XCan v1, but I'm struggling to decide which of the two amps (XCans and Novo) is better. I'm using Grado SR325e's.

I thought that by now my X Can would be up for sale, but I'm not finding that much of a difference, to be perfectly honest. In fact I drove my daughter nuts in getting her to plug the Grados randomly into each of the amps, which were simultaneously plugged into my Arcam CD 92 (ii has two pairs of phono sockets), and my guess as which if the two amp I was listening to at any time was only about 50% successful.

I dont know how many hours use my Novo has had, but I'm trying to clock up as many hours as possible to burn it in.

Could it be that I'm expecting too much from the Novo, and what could I expect from another 100 - 200 hours of use/burn in?

I'm still open minded about eventually moving up to a Slee Solo when I can afford to, but if the results are going to be marginal, I might not bother.

Or maybe a wiser move would be to spend the difference on upgrading my Grados further. Dunno..... Any thoughts?

Feb 18, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #11 of 11
A week on from my last post, and with 80ish hours more on the Novo, I'm still trying to find a significant enough improvement the Novo offers over the XCan to justify the purchase.

In no way am I saying it's not worth buying a Novo, but I bought mine as a un upgrade to my system, having owned the XCan v1 for a few years. Maybe it's just me, but I'm honestly struggling to tell the difference between them in blind tests, and I would hate to find that if I eventually found myself with sufficient funds to buy a Slee Solo, I would find more of a difference than I'm currently doing between the Novo and the XCan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back