Should I do it ?
Aug 27, 2002 at 10:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Guyferd

1000+ Head-Fier
I have a friend who is doing networking . He got a deal to set up wireless network for sennheiser in singapore. He asked me to come there help him, and also since I am headphone fans, he thought I could share some idea with the sennheiser marketing guy/techical guy/etc..

Most probably if I buy senn cans from them they will quote us cheaper too... I plan on getting their Hd600 if they could quote the right price.. However I noticed that hd600 needs amp to be driven.. which I don't plan to get. I don't wish to spend on amp because I already spend alot on my speakers.. so I don't wish..

Therefore.. I'm left with 2 plans now:
to get the hd600 cheap from the senn, and get the amp later
or just go with the money to buy audio technica w-100
which is ard the same price I suppose.. both $230 range..

but the AT-W100 doesn't really need amp!! ah... help please!
SOundwise, will I regret if I buy the w100 over hd600??

If this plan fail to work, I plan on waiting for sometime for AT to release their limited ed cans again.. maybe that one will offer better sound to the w100.. I really don't know what to do now. I wish what I will spend will be my last upgrade

Thanks!

Aug 27, 2002 at 11:37 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

I wish what I will spend will be my last upgrade

Aahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

ROTFLMAO!

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Aug 27, 2002 at 11:38 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

SOundwise, will I regret if I buy the w100 over hd600??

In my experience there is not a single audible trait that would make me choose the W100 over the HD-600 with an Equinox cable.

Then again, all my tests were performed with a variety of amps. I have no idea how they would compare without one.

Aug 27, 2002 at 11:51 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Nick Dangerous
I have no idea how they would compare without one.

My answer is: Neither of those headphones is an ideal choice without an amp. You see, most headphone amps powering built-in headphone jacks in home audio components are mediocre at best. And "amps" powering those jacks built into portables are downright gutless.

Aug 27, 2002 at 2:21 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Nick Dangerous

In my experience there is not a single audible trait that would make me choose the W100 over the HD-600 with an Equinox cable.

Then again, all my tests were performed with a variety of amps. I have no idea how they would compare without one.

Nick is not a fan of these cans. Though IMO, only with the right music do the W100's excel over the HD600. With string music though (gutairs, cellos, etc.) they are (IMO) leaps and bounds ahead of the HD600. I could hardly listen to the HD600's presentation of strings. Maybe the equinox cable helps this, though I doubt it. Though with most other music, the HD600 seems to be better. My two cents.

Aug 27, 2002 at 4:04 PM Post #7 of 7
Well, I don't run my w100 with an amp. It works just fine. I quite frankly don't have th money for an amp at this point in time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back