Should I buy the ipod?
Jul 19, 2002 at 8:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Bricktop

New Head-Fier
I currently own the Nomad Jukebox, got it right when it came out for $400. Is it worth it to lay down another $400 for the ipod? Is the sound quality good? Faster startup?
confused.gif
Any info would be appreciated.

Jul 19, 2002 at 9:46 PM Post #3 of 26
Well, the Nomad has been good to me. But the battery life is terrible. Sound quality could be better, and startup is a little slow. Maybe I will go with the 5 gig to save my wallet. but I'm 1.5 gigs from filling up my Nomad, and I will only be buying more cd's. Heck I dont know what I'm going to do. Does anyone have any rants with the ipod? Reasons I should not get it?

Jul 19, 2002 at 10:22 PM Post #4 of 26
you'd be surprised at what it would sell for.

i just sold my Archos Jukebox for $260 + shipping ....paid $320 three months ago.

Jul 19, 2002 at 10:31 PM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Bricktop
Well, the Nomad has been good to me. But the battery life is terrible. Sound quality could be better, and startup is a little slow. Maybe I will go with the 5 gig to save my wallet. but I'm 1.5 gigs from filling up my Nomad, and I will only be buying more cd's. Heck I dont know what I'm going to do. Does anyone have any rants with the ipod? Reasons I should not get it?

people seem to have the same complaint about the ipods battery life, although I think(?) its twice that of the nomad. Ipod's sound quality is suppossed to be superb. Startup is fast on them.

Its up to you.

Jul 19, 2002 at 10:41 PM Post #6 of 26
I would say Ebay the Nomad and pick up an iPod 5 or 10. The iPod is fabulous--it is slim, sexy and sounds great. Plus the LiPoly 10+ hour battery is wonderful (however, MD beats the iPod by at least 1 order of magnitude in battery life). I encode all of the Music on my 10GB iPod at 128-320 VBR (LAME SSE 3.92 --alt-preset extreme) and the music is CD-transparent (at least for a portable). I use both the Sony MDRE888 and a pair of Grado SR125s with the iPod (I am considering ER6s, but trying to talk myself out it, as they are very pricey).
If you are worried about PC compatibility, don't. I use a PC with my iPod and works well with EphPod with MacDrive XP (although Apple just announced a native solution, so that is no longer even an issue).

Just sell the big, clunky Nomad for a 5GB iPod--you won't be sorry.

Jul 19, 2002 at 11:37 PM Post #7 of 26
Oh I am not worried about compatibility. Apple just recently included Music Match Jukebox (blech) with it so it works with PC's now. Maybe I'll sell my Jukebox on ebay, and depending on how much I get for it, I'll get the 5 gig or the 10 gig. Thanks for the help.

Jul 20, 2002 at 6:21 AM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw

Startup is fast on them.

Its up to you.

That's an understatment. Startup is instant, as fast as you can press a button. The battery lasts around 10 hours, but the major drawback is that it isn't user-replacable, but the iPod has a 1 year warranty now, so that aleviates things a bit.

Jul 20, 2002 at 6:42 AM Post #11 of 26
Hell, I haven't even figured out how to *open* the damn thing
biggrin.gif

But eBay the Nomad and buy an iPod. I did just that and would *never* *ever* go back. The iPod is SO much better. All my complaints with the nomad (unwieldy size, long startup, snail-pace USB file tranfer, software that "sucks sun-dried bison droppings", batteries that last exactly a third of a plane trip (so two sets aren't quite enough)... are all solved by the iPod. However, you MUST MUST MUST get the HeadRoom case for it. Order things so the HeadRoom case gets to you *before* or at the same time as the iPod, because the back of the iPod scratches *incredibly* easily. Seriously. As in "don't give it a mean look" easily.

Jul 20, 2002 at 12:38 PM Post #12 of 26
one year waranty on new iPods.

protective case/beltclip included with new 10 and 20 gig models.

Jul 20, 2002 at 9:27 PM Post #13 of 26
The 90-day warranty on old iPods has been extended to 1 year as well.

Look at ipoding.com for opening instructions. It only took me 5 mins to figure out and open it.

Jul 20, 2002 at 9:39 PM Post #14 of 26
Are the iPods compatible with Pc's not just mac's?

Jul 21, 2002 at 12:09 AM Post #15 of 26
The iPod is an excellent device, get it if you can afford it.
Sound quality is excellent, the amp has a lot of power. Although it does not have a line-out it works great with my TAH amp.
The UI and transfer is so easy that you sometimes wish it to be more complicated so you would have to fiddle around with it longer, spend more time touching it... it is a permanent pleasure to use it.

Cons:
-Price. It's worth every penny, nevertheless it's a great many pennys.
-Scratches. Use a case if you care about the looks. You will regret it if you don't.
-Capacity. You get spoiled by it. You can carry about 50 CDs at 320kbps on the 5GB one. Once you get used to the ease, you will want *all* your library with you, so buy as big as you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back