Should I buy the ATH M50 or M50s for running/working out?
Jul 17, 2011 at 11:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

sherrybearlove

New Head-Fier
I was originally going to buy the coiled version since I /really/ don't want to hold 11 feet of wire in my hand while running several miles but I heard that the coil REALLY weighs you down significantly. Which one should I buy?

Jul 17, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #2 of 15
I don't know about using these in general for running... You might want to go for on-ear or IEM's. If you really need full sized though, I'd go for the coiled. It doesn't have that much weight to it in my opinion.

Jul 17, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #4 of 15
Yeah they are kind of big, I don't know if I'd want to go around running with mine. 

Also don't forget some headphones on some heads tend to slide off or need adjustment if you move around too much. Not a good thing to constantly do while running. Perhaps go for IEMs or something smaller instead?

Jul 17, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #8 of 15
I mean they're not JUST for working out so really nice sound/build quality is still necessary since I'm planning on using these daily (on the train, at home on my laptop, etc.). If it really is that much of a pain to run with these, which IEMs would you guys recommend (under $150)?

EDIT: OR should I just stick with my stock apple earphones when running/exercising? 

Jul 17, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #9 of 15

Quote:
I was originally going to buy the coiled version since I /really/ don't want to hold 11 feet of wire in my hand while running several miles but I heard that the coil REALLY weighs you down significantly. Which one should I buy?

Heya,

Nope. You don't want headphones or headbands or even IEM's. You want separated earphones that clip on the ear. This way they don't slide around, you don't hear your heart pumping (IEM's) and they don't just go flying off (full size headphones) during rigorous movement.

Check out these AudioTechnicas.

Don't use the same headphones for workout compared to home listening. You'll never be satisfied with one for that. Clip on earphones for exercise. Get a full size can for home. So you could get the M50's for home (but I wouldn't, I'd rather get the sexier wooden AudioTechnicas for home).

Very best,

Jul 17, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
I mean they're not JUST for working out so really nice sound/build quality is still necessary since I'm planning on using these daily (on the train, at home on my laptop, etc.). If it really is that much of a pain to run with these, which IEMs would you guys recommend (under $150)?

EDIT: OR should I just stick with my stock apple earphones when running/exercising? 

well, i would not choose full size for out door activity, but if you wanna IEM i'd say IE7 great sound and very tough, the build quality imo it's THE most important thing for IEMs lol 

Jul 17, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #11 of 15
I don't mind looking a little strange with full size headphones (especially since from what I've seen, these headphones actually look really nice), but yeah. :p And I would get the IE7's except for the fact that they're beyond my budget. :/ Would you guys recommend the NuForce NE700x or re0s?

Jul 18, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:
I don't mind looking a little strange with full size headphones (especially since from what I've seen, these headphones actually look really nice), but yeah. :p And I would get the IE7's except for the fact that they're beyond my budget. :/ Would you guys recommend the NuForce NE700x or re0s?

It's not the fact that they look strange, it's the size, weight, and properties of the headphones. I would never recommend a circumaural headphone for exercising, especially running. First, they're heavy and will most likely fall off, and if you get a hard-clamping headphone(to prevent them from falling off), it will make your head hurts. Second, you will get that sweaty, moist, and damp feeling, which will get very annoying. Third, usually full-sized headphones have heavy cables, even coiled cables are heavy.

Another thing I won't really recommend for running...IEMs. They create a sealed acoustic chamber in your ear canal. This causes bone conduction(try talking, eating, or running when you're wearing IEMs, it gets annoying right?) and air pressure changes in your ear canal especially when you're engaged in physical activities. This will not only make you have to take off your IEM for adjustment(it gets annoying too), it's actually bad for your ears(since air pressure changes, your ear perceive the sound coming from your IEM louder, which can cause hearing loss).

Every time a "recommend me a workout/running headphone/IEM" thread comes up, the main thing I would suggest is the KSC75. I really don't see the point of using expensive headphone or IEM while working out. Are you going to perceive every little bit of detail and 'listen' to your music while jogging down the street or stressing to finish your last set of curls? I don't; I pay more more attention to my workout than to my music. If you want something like a headphone, either get a Parts Express mini headphone and mod your KSC75 to have a headband, or get any supra-aural headphone that have decent amount of clamping. If you want isolation(which is pretty dangerous while working out; you need to be aware of your surroundings), get a supra-aural headphone which have earpads that can seal. Earbuds are also great if you want something smaller; iPod earbuds(they're not as bad as you think) and Sony MDR-E10LP are both great choices.

Jul 18, 2011 at 5:44 AM Post #13 of 15
That's a very good point. :p Alright, then I'm sticking to the stock ibuds for working out. However, would you recommend the M50s if I were merely using them on the go (walking, taking the train, using them at home)?

Jul 18, 2011 at 5:50 AM Post #14 of 15

Quote:
That's a very good point. :p Alright, then I'm sticking to the stock ibuds for working out. However, would you recommend the M50s if I were merely using them on the go (walking, taking the train, using them at home)?

For portable and home cans? Yeah, but I would get the coiled cable version, or unless you braid the regular cable(to make it shorter).

Jul 18, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #15 of 15
I'd never use M50's for working out.  They'd get really sweaty and would probably permanently smell like sweat since not only the earpads but a significant part of the headband touches your head.

Quote:

Quote:
For portable and home cans? Yeah, but I would get the coiled cable version, or unless you braid the regular cable(to make it shorter).

This.  I've been taking mine to work almost every day now (I sit at a desk all day).  They're not too big.  The coiled cable is very nice though.  The straight part of the cable is just long enough so that it reaches from my head to my pocket and the coiled part can fit in my pocket.  The straight part of the cable between the coil and headphones is about 2' 6''.  Of course, the coiled cable does take up more space in my pocket than my ipod, but that's better than trying to fight with an 11' straight cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back