1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Should I buy the AKG Q701 after just buying Senn HD598 ???

Next

Last
  1. Oscarilbo
    Hi... I've been having this, lets say curiosity, about these great headphones...

I was torn about which one to buy... Here in my town there's no way of testing any kind of headphones so my decision is based only in what I read...

I have a 2013 Denon receiver, so I wanted my first open-back headphones having something that can juice them acceptable enough, and for a time I fell in love with the AKG Q701. I love the idea of a wide soundstage and clarity, so that is what I look for, and after a while I read about the Sennheiser HD 598, how great they were and comparable to the Q701 but more comfortable, so I pick them up... and after almost a week I think they are wonderfully clear and spacious, and so so comfortable I forget I have them on.

But now I have them, my "inquisitive" nature is leading me to read more and more about the Q701, and even, to my surprise I've found apparently the general consensus is that these are even more clear and have wider soundstage than the HD598, and that let me with need of try them, and MAYBE buy them too.

But, having the HD598 already, is it worth buying the AKG q701 too? Are they really that different ? all I want is the largest an clearest soundstage I can afford, and I thought I could only afford 1 of them, but I think I can afford another pair buying them on a payment plan.

My music is orchestral music. Mainly movie orchestral music (you know... John Williams, Hans Zimmer, Howard Shore etc...) using original CDs and high bitrate FLAC files.

So... what do you think???

Thanks in advance!

2. PurpleAngel Contributor
    I would say to just to pick one or the other (Q701 or HD598).
    I have a feeling you might like the Q701 a little more.
    So return the HD598 and order the Q701s.

3. Oscarilbo
    thanks for the advice, but I don't have that option here. I cannot returned as If I had bought it on Amazon I'm afraid. So my only options is to buy the Q701 too, or just to stick with the HD598, and burn them in as it should.

4. cdma2k

for orchestral music, Q701

5. PurpleAngel Contributor

If your going to be keeping the HD598s no matter what, then i would say to not buy the Q701s.

Leave the HD598 plugged into the receiver overnight (several nights), with music going threw them (maybe put the HD598s under a blanket).
    I prefer to play Metal, a little louder then normal, thru new headphones, for any possible break in.

6. Oscarilbo
    What should I expect after the burn in period ?

Thank you!

7. Brooko Contributor

In reality?  Your brain will adjust to the sound signature over time - which may lead you to thinking that the headphones have changed.  The pads will also settle to your head shape and may have  a better seal (over time) which might further affect the overall sound.

To have an objective idea of what burn-in might achieve - it's a really good idea to read this article - and especially the conclusion.
    http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/measurement-and-audibility-headphone-break

Actual measured changes are in reality extremely small. Auditory memory has a quite limited time frame of accuracy.

My advice - enjoy your headphones, and don't worry about break-in.

8. PurpleAngel Contributor

It might depend on how much faith you have when it comes to "Breaking in" a headphone.
    Some people believe there is no break in period for headphones, not like i can offer any hard facts to counter their opinions.
    For some reason I do seem to enjoy a headphone more after they have had audio played thru them, for 50 hours or 100 hours.

9. witt
    If you are definitely keeping the HD598, your money would be better spent by investing in a better headphone amplifier or DAC. That way when you go to upgrade your HPs you'll be on par with the rest of your gear.

10. Oscarilbo
    thanks guys! really helpful!
    so... is the Q701 much different in soundstage and sound signature to the HD598 properly amped? or not that much?

so which amplifier do you recommend that I can use with the HD598 and can eventually be used on higher end headphones also?

thank you

11. mikek200
    +1 on this recommendation
    I had more or less the same problem with my HD650,after ,I sold the 598's..
    I let them run 24/7 for 3 straight days,and after the 4-5 day ,I began to hear a nice improvement in SQ across the board....I eventually sold the 650 like an idiot..they are still considered an excellent headphone by many

If still unsatisfied,find a retailing that accepts a return/refund ,within 30 days,and run an A/B comparison,with the Q701's vs HD598
    If you decide to sell..try the buy/sell forum on head-fi..80% of my gear was bought & sold there,,other head-fiers ,at times,can give you some great deals

Hope this helps,
    Mike

12. zazex
    I think that you should definitely not go onto a payment plan to buy the Q701's
    if you already have the HD598's. 

If you definitely decide on the Q701's - for whatever (good) reason - 
    or even different headphones -
    IMO you should sell the HD598's and then buy the new ones.

13. PurpleAngel Contributor

How are all the sources connected to the Denon receiver?
    I would say to just keep using the Denon receiver for now.
    Maybe wait until your really to maybe spend $300 on a DAC/Amp that you could hook up to your sources.

14. Oscarilbo

thanks! that's a great advice!

my source is my 2012 panasonic bluray player hooked up through HDMI for my Cds and USB for the 24 bit flac files. I just couldn't afford analog devices at the time, nor player nor receiver, but it sure sound pretty good.

15. PurpleAngel Contributor

USB is hooked from what to what?

I plug my Sennheiser HD558s up to my Yamaha RX-V671 receiver and I think it sounds fairly good.

Next

Last