Should I buy an amp?
Nov 12, 2008 at 9:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

skiflyer

100+ Head-Fier
So yeah, I haven't figured out exactly what an amp is meant to give me. If it's volume I'm doing alright with the headphone jack on my ipod/receiver.

If it's some kind of clarity/feel/detail then I may be interested.

I'm driving a pair of Grado sr325i's and am intrigued by the Little Dot I+ for $109... but I'm not really sure why I'm intrigued since I don't even really know what to expect from a headphone amp.

Is there a general place to go, or is this thread a good idea?

Nov 12, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #2 of 16
The answer to this question is always yes.

Nov 12, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #3 of 16
Ask in the forum to see if anybody can build you a RA-1 clone. It works extremely well with RS-1 and I suppose it's same for SR-325. with an amp,
you get an RS-1 out of your SR-325. Correct me if this is wrong.

Nov 12, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #5 of 16
Millet Hybrid> Mini Millet DIY Tube Amplifier - Default Store View

I love mine!!! Simple,small,sounds good, inexpensive.
Whats not to like?
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 12, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Millet Hybrid> Mini Millet DIY Tube Amplifier - Default Store View

I love mine!!! Simple,small,sounds good, inexpensive.
Whats not to like?
smily_headphones1.gif

also with tons of tube choices at very good prices if you want to change the signature of your amp too.

I'm currently looking for well-built millet max - I heard one of those things and they may be the most versatile amps in that price range

Nov 13, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #8 of 16
The only amp I have is a small portable one, but it's almost night and day the difference I get with it. I am a fan.

Nov 13, 2008 at 6:41 AM Post #9 of 16
The amp digs the details out of the music and presents it without as much volume. The better the amp design, the better soundstage, blackness of background (silence) noise, note decay length, weight and body. Volume without control of the sound gets very fatiguing. When all frequencies are delivered evenly, you don't have to crank up the volume to hear the details.

A couple of things about amps. They need power. A wall wart amp just don't have the guns to get a full sized hp going the best they can. So a portable driving full sized cans to their top potential can't happen in most cases. Get as much power supply as the maker can put into your amp. Use quality parts. Tighter specs and better performance will sound better.

And if that can't persuade you, then get one because we said so.
tongue.gif

Joking. Enjoy our hobby and welcome to the machine.

Nov 13, 2008 at 7:31 AM Post #10 of 16
Amps are not so much volume as they are control. Kind of like the difference between trying to pick up a greased watermelon versus a dry suitcase with a handle. If the driver is tough for the amp to push back and forth (as many drivers are) you are not going to have good control over the music. The driver won't start and stop well, resulting in poor performance.

At the LA meet, I plugged a difficult pair into an underpowered amp. You could hear the notes smearing and the amp struggling with the load. The same pair with the same CD was clear and wonderful with my Zana. If you have a chance to try out an amp, you should. The difference is not subtle.

Nov 13, 2008 at 9:16 AM Post #11 of 16
I use a penguinamp with my 325is. Great sound. Never use'm without..

...Pfft. I miss those things. It's been a few months since I've let my cousin borrow them.

Nov 13, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #12 of 16
Thanks Happy Camper and Uncle Erik, that was exactly the information I was looking for.

Guess I need to spend some more time at the poker table this weekend and win myself an amp.

Thanks!

Nov 13, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #13 of 16
There ya go!
We got another one guys!
J/k
tongue.gif

As said above amps improve the entire audio experience by being able to control the electricity flow and thusly movement of the driver much more accurately.

Dave

Nov 13, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The amp digs the details out of the music and presents it without as much volume. The better the amp design, the better soundstage, blackness of background (silence) noise, note decay length, weight and body. Volume without control of the sound gets very fatiguing. When all frequencies are delivered evenly, you don't have to crank up the volume to hear the details.

A couple of things about amps. They need power. A wall wart amp just don't have the guns to get a full sized hp going the best they can. So a portable driving full sized cans to their top potential can't happen in most cases. Get as much power supply as the maker can put into your amp. Use quality parts. Tighter specs and better performance will sound better.

And if that can't persuade you, then get one because we said so.
tongue.gif

Joking. Enjoy our hobby and welcome to the machine.

x2 many people feel like an amp is just designed to make headphones loud enough but that is far from their purpose. A quality amplifier brings out tones in music that you would never hear un-amplified. The slightest cymbal hit or the valves on a trumpet. Go for it man
k701smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back