Should I buy an Alessandro MS-1?
Mar 16, 2006 at 12:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

kevin1592

100+ Head-Fier
I'm a new user here, and this is my very first post. I am looking for a pair of new headphones, to replace the stock ipod earbuds, they will be run straight from an ipod, and there will be no amp. I listen to mostly rock and alternative, (ie. ac/dc, guns n' roses, green day, etc.). The headphones will be used mostly at home, so both open and closed headphones will be fine. My price range is max 100 US dollars. I am thinking about the MS-1's because in Canada the SR-60's are way overpriced, so will the MS-1's be ok? Could you also reccomend other headphones (no iem's), again both open and closed.
Thanks in advance for all the help!

Kevin

Mar 16, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #2 of 10
yes, get the ms-1s. you like rock? these are the headphones for rock music. they aren't as harsh as regular grado headphones. you might also wan't to try Koss ksc-75s or sportapros if you want to get a taste of what grado headphones are like (for alot less).

Mar 16, 2006 at 12:58 AM Post #3 of 10
MS-1s should be a good choice for you. I used to own them and was very happy with them. If you really do listen mostly to rock, you may even want to consider used SR-225s which you can get for about $150US or so. The SR-225s rock a bit harder than the MS-1s and the expense of a slightly more abrasive sound.

But if you're firm with the $100 US, the MS-1s should provide what you're looking for.

I'm also gonna recommend the KSC-75s. When used with a portable player, the KSC-75 does 70% of what the MS-1 does in a smaller package IMO. The MS-1 pulls ahead more with nicer equipment but in a portable environment it is impressive how well the KSC-75 measures up.

Mar 16, 2006 at 1:02 AM Post #4 of 10
Well, unforunatly I can't get the SR-225's, because Grado doesnt ship anything to Canada, and the few retailers that do carry Grados are rediculously overpriced. (Grado SR-60 = 130 CDN)

Mar 16, 2006 at 1:02 AM Post #5 of 10
I second cmirza: get the MS-1 and KSC-75. Both sound great out of a portable player. I use (and would suggest) the 75's as mobile cans because if one loses or breaks them, you're only out $15. (as opposed to $100 MS-1's)

EDIT:
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin1592
Well, unforunatly I can't get the SR-225's, because Grado doesnt ship anything to Canada, and the few retailers that do carry Grados are rediculously overpriced. (Grado SR-60 = 130 CDN)

so buy 'em used from someone in the states, like he said.

Mar 16, 2006 at 2:10 AM Post #7 of 10
What are some good all purpose headphones? and by good I mean, good sound, good comfort, decent durability, and possibily some isolation (if its closed) and remember no iems

Thanks guys
icon10.gif

Mar 16, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #8 of 10
I think you can still buy an MS1 reasonably priced in Canada. Another headphone to consider is a bit more expensive and I know out of your price range, but also very good and more widely available: The HD595 from Sennheiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back