should i buy akg k712 pro ?
Nov 2, 2016 at 6:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

leo01

New Head-Fier
Hi
i was looking to buy a headphone under 500 $. i generally listen to mostly rock,pop, alternative rock and pop. I read some review in some website and they recommended the akg k712 pro is the best headphone under 500 $. Does anyone use the akg k712 pro here? how good is this headphone? should i go ahead and buy it?

Thank you

Nov 2, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #3 of 7
I actually upgraded from the K712 Pro to the HE-400i which I find more comfortable, even sounding, and much more impactful in the bass.
I guess I'm going to have to buy the 400i's I hear so much about them I have the 400's and 400S's so why not the trio?

Nov 2, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #4 of 7
Unless you can find the k712 for under $250, they really are not worth it, they are essentially q701s with memory foam earpads. If your budget is upwards of $500 I suggest either staying under that range as the diminishing returns are pretty strong, or get a second hand esp950, or an he560 if you want more powerful bass. For me, I find my headband modded q701s and hd700 as the most comfortable headphones I have ever tried

Nov 2, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #5 of 7
i own the K712 Pro.
i also listen to pop rock and mental metal sometimes and i DONT use the K712's because
- Treble quantity is too much for my liking
- Mids and upper-mids are too forward for my liking
- Mid-bass has attack speed, but no impact
- Low bass takes a back seat

overall, they just sound overly bright for those genres listed. Anything by maroon5 sounds thin and fatigues me
Im actually listening to my Philips X2's right now with my Mental Metal Playlist. way less head hurt

Nov 3, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #6 of 7
  i own the K712 Pro.
i also listen to pop rock and mental metal sometimes and i DONT use the K712's because
- Treble quantity is too much for my liking
- Mids and upper-mids are too forward for my liking
- Mid-bass has attack speed, but no impact
- Low bass takes a back seat

overall, they just sound overly bright for those genres listed. Anything by maroon5 sounds thin and fatigues me
Im actually listening to my Philips X2's right now with my Mental Metal Playlist. way less head hurt

mental metal sounds pretty hardcore if you ask me.
I think the q701s have a slight treble emphasis but it isn't as bright nor "lacking bass" as the k550/k551, and it isn't as bright as beyerdynamics

Nov 3, 2016 at 6:31 AM Post #7 of 7
  mental metal sounds pretty hardcore if you ask me.
I think the q701s have a slight treble emphasis but it isn't as bright nor "lacking bass" as the k550/k551, and it isn't as bright as beyerdynamics

if you allow me to rephrase better;

the AKGs have a slight forwardness in the high mids.
The treble performance is spectacular. theres no splashiness or grain to my tastes. the quantity is good in relation of the mids and highmids.(btw, i can only hear up to 15khz)
But because there isn't enough low end (for me), it makes the balance tilt towards the highend in relation to the lowend

Users who are viewing this thread

Back