Should I buy a portable amp for my FiiO X1 or just buy a better DAP ?
Jul 31, 2015 at 4:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

seanwee

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys I'm stuck between buying a portable amplifier for my FiiO X1 or just straight away buying a better player.

Which option will sound better? I'm looking for increased detail retrieval,soundstage ,instrument separation and basically a noticeable improvement from my X1.

If possible please state which model I should buy.

THX

Jul 31, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
Hey guys I'm stuck between buying a portable amplifier for my FiiO X1 or just straight away buying a better player.

Which option will sound better? I'm looking for increased detail retrieval, soundstage, instrument separation and basically a noticeable improvement from my X1.

Unless we're talking about an amplifier with bad distortion levels or crosstalk, these are more a function of the DAC stage than the amplifier stage.

Aug 1, 2015 at 4:54 AM Post #5 of 9
I'm using stuff that range between 12-80 ohms.

And can you clarify more on what you are trying to say protege maniac as I have yet to understand those terms:grin:

Aug 1, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #6 of 9
And can you clarify more on what you are trying to say protege maniac as I have yet to understand those terms:grin:

Distortion = deviation from the signal, can affect tone, detail, instrument separation...nearly everything actually
Crosstalk = sound leaking from left to right channel and vice versa, affects imaging

DAC = digital to analogue converter = converts the 10010100001001000111101001 format of digital audio into an electronic signal that can be amplified to move transducers like headphones or speakers. As long as this one is doing a good job of passing on a clean, distortion free, noise free signal to the amplifier, then all you need is an amp that won't distort that signal when driving a particular headphone or speaker.

Aug 1, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #7 of 9

Most IEMs and some low impedance full sized headphones would be easily driven to very loud volumes with the X1 and adding an external amp might not provide any significant improvements for you. Now if you are listening with any headphones where you are running the X1 such that the internal amp is nearly maxed out, then more power could improve the dynamics. That's when an external amp can really help.

So it depends on the specific make and model headphones you are using (some will be more easy to drive than others) and your listening volumes.

Aug 1, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #8 of 9

Maybe it would be better to upgrade headphones/IEM, then replacing the X1?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back