Should I buy a Peachtree Nova for the core of my audio setup?
May 25, 2011 at 2:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

rbf1138

1000+ Head-Fier

Basically, I currently have Grado RS-2's, Beyer DT880s, and powered desktop speakers (Audioengine 5). I also have a Litte Dot 1+ tube amp and I use a Macbook Pro as my primary source for music with a nuforce uDAC, and game with a PS3/Xbox 360. My question is, does the Nova make sense as the core of my audio setup, in which case I could get rid of the uDAC and Little Dot to use the Nova with my headphones, my speakers, and my gaming consoles? I can get one for $900, and I would love for it to suit me for awhile as the core of my system, with the ability to get some bookshelf speakers down the road to also use with it. For that price, would I be wrong to assume it'd be an incredible all-around piece of equipment for all of my needs? Would it be good in combination with my Audioengine speakers, going Macbook > Nova > Audioengines? Finally, will its DAC limitations (cant handle 24bit/192kHz )  be a serious issue in the next few years?

May 25, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #3 of 8
I don't have the Nova but I have the Decco2.  I think the main differences are number of inputs, speaker amp power, and DAC chip used.  Personally, I find it to be a great solution and I use it as a preamp and a DAC in my main setup.  The headphone out of the Decco2 is what I would call adequate and not a world-beater by any stretch.  It's nice and smooth but it's not the last word in power.  Your cans look like some it could drive pretty well, though.  (My experience has been good with Grados and AT-M50s, not so good with LCD-2's.)   

As an integrated, it powers my 87dB Fritz Carbon 7's in a living room with high ceilings surprisingly well.  (Which it's only done a couple times.)  So for a small desktop setup, you'd be in great shape with something like the Nova because that has double the power, I think?  And I think the Nova has the next step up in the Sabre DAC chip lineup, too.

So the short version: Great preamp, great DAC, adequate HP stage, and great integrated.  I think you could do a heck of a lot worse for $900.

May 27, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #4 of 8
Any other opinions? I can pull the trigger for $835 (used, of course). Will it improve the sound of the Little Dot to my phones? 

Jun 18, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #5 of 8
go for it.
The peachtree gear doesnt seem to have any detractors.
The pre/dac/head amp are all supposed to rock, the power amp is likely the weakest point.
But you can bypass that as it has a pre-out if it does prove to be the weak-link down the road.

Jun 18, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #6 of 8
I have the Nova using it as my home stereo amp but often hook up the headphones to it and I love it. The designers specifically used a DAC that was geared toward headphones and is supposed to be much better than the one most amplifier makers use. At that price I'd say get it.

Jun 18, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #7 of 8
Already did! 
smile.gif

Jun 18, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #8 of 8
Peachtree makes great gear but they don't use a conventional PCB, making repairs or modifications really difficult. I'm starting to have a problem with my original Decco, and they want $120 + shipping to fix it :frowning2:

That said it is an incredible DAC/preamp- the preamp out will sound great into your A5. And I would imagine the quality of components is at least a little better in the Nova. Go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back