Should I Buy A Better Power Cord???
Oct 25, 2002 at 4:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Nightfall

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello once again,

I stumbled across a number of very interesting threads here, while researching other things, that concerned high performance power cords. This would include the record setting "ultimate thread" that started out being about GTT Audio's $50.00 power cord, and ended with people offering thanks to the heavens for the Virtual Dynamics Nite power cords at a price that would feed and clothe a small village for a year in the deep South.
Now, I am a fairly serious audiophile, as the cost of my current audio /home theater,system would attest. This, of course, also explains why I am required to eat Kraft "boxed" macaroni and cheese at least five times a week to balance the finances!
However, I've ALWAYS considered the exotic/expensive replacement power cord hype to be absurd. having read all of your input in the previously mentioned threads, you do have me wondering just a bit. Because I have learned a great deal of respect for many of you here in this forum, in my time here, its significant to me that quite a number of you think otherwise, especially those of you who also were unbelievers and who have been converted (Kelly?).
I might consider risking spending say, $50.00, possibly even as much as $75.00 if you could honestly convince me that my Corda HA-1 Blue, and my ears, would truly benefit from it. And IF I were to consider that, what exactly would you recommend that I buy? The aforementioned GTT Audio power cord, the Virtual Dynamics Basic? The Power3?
Your opinions, suggestions, recommendations and overall wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

JC

Oct 25, 2002 at 4:04 AM Post #2 of 22
If you've read the VD thread and seen my progression-- I think you know about where I stand...

Mark

Oct 25, 2002 at 4:09 AM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
If you've read the VD thread and seen my progression-- I think you know about where I stand...

Mark

As an owner of some VD Signature power cables, I wholeheartedly second Markl's comment!! These things are absolutely dynamite. And, from what Markl said in the beginning of his thread, even the Power 3 made a HUGE difference! For $75it would seem extremely worth the investment. Just remember that the lower end cables from VD are quite stiff and hard to work with. Its bad enough with the Signature series, I can't imagine how difficult it is to deal with those 3's.

Lord Bless,
doug p.

Oct 25, 2002 at 12:59 PM Post #4 of 22
I really don't believe that a power cord can do you any good unless the power that comes out of the socket is good to begin with. That means a regenerator or a UPS/filter should be your first priority. The PS Audio 300 regenerator I bought made an incredible difference. Using a fancy power cord in this apartment building without one would be just a waste of money.

Oct 25, 2002 at 3:09 PM Post #5 of 22
Aeberbach, I've read that the power cord itself filters out some of the noise. That's why some manufacturers recommend running the power cord straight into the wall (usually for power amps) because the power cord will be able to filter without limiting power, whereas the power filters/regenerators will limit the power unless you get a very expensive model.

Oct 25, 2002 at 3:53 PM Post #6 of 22
Come on, it's a piece of wire - it can't filter anything. Some cables have a negligible capacitance but the most expensive cables run separately shielded conductors - so no capacitance at all to speak of.

I'm all for buying stuff when it makes a difference but not audio jewellery. And you can't make dirty power clean by using thick wire and nice connectors for the last six feet.

Oct 25, 2002 at 4:20 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by aeberbach

I'm all for buying stuff when it makes a difference but not audio jewellery. And you can't make dirty power clean by using thick wire and nice connectors for the last six feet.

You're right, to the extent that I can't and haven't even tried to understand why my Virtual Dynamics Reference PC has such a clearcut positve effect on my cdp's sound. It just does. I'll buy another for my X amp soon.

Oct 26, 2002 at 6:06 AM Post #9 of 22
I plan on buying one of the cheaper Virtual Dynamics cables. I honestly don't believe I will be able to hear a difference, with my setup at least. I'm mainly buying it because I want a reliable, well-built cable that looks good as well. Also, I'll get one of the Monster power centers. But for it's function, as I currently have 3 full power strips and need some more outlets.

Oct 26, 2002 at 6:19 AM Post #10 of 22
MooGoesTheCow gave me a Virtual Dynamics Basic Power power cable. I tried it in my rig (plugged into the Max) for a little while, and determined that I preferred my Acoustic Zen Tsunami. So, with Moo's blessing, I took my sharpest knife to it and cut it open. I had to find out why a power cord with 18-AWG conductors was so dang heavy. Moo was on the phone with me through the procedure, and let's just say it ended up being a little more involved than I thought it'd be. Details (and some photos if I can get my digital camera working properly) forthcoming.

Oct 26, 2002 at 6:49 AM Post #12 of 22
[size=xx-small] Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode
Uh oh. Yes, please post the pics. You could become even more famous...

[/size]

One of my problems is my camera buh-lows. Check this post out, in which I include pics of a dissected Cardas Neutral Reference interconnect:

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...nce#post116867

See all those blurry photos? It took me a ton of pictures with my crappy digital camera to get those -- yes, those were the best candidates.

Oct 26, 2002 at 7:04 AM Post #13 of 22
You need a good macro capability. A great prosumer cam from last year can be had at a pretty good rate.

On the VD expose: should we call in Mike Wallace?
smily_headphones1.gif
tic, tic ,tic, tic...

Oct 26, 2002 at 7:14 AM Post #14 of 22
[size=xx-small] Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode
You need a good macro capability. A great prosumer cam from last year can be had at a pretty good rate.

On the VD expose: should we call in Mike Wallace?
smily_headphones1.gif
tic, tic ,tic, tic...

[/size]

Regarding cameras: yeah, I know. But after this last camera debacle (I mean, did you see those pics?), I vowed to research my next digital camera purchase very carefully. I mostly use a film camera still, and so am not looking to spend too much on a digital camera. As you mentioned, though, it does seem like prices have come down significantly.

Regarding the cable cutting: the Virtual Dynamics cable cutting isn't intended as an exposé, but it was very interesting. I know they only charge $34.95 for this cable, but their web site does state that it "is designed to replace typical stock cord and to compete with the value of the most popular $500 power cords from the traditional electronic design theories," and so my opinions about its construction and performance will be influenced by these statements.

I guess I should start a new thread for this, eh?

As you may know, I'm way behind on reviews, and posting about this cable dissection was not something I really planned on. I'll try to post a blurb in a new thread later this weekend if I get a chance, with or without pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back