Should I bother to upgrade?
Jul 20, 2005 at 4:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

LateNightDJ

New Head-Fier
I am not a huge audiophile when it comes to headphones so I hope you guys might be able to answer my questions.

I have the Shure E3c's and I was curious if it worth my time to upgrade to the E4c's. I should also mention that I use these for an iPod. I know that iPods are not the greatest when it comes to sound but it is what I have and am considering buying the Sony Vaio Pocket player. All of my mp3's are a minimum of 192 kbps and why anyone rips below that is beyond me.

I listen to a lot of electronica music and the bass response seems to be adequate (I do like the thump of it but it does not have to dominate the overall sound). The goes the same for most of the rap I listen too. I do listen to some rock (ie Manson, NIN, and some others along those lines).

I have a high quality home theater set-up and I do listen to a lot of my music through that. Usually when I am listening to my E3's I am multitasking so I am not paying a huge amount of attention to the music.

Now that I have rambled, I am asking if the upgrade would be worth my money. Will I notice a huge amount of difference between the two? I know that all of this is subjective but I am just trying to get an overall opinion.

Or would it be worth my time to wait for the E6's?

Thanks

Jul 20, 2005 at 4:25 AM Post #2 of 9
On the basis of your usage and your lack of real serious listening with the shures... I highly doubt you will enjoy spending couple hundred dollars on e4cs only to find a "different" sound rather than better/worse.

What I do know is that the Shure e5s are amazing with the type of music you listen to and one of our members is selling his for 320 (practically brand new) and if you are still curious, I would pick those up instead.

I do not know how much the e4cs are street-price-wise but the e5cs seem like a perfect match for your music. I think you'll hear a definite difference between the e3s and e5s.

In my opinion, if you don't do a lot of "portable" activities then a full sized can would be also a great venture.

Jul 20, 2005 at 4:27 AM Post #3 of 9
Hi LateNightDJ,

Reason for upgrading: Improved resolution, and treble. As for the bass, it's largely dependant of your source, amplification and seal.

Reason against upgrading: The need of amplification, and IMHO, without bass the E4c's would not be able to shine...

As for me, currently in the tired-of-lugging-an-amp around stage... so E3c will do me just fine.

Just my two cents,
Overlunge

Jul 20, 2005 at 4:31 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by overlunge
Hi LateNightDJ,

Reason for upgrading: Improved resolution, and treble. As for the bass, it's largely dependant of your source, amplification and seal.

Reason against upgrading: The need of amplification, and IMHO, without bass the E4c's would not be able to shine...

As for me, currently in the tired-of-lugging-an-amp around stage... so E3c will do me just fine.

Just my two cents,
Overlunge

Overlunge, do the E4s really need to be amped that much?

Jul 20, 2005 at 4:52 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by LateNightDJ
What is the difference between the E5's and the E5c's?

Hi LateNightDJ,

'c' I believe stands for consumer, and E5c is packaged that way, metal box, and the carry case where E5 only has a carrying pouch...

Overlunge

Jul 20, 2005 at 4:56 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
Overlunge, do the E4s really need to be amped that much?

Hi The Monkey,

From my experience, E4c doesn't need an amp, but to produce some of the characteristics, you need an amp... I found the bass was weak and mids slightly recessed without amp...

For my ears only...
Overlunge

Users who are viewing this thread

Back