Should I be worried about my RE-400s? (Potential defect)
Dec 29, 2014 at 8:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Djinnenjous

500+ Head-Fier
My wife gave me a pair of HiFiMan RE-400s for Christmas but they arrived on the 27th.  Since then I've listened to them or left them burning in more or less constantly, albeit never at a volume that could damage them.  I've treated them like they're made of glass and never exposed them to anything harmful, etc.

Last night, after less than 48 hours of use, my right channel suddenly cut out almost entirely.  The volume on that one side dropped to a near-whisper while the left channel came through normally.  I gently spun and wiggled the cable, readjusted the monitor, and nothing changed.  I unplugged the IEMs and immediately tested them with my DX90: the problem persisted.

This morning I tested them one more time before filing an exchange claim on Amazon, expecting to be disappointed—but from out of nowhere the driver worked perfectly and they've been fine all day long.  I don't know what could have happened or why it was only temporary.  Has anyone else had this occur before, and if so do you know what could cause it?

Should I send this pair back now or is it reasonable to assume they'll keep working?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back