Should I be using Dolby Home Theater v4 or not?
Dec 31, 2012 at 10:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

connordddm

New Head-Fier
Hey Head-Fi forums,

On my computer, I have Dolby Home Theater which came with my Gigabyte motherboard. There is an on/off switch, and I've tried on and off, and at times it's different. Lets say, I went out to the mall with my Sennheiser HD 558s, and when I come back, they would seem very quiet on my computer, but then I turn on my Dolby, and off a few times and it's back to being loud. However, I was wondering your guys opinion on Dolby Home Theater using the Music setting with the Open preset? In my opinion, it brings out the vocals and drums more and kind of brings up the bass and feel in music, but it muffles the bass guitar and electric guitar. When off, the vocals sound kind of harsh and not soft, and the bass guitar and electric guitar are brought up more but the drums have less of a kick and less detal. I'm testing this with some Rush songs. 

Whats your opinion on Dolby Home Theater?

Dec 31, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #3 of 11
i found it useful for boosting the sound level through my laptop speakers for movie watching
but for music, i prefer to turn it to the music setting, which i set as the equivalent to turn it off

Jan 1, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #6 of 11
The Recon3D has Thu studio which is the same as Dolby home theater v4, I find it useful when I watching movies off Xfinity TV on-line for the dialog plus and the smart volume. Usually without it the voices and the TV shows or movies are not loud enough and is not clear.  I usually use Thu studio surround with speakers set to 5.1 with headphones output setting when I am gaming. But when I listening to music, I turn every thing off , or use the special profile that I created, which does just that.

If you need the functions of it then use it as it a really handy when you need to use it, but if you don't, then don't use it. Only you will know how useful it is and only one way to find out is to try it out for your self.

Jan 1, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #7 of 11
I have a question and I don't know if its related but its somewhat similar. I have a Sony home theater system and a receiver with an audio in jack and an audio out jack. Could I put a portable headphone amp like my e11 on the audio out jack and them plug my headphones or gaming headsets in there to watch tv or play xbox safely or will it damage something? If so, will it improve sound at all?

Jan 1, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #8 of 11
I don't know about the audio in/out jacks, But I do know if the jack is a Pre-amp out jack, you can plug a headphone amp into it, As the Pre-amp output is not using the amp that is inside of the receiver.

Jan 1, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #10 of 11
It might if the output of the receiver is getting a amp signal  but usually a pre-amp out would be listed on the rear of the receiver labelled correctly.  If it doesn't say Pre-out, I wouldn't chance it. You might wanna wait til someone to vist the thread that knows more about the Audio In/Out jacks, because those look like that they are for those tape or cd decks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back