Shortening a Shure E3 cable
Apr 8, 2008 at 6:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

keiron99

100+ Head-Fier
I've had a pair of Shure E3 earbuds for a few years now and hardly ever wear them for one single reason: the cable is too long and heavy. I've treied everything from zip ties to Smartwraps and come to the conclusion I really need to shorten the cable.

Before I set about it I was hoping someone might have some advice. Specifically:

1) Do Shure cables have that pesky enamel coating on the wires? (If so, I'll stop right here!)

2) Am I better splicing the cable in the middle or fitting a new plug on the end?

3) Is this really a realistic proposition at all? If anyone here is UK based and skilled at this sort of thing, I would willingly pay.

Thanks

Apr 8, 2008 at 1:09 PM Post #2 of 10
1) You can remove the varnish on the wires with a cigarette lighter. Works well.

2) Reterminating it would be better than removing a section and splicing it back together.

3) Yes it can be done and it's not that hard. =)

Apr 8, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #3 of 10
Thanks. I may give it a go (when I can find a modestly proportioned 3.5mm jack plug - they all seem massive!)

When I tried with my Sony phones years ago, the fag lighter trick didn't melt the varnish, and there was also a bundle of fibre like strands which got in the way of everything. I hope I don't face the same problem with the Shures!

Apr 8, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #4 of 10
Sounds a bit like my beyer cable. I was able to physically scrape the coating off the last 1mm or so of the wire, which was enough to get a good connection. Though a lighter would definitely help with getting the fiber strands out of the way, which is a must.

This one is pretty small, compared to all the others I've seen. I use it on my phones.
Need Cookies Enabled

Apr 9, 2008 at 12:10 PM Post #6 of 10
Wow. The self-fashioned epoxy version is very impressive.

I'll go for Neutrik, their stuff is usually very sensible no-nonsense gear.

My existing Shure is of course right angled. Is there any advantage in a right angled over a straight plug?

Apr 29, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #9 of 10
Greenbeast, the black one has a metal body too by the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back