Short Review Omega II on german
Aug 5, 2002 at 11:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

bogo2

Head-Fier
Hallo. Ich habe ja seit einiger Zeit das Omega 2/007 t Set.

Hier meine Eindrücke ganz kurz erläutert.

Ein Spitzenkopfhöhrer. ( unter gewissen Umständen mit Abstrichen ).

Höhen: Nicht so extrem durchlässig wie beim Grado RS1, aber sehr neutral und nicht ermüdend. Und doch ist man im Geschehen drinn. Grossartig!

Mitten: Wohl bester Kopfhöhrer der Welt bei mittleren Frequenzen. Genau dort happert es noch bei andren Modellen.
Sensationell!

Bässe: Das ist so eine Sache. Wenn man kleine Ohren hat gibt es Probleme. Denn die Bässe wirken im oberen Teil kräftiger, unten eher trocken. Wer normale Ohren hat kann ihn super ausrichten. Andere müssen mühsam immer wieder den Höhrer so anbringen dass das Ohr exakt in der Mitte zwichen den Polstern ist.
Sehr gut bis schlecht!

Bequemlichkeit: Hier liegt der grösste "Streitpunkt". Auf der einen Seite hat man soviele Ausrichtungsoptionen wie bei keinem anderem Kopfhöhre. Wer Glück hat und die richtige Kopf und Ohrform kann hier wohl super bequem den Höhrer tragen. Nun das Problem: Ich selber bin eher klein und eine richtige Ausrichtung ist fast unmöglich. Zudem liegt er zu locker auf und man spürt jede Bewegung. Stax hat mir freundlicherweise den Höhrer umgebaut! Doch das Problem mit der Ausrichtung um zentriert zu sein habe ich immer noch. Als Kritikpunkt gilt hier anzumerken, dass er zu schweer gebaut wurde mit der Metallumrandung und dem Leder. Das ist ein grosser Fehler von Stax. Der Signature II ist viel komfortabler. Stax sollte unbedingt das Metallteil ersetzen und das Lederpolster verkleinern, auch damit man nicht so schwitzt!!! Der schweerste Kopfhöhrer den ich je auf den Kopf hatte. Ein gravierender Schwachpunkt.
Gut bis schlecht, je nach Kopf.

Soundstage: Ein wenig speziell. Der Sound ist wie ein Halbkreis! Solostimmen sind oben vor der Stirne und das Orchester rechts und links am Ohr. Der Sennheiser HD 600 ist ganz anderst. Der Sound ist eher gerade. Evt. ist das der Grund, dass die Wärme des Sounds nur befriedigend ist beim Stax. Das hat aber wieder den Vorteil, dass die Instrumente sehr gut voneinander abgetrennt sind. Beim HD 600 ist die Violine breiter und beim Stax Omega II ein wenig schmaler. Dafür mehr abgetrennt vom übrigen Sound.
Speziell, aber wohl ausgezeichnet! Das macht den OmegaII aus.

Resume: Ein Spitzenkopfhöhrer. Leider habe ich den Orpheus nie gehört. Die Frage ist aber der Preis: 6800 Franken für einen Kopfhöhrer ist zuviel und somit wird er wohl wenig verkauft. Zudem koster der Signature II/006t nur die Hälfte und ist beinahe so gut. Für mich selber ist er das Geld nicht wert, da ich ihn nicht richtig justieren kann und immer nachziehen muss. Bei den meisten Leten dürfte das aber kein Problem sein. Dann kann ich ihn nur empfehlen. Auch für diesen Preis. Wer Wert auf Neutralität legt kommt nicht um ihn herum. Audiophedile müssen ihn unbedingt mal probieren.

Noch was: Bitte nur mit Hi-End Komponenten benutzen. Sonst ist es schade. Je besser der Cd Player und das Kabel, desto mehr blüht das Omega II Set auf. Es ist eher ein Cd Player mit wärmerem Charakter zu empfehlen. Sonst wirkt es dann in der Kombination mit dem Stax Omega II Set zu kühl. Unbedingt den Kopfhöhrer und den Verstärker 007t 30 Stundne lauffen lassen! Dann erst beurteilen. Am Anfang ist er nämlich "unerkühlt".

Andy, Basel. Switzerland.

PS: Stax bietet nun auch eine geschlossene Version an als Set. Wer ohne Umgebungsgeräusch und ohne Angehörige zu stören superben Sound will sollte den man anhöhren.

Aug 6, 2002 at 12:48 AM Post #2 of 18
It is Head-Fi policy that all posts be primarily in English or be accessible to English-speaking users -- but I don't have the heart to delete a review. Would someone be nice enough to translate for those of us who don't understand German?

Aug 6, 2002 at 1:24 AM Post #3 of 18
Thanks for the interesting review, but I am afraid that very few members here can understand it. I will comment on some points that I think are specially interesting.
Regarding the descriptions of general sonic characteristics, I think that they are in line with many other reviews. According to Andy, the Stax head speakers have many options for adjustment, but not enough for all sizes and forms of heads and ears. This seems not only to be an issue of comfort, but also influence the sound quality (I have found a similar sensitivity to placement on my AT wooden headphone). This could partly explain the widely different opinions on comfort and sound quality for Stax Headphones. Andy got his headphone rebuilt by Stax! What I understand he was dissatisfied before this adjustment.
Andy thinks this is one of the very best headphones but it must be connected to a very good source and cable, and fit the head.
Andy: It would be interesting to know something about the appropiate head size for this phone (and the Signature). Distance between ears, distance between center of ear and top of head for example? The Signature is not extremly expensive if bought by mail order without money back guarantee?

Sep 10, 2002 at 9:54 PM Post #4 of 18
I don't speak very much German but did what I could with online resources. I apologize for the errors.

bogo2's review follows:

Hello. I've had some time with the Omega II (007t) System. Here are my brief impressions. The highs are not quite as transparent as the ones from the Grado RS1, but very neutral and not fatiguing. It's easy to get lost in the moment. The midrange frequencies probably have the best of any headphone in the world. It's just exactly "there" compared to other headphones--sensational.

The bass can give you problems if you have small ears because the bass is somewhat dry in the and stronger in the bottom of the earphone. If your ears are of a normal size, it aligns perfectly. Others must laboriously align again and again until the ear is centered accurately between the padding. So bass can be anything from very good to bad. Comfort is where the biggest issue lies. On the one and, many adjustment options are given that don't exist with other headphones. With luck, you probably have the correct head and ear size for the headphone to have a super comfortable fit. The problem is that I am rather small and correct adjustment is nearly impossible. Besides, it rests too loosely and feels and I feel the headphone move with each adjustment.

Stax has modified the headphone for me but I still have the problem with the adjustments. One other point of criticism I would make is that the metal edges and leather can make you sweaty. That's a big problem with this Stax. The Signature II is a lot more comfortable. Stax should forgo the metal and leather and instead make a smaller headphone that won't cause you to sweat so badly! This is the sweatiest headphone I have ever had on my head--a serious weakpoint. That's too bad, depending on your head.

The soundstage is particularly small. It's like a semi-circle. This may be the reason that, compared to the HD600, the warmth of the Stax is only just satisfying. But from this benefits in turn the separation of the instruments. With the HD600, the violin is too broad. With the Stax, it sounds more seperated from the music but more accurate as a result.

That's my summary of the Omega II. Resume: A headphoner. Unfortunately, I've never head the Orpheus. The question I have, however, is price: 6800 Franconia for a headphone is too much and thus probably not many sold. Besides, the Signature II (with 006t) costs only half as much and is almost as good. For me, it's just not worth the money since I can adjust and always pull it tight--having it exact isn't really a must. With other people it might not even be a problem--in which case, I can only recommend it. Also, if you're someone who values neutrality, nothing else comes close. Audiophiles absolutely must try it sometime.

One warning: Be careful of which back end components you use or things won't be so good. The better the CD player and cable, the more the Omega II blooms. A CD player with a slightly warm character is recommended otherwise the Stax Omega II can be a little cool. Also, you absolutely must "burn in" the Stax 007t amplifier for 30 hours first--judge only then. At the beginning, it's a little "undercooked"

Andy
Basel, Switzerland

PS: Stax now also offers a closed version set which would remove ambient noise and not disturb others so you may need to consider which one you need.

Sep 10, 2002 at 10:02 PM Post #5 of 18
Ich schätze den vollständigen Bericht, Basel. Jedoch würde ich es schätzen, wenn Sie auf englisch bekanntgeben, da ich Schwierigkeit mit Sprachen anders als englisches und spanisches habe. <hr>
J'apprécie la revue complète, Basel. Cependant, je l'apprécierais si vous signalez en anglais car j'ai la difficulté avec des langues autres qu'anglais et espagnol. <hr>
私は完全な検討, バーゼルを認める。但し私が英語とスペイン語以外言語の難しさを有するのであなたが英語で掲示 すれば, 私はそれを認める。 <hr>

smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 10, 2002 at 10:10 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by bogo2

A CD player with a slightly warm character is recommended otherwise the Stax Omega II can be a little cool.

Throughout my experience with the Omega IIs, I feel just the opposite. I think the rolled off character of the top end suggests using a source which excels in high frequency presentation. My Planet 2000 is a "little" warm and sounds fantastic with the PSB Stratus Minis, however, I'd like to hear a CDP (or SACDP) with a little more emphasis on the highs with the Stax system.

Thanks for your efforts, bogo2 and Kelly. Great job!

smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 10, 2002 at 11:06 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Sol_Zhen
Ich schätze den vollständigen Bericht, Basel. Jedoch würde ich es schätzen, wenn Sie auf englisch bekanntgeben, da ich Schwierigkeit mit Sprachen anders als englisches und spanisches habe. <hr>
J'apprécie la revue complète, Basel. Cependant, je l'apprécierais si vous signalez en anglais car j'ai la difficulté avec des langues autres qu'anglais et espagnol.
smily_headphones1.gif

Before a mod snipes this...

Sol Zhen is only saying he understands and appreciates bogo2's review and suggests that he try to post in English.

Sep 10, 2002 at 11:15 PM Post #8 of 18
Kelly, the translation worked very well, you will soon feel accustomed to Swedish, Dutch, Danish and similar languages!
I only found two things that were not caught accurately. He said that Stax was friendly and modified his headspeaker, but he still had problems (not "Stax has very much converted me to this headphone").
I am not absolutely shure of the other thing becasue the allusion is not crystal clear. I think Andy means that the Signature is nearly as good as the Omega and that the Omega is not worth the money for him because he cannot get it to fit his head. But he still seems to recommend the Omega if it fits ones head.

Sep 10, 2002 at 11:30 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Anders
Kelly, the translation worked very well, you will soon feel accustomed to Swedish, Dutch, Danish and similar languages!
I only found two things that were not caught accurately. He said that Stax was friendly and modified his headspeaker, but he still had problems (not "Stax has very much converted me to this headphone").
I am not absolutely shure of the other thing becasue the allusion is not crystal clear. I think Andy means that the Signature is nearly as good as the Omega and that the Omega is not worth the money for him because he cannot get it to fit his head. But he still seems to recommend the Omega if it fits ones head.

Thanks, Anders. I made the correction. I had translated it as "Stax has converted me to their headphone" when it must have actually said "Stax has converted their headphone for me."
smily_headphones1.gif

At the end of the review, I'm still not certain whether he ended up keeping the Omega II and living with the comfort problems or returning it and sticking with the Signature II.

Sep 10, 2002 at 11:33 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by RickG

Throughout my experience with the Omega IIs, I feel just the opposite. I think the rolled off character of the top end suggests using a source which excels in high frequency presentation. My Planet 2000 is a "little" warm and sounds fantastic with the PSB Stratus Minis, however, I'd like to hear a CDP (or SACDP) with a little more emphasis on the highs with the Stax system.

Thanks for your efforts, bogo2 and Kelly. Great job!

smily_headphones1.gif

RickG

I saw that you said something about preferring your warmer vinyl system on speakers in another thread, implying that it was undesirable to have a warm source with the Omega II.

Have you done much with cables and such? That you and bogo2 found this to be the opposite makes me wonder about the rest of the ingredients.

I can't remember... have you had the Max in your system? If so, did you feel similarly about it?

One other possibility is that you simply need something to open up the top end that the 007t amplifier may be compressing. This may not have been such a priority for bogo2. I found this quote from Kevin Gilmore regarding the 007t in another thread:

Quote:

Of course they still are the best headphones in the
world.

I would like to point out that the stax tube amp has
an output impedance of 47k. At 10khz the headphones
have a 170k impedance, which is why the tube amp
sounds different and is lacking in high frequency content.

Sep 10, 2002 at 11:56 PM Post #11 of 18
Kelly, I love the attributes of the Regas (TT and CDP) in my speaker system with the NAD amplification. I like the Sony 555ES/Stax with SACDs, however, I can’t even listen to the CD side of the 555 with speakers or phones. IMO, it just has no soul…no guts…no b*lls!

I’ve done some cable swapping and though I’ve spent more on other cables then I have on the Outlaws, I seem to prefer them to the others.

I have an ultra low noise floor with my set-up with my power conditioning (see profile) so that is not a problem.

The only thing I really want in my system now is a SACD/CDP with some top end extension...exclusively for the Stax system.

I have never heard the Max. I know Kevin doesn't like the 007t...I do.

smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 11, 2002 at 12:05 AM Post #12 of 18
Anders is right.
Three other corrections on Kelly's translation (which nevertheless is quite felicitous):
Andy wanted to express that the highs are not exactly that transparent as the ones from the Grado RS1, but very neutral and not fatiguing [doesn't inevitably mean: in contrast to the latter].
And to the soundstage: «...this is why a warm and inviting sound can only be had with Stax» should in fact mean: This [the half-circle presentation and the different virtual source directions] may be the reason that with the Stax [in comparison to the HD 600] the warmth of the sound is only just satisfying. But from this benefits in turn the separation of the instruments.
«Also, you absolutely must allow the Stax 007t amplifier 30 minutes to warm up...» Andy wanted to say, the amp should first burn in for 30 hours.

Thanks, Andy from Basel (like me, originally!), Kelly and Anders!

smily_headphones1.gif
JaZZ

Sep 11, 2002 at 12:09 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by RickG
Kelly, I love the attributes of the Regas (TT and CDP) in my speaker system with the NAD amplification. I like the Sony 555ES/Stax with SACDs, however, I can’t even listen to the CD side of the 555 with speakers or phones. IMO, it just has no soul…no guts…no b*lls!

I’ve done some cable swapping and though I’ve spent more on other cables then I have on the Outlaws, I seem to prefer them to the others.

I have an ultra low noise floor with my set-up with my power conditioning (see profile) so that is not a problem.

The only thing I really want in my system now is a SACD/CDP with some top end extension...exclusively for the Stax system.

I have never heard the Max. I know Kevin doesn't like the 007t...I do.

smily_headphones1.gif

RickG

I agree wholeheartedly about the 555ES and am glad to not be alone in that opinion, as I thought I was on this forum.

Of the many positive reviews of the Outlaw, almost all who have AB'd it said it errs on the warm side. That's probably something to think about--though from the sounds of it, to match that quality and not have the warm tonal balance would probably cost a bit.

Audition the XA777ES if you have the opportunity. I thought it was compotent for a $2k player on the redbook side with no trouble in the hf extension and clarity. Without upgrades/mods, I tend trust JohnActon's opinion that the Cary 303/200 is the better redbook only player but he says it's not by much so if you want SACD...

Gilmore says the 007t is Stax's second best amp (second to the 717), so I'm not sure he's THAT anti-007t, he's just proud of his own designs.

Sep 11, 2002 at 12:18 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by JaZZ
Anders is right.
Three other corrections on Kelly's translation...

Thanks, Jazz. I made the corrections. I guess I better keep my day job.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 11, 2002 at 12:54 AM Post #15 of 18
I looked today in old book published by the Swedish Hifi-Institute for a definition. By coincidence I found this (in my translation):
"A headphone has no frequency curve of its own! It gets a specific frequency response in connection to the ear or the measurement equipment it is coupled to. Thus, a headphone has different frequency responses for different ears!
Someone who states that his headphone has a flat frequency respons does not tell the entire truth. It may have a flat frequency response according to a specific method of measurement, but it is guaranteed that it has not a flat frequency response for all ears."

I think Tyll at Headroom said something similar in a thread where I rather naively asked about their "normalised frequency response". This may solve some problems, but not if you ear deviates from the normal.
So that means, innocense lost!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back