Short and sweet: Genesis vs. Pink Floyd
Dec 14, 2010 at 9:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

khaos974

Headphoneus Supremus
Actually this poll has 2 sub questions, so please tick two answers:

The first question is about global preference, considering the entirety* of their work , who do you feel has brought the most to your listening pleasure? then, if you had to select your preferred album for each band, To whom does this album belong to?

Feel free to tell us your preferred album.

* You may restrict this to the prog rock era for Genesis and to the era before Water left for Pink Floyd.

Dec 14, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #2 of 15
I have liked both bands since their beginnings.Genesis always seemed a little pompous while Floyd was darker.Album...no brainer,Dark Side of the Moon.So much so I have a tatoo using some of the artwork.I guess I should add that it is not my only tatoo.
eek.gif

Dec 16, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #4 of 15
How about a poll option for "The worst Pink Floyd album is better than the best Genesis album"?  I've never heard and pre-PhilCollins Genesis, so that's why I hate them, but Peter Gabriel sucks in my eyes, too.  This is comparing 2 totally different musics.

Dec 16, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #5 of 15
Having attended the A Momentary Lapse of Reason, Division Bell, and numerous David Gilmour and Roger Waters concerts I can say without hesitation that Pink Floyd is one of my favorite groups.

Dec 16, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #6 of 15
You really should, prog rock era Genesis is awesome, you had great album like Selling England by the Pound or the Lamb. Here are some samples.

Firth of Fifth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD5engyVXe0
In the cage http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzPcpbcwFJk
One for the Vine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vTrrgesf3U

Quote:
How about a poll option for "The worst Pink Floyd album is better than the best Genesis album"?  I've never heard and pre-PhilCollins Genesis, so that's why I hate them, but Peter Gabriel sucks in my eyes, too.  This is comparing 2 totally different musics.

Dec 16, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #9 of 15
I've always liked Genesis, but I can't say I've ever bought one of their albums. Good band, but it never left a deep impression in any of their lineups.

But I practically grew up listening to DSoTM, WYWH and The Wall. Especially DSoTM. I've been listening to it for somewhere around 25 years - my cousin gave me a battered old LP when I was a kid. I mostly listen to the SACD version today. I'm also a big fan of the Barrett era. Though I've never gotten into the post-Waters stuff. It's OK, but was never compelling.

Dec 16, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #11 of 15

Quote:
You really should, prog rock era Genesis is awesome, you had great album like Selling England by the Pound or the Lamb. Here are some samples.
Quote:

Prog rock is my favorite genre, yet I dislike Genesis. Simply put, I hate Peter Gabriel's voice. I own several Genesis albums, and I've tried to get into them many times, but I just can't (though Return of the Giant Hogweed is a sweet song). 

Pink Floyd was my first real music love, the first band that I was proud to call my favorite. Atom Heart Mother and Meddle, WYWH, DSotM, Animals, The Division Bell, Ummagumma. Loads of greatness.

Dec 17, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Prog rock is my favorite genre, yet I dislike Genesis. Simply put, I hate Peter Gabriel's voice. I own several Genesis albums, and I've tried to get into them many times, but I just can't (though Return of the Giant Hogweed is a sweet song). 

Pink Floyd was my first real music love, the first band that I was proud to call my favorite. Atom Heart Mother and Meddle, WYWH, DSotM, Animals, The Division Bell, Ummagumma. Loads of greatness.

Gabriel was only in the band from '75 and earlier.  Listen to their stuff from '76 on when Collins did vocals.  He was also an amazing drummer.

Dec 17, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #14 of 15
These were my two favorite bands when I was in college. But now I have no idea what I saw in them. Lyrics like "six saintly shrouded men" and the self indulgences of The Wall are pompous to the point of making me laugh now. At its worst, the synth noodling is insufferable. I used to love art rock, but as I learned more about art and rock, I realized that it was neither.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back