Shopping for ATH-W11R in Japan?
Apr 9, 2002 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

hiccup

New Head-Fier
I have a friend who is heading to Japan this weekend and I have prided him into picking up a ATH-W11R for me. There was a post around March by Jim_T suggested that this phone still can be picked up in Yodobashi Camera in Osaka....Any idea on whether this phone is still available or the street price?

Thanks,
- hiccup

Apr 10, 2002 at 1:02 AM Post #2 of 17
i don't know if they are still available but they are limited edition so it's hard to say. i haven't seen any in shops here in the south of japan though. the prices that i saw advertised were about halfway between the w100 and the w2002, i think. of course the actuall price depends on where you find them. good luck!

Apr 10, 2002 at 4:28 PM Post #3 of 17
Aw...I was hoping someone would say there are still tons of them available
biggrin.gif
umm...I am pondering on whether I should have him pick up the ATH-W100 or just wait for the next ATH-W. Thanks for the reply.

Apr 10, 2002 at 6:16 PM Post #6 of 17
hehehe, no. At the top of your ATW100 review that I read everyday to tide me over before their arrival, there is a list of release dates for all the preview AT woodies, and it is about yearly between october and december.

Apr 10, 2002 at 6:24 PM Post #7 of 17
Darn, I thought you had some inside information.
tongue.gif

Judging from past experince, the next wooden headphone from AT would be a non-lacquered version of the W2002. But the regular production W100 has been introduced in 1999, they might replace that.

BTW, Jon, you seem to have excellent taste in headphones!
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2002 at 6:35 PM Post #8 of 17
thanks Tomcat. Coming soon (when i get w100s) is going to be a huge Senn+cardas vs. W100 review. And I emailed AT re: their next wooden headphone, because heck, I'm curious as well! I read some page that was poorly translated with babelfish re: w11jpn, w11r, and w100, and they were all supposed to be pretty darn similar.

Apr 10, 2002 at 8:17 PM Post #9 of 17
I just know a guy is selling his ATH-W10LTD for less than $200, which is a limited edition according to the seller, but the seller is in Taiwan.
eek.gif

Apr 10, 2002 at 8:40 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by PC Corp
I just know a guy is selling his ATH-W10LTD for less than $200, which is a limited edition according to the seller, but the seller is in Taiwan.
eek.gif

Really ... you want to send me his email? I don't mind dealing with Taiwan. Read my sig.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2002 at 11:51 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Tomcat

Judging from past experince, the next wooden headphone from AT would be a non-lacquered version of the W2002. But the regular production W100 has been introduced in 1999, they might replace that.

When Senheiser tried to replace the HD-590 in place of the HD-580, the new cans were NOT accepted easily, and are still considered inferior to the 580's. What if a similar thing happens with replacement of the W100? If the replacement for the W100 turns out to be worse than the no longer being produced W100, then the price of the W100's will become seriously inflated due to the increase in demand. Just something to think about . . .
smily_headphones1.gif
tongue.gif

Apr 11, 2002 at 12:47 AM Post #13 of 17
hiccup,

if your friend is here in japan, he can pick up the w100s for around $250 u.s. i think. again, it depends on where he goes. have him keep an eye out for any of the w series cans and give him a prioritized list. pick up whats available. he can wait to get w100s right before leaving because they are in most mid sized or larger eletronics shops. there are lots of other cans and pcdps or mdps here that are hard or impossible to get in the states too so think of everything.

puck

Apr 11, 2002 at 9:59 AM Post #14 of 17
hiccup, it was actually the W2002 that I saw in Yodobashi Camera, although I have seen the W11R in one of the Joshin stores (there are about four) in Nipponbashi (Den Den Town). Pretty pricey, though - can't remember exactly, but I think they were around 45,000 yen. If you're interested, the store was on Sakai-suji (street name) on the west side. Hope this helps, and I hope your friend is able to find them - I love mine!

Jim

Apr 11, 2002 at 6:01 PM Post #15 of 17
Thank you all for the replies, especially Jim_T's juicy piece of info. That will definitely safe some foot works for my friend. I have my fingers closed and hope that the next ATH-W be a clear-lacquered finish, and one side corded version of W2002! That would be a better W2002 for _me_! umm...that pretty much suggests W11R, doesn't it!?!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back