Shopping for a DAP
Nov 6, 2006 at 10:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

BillC

Headphoneus Supremus
The battery on my X5 is beginning to fade to nothing. It still works fine plugged into it's cradle on my office PC so I may just let it become a non-portable DAP. But I need to replace it for portable use. Anything else out there I should consider - something with a replaceable battery would be nice.

Of course I want good sound quality. Have to have 20GB or more of memory. FLAC playback is required. Digital output would be great too.

So, do I just buy another X5 or can someone persuade me to go another direction?

[edit: it's Monday. GB not MB, sorry.]

Nov 7, 2006 at 1:38 AM Post #2 of 5
perhaps you could consider an ipod with rockbox installed?

of course, it doesn't have replaceable battery, but the only HDD based DAP i know to have such feature is Sony NW-HD5. but you know Sony doesn't even play *.mp3 natively..

and as far as i know, iaudio is the only major (well, you could at least consider them being close to it
smily_headphones1.gif
) DAP manufacturer to play FLAC natively..

Nov 7, 2006 at 1:42 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by BillC
The battery on my X5 is beginning to fade to nothing. It still works fine plugged into it's cradle on my office PC so I may just let it become a non-portable DAP. But I need to replace it for portable use. Anything else out there I should consider - something with a replaceable battery would be nice.

Of course I want good sound quality. Have to have 20MB or more of memory. FLAC playback is required. Digital output would be great too.

So, do I just buy another X5 or can someone persuade me to go another direction?

MPman F10.. Almost double the capacity you need too
wink.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eiger_Labs_MPMan_F10

Nov 7, 2006 at 2:06 AM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for the replies. I hadn't been following the market much since I bought my X5. I poked around the web and didn't see anything new - was hoping I was missing something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back