Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Apr 9, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #3,946 of 4,593
Quote:
This is Head-Fi, I thought everyone had at least one pair of full size open headphones for home, one pair of closed ones for isolation, then another closed portable pair, plus IEM, and possibly several of each...
tongue.gif

Yep, plus one backup of each, one disposable IEM for the gym, something to keep at the office for the slow days... and so on. It's easy to justify at least a dozen cans. 

Apr 12, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #3,947 of 4,593
Don't know whether to choose between the Sony MDR-V6s or the Superlux HD668Bs. The latter is twice as cheap and appears to have a superior sound quality, but I'm also looking for strong build quality since I'm looking to move away from IEMs which never last more than a few months for me. I had JVC FXT-90s before. Is the sound quality that different? Taking into account I'm looking for a balanced sound which can handle a range of genres and sounds.

Apr 12, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #3,948 of 4,593
Comparing open vs closed is always tricky, the V6 are sturdier but the Superlux do have a removable cable if that's been your main point of failure... Do you need any isolation or do you actually prefer a more airy sound?

Apr 12, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #3,950 of 4,593
It's gonna be more like a lot of leaking in either direction with the Superlux... They're very open. The JVC RX700 are a pretty good low budget full sized closed headphone, the RX900 is more airy sounding but seemed more uneven to me (and not worth 2x the price, at that point might as well look at the CAL etc).

Apr 13, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #3,952 of 4,593
Quote:
I keep seeing the M50 described as having a little more emphasis on bass, so how does it handle stuff like post rock and indie?
And would it need an amp if I'm running it off an iPod Classic?

Fine if you like your post rock and indie with enhanced bass. Some do, some do not. 

It should run well off of an iPod classic. 

Apr 13, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #3,955 of 4,593
I listen to quite a range of music though.

At the moment I'm leaning more towards the MDR-V6s due to their durability and isolation but the Superlux HD668B's and JVC HA-S500's higher, clearer and more balanced sound qualities are tempting me too. I think the M50s are probably out of my price range and the recessed mids are putting me off. I wonder how they all handle stuff like shoegaze.

Apr 14, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #3,956 of 4,593
I recently bought myself the M50 and can say I am satisfied with the purchase. They isolate well and are decently comfy. The run ok off an iPod but could definitely do with an amp. Which is going to be my next purchase :)

Quote:
Fine if you like your post rock and indie with enhanced bass. Some do, some do not. 

It should run well off of an iPod classic. 

Apr 14, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #3,957 of 4,593
Quote:
I recently bought myself the M50 and can say I am satisfied with the purchase. They isolate well and are decently comfy. The run ok off an iPod but could definitely do with an amp. Which is going to be my next purchase :)

I had the M50s and in my opinion any benefit from amping is minimal at best.

Apr 15, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #3,958 of 4,593
i am lost... is there really no onear design with decent detail and and some soundstage depth? layering and pinpoint accuracy and subbass are the most important things for me in sound signature and it really is hard to find as even the dt1350 sounded cramped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back