Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Dec 10, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #3,752 of 4,593
I went to 3 of them, all they had on display was the DNA, and the Inspirations(one of them had both active and passive models on display). None of them were willing to display the Vektr, or let me at least try it out without buying it. :+(

Dec 10, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #3,754 of 4,593
Quote:
How does K518 LE stack up against the M-Audio Q40 in terms of bass quality, and quantity?

ANy plans to review any AiAiAi products like the Capital or TMA-1's?

Pretty close - AKGs are more mid-bassy IMO while the Q-40s have more deep bass and better detail/texture. I think either will satisfy a bass lover. The Q-40 is more accurate overall, though, while the K81 is more colored. 

Dec 11, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #3,755 of 4,593
Quote:
I've seen the new Monsters on display at all sorts of weird places, Office Depot for one, haven't really taken notice of specific models tho.

The Inspiration, and DNA, the latter which I am testing out at the moment is what I have seen on display everywhere. The Monster Diesel Vektr on the other hand, I have yet to see on display, though is on sale. 

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #3,756 of 4,593
I heard the Inspiration and Ntune at an Office Depot the other day.  The Inspiration's build is very nice.  Neither could beat an unmodified KSC75 in sound out of my J3, LOL!

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #3,760 of 4,593
Quote:
Thank you for that, but I was more interested on impressions of the Vektr vs some of the top rated models mentioned here. Thanks.

The Vekter don't sound near as good as the top rated models in this thread, the Diamond Tears, however, compete very well with the best rated phones.
Maybe very close to the HD 25's but the style might be too much for many.

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #3,761 of 4,593
I am considering selling my koss djpro100s for an upgrade. I am interested in the v moda crossfade lp2, but i just wanted to check that it will sound the same as the m80, and not like the original lp.

Dec 16, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #3,762 of 4,593
I am told the LP2 bass level is in between the LP and M80, while mids are suppose to about the same. Not full sure about highs or lows though. I would say go to RadioShack if there is one near you and try both on(the one near my had the M80 on the floor to try, and both LP and LP2 to buy, but I am sure if asked nicely to try also.

Dec 17, 2012 at 4:10 AM Post #3,763 of 4,593
Quote:
I am considering selling my koss djpro100s for an upgrade. I am interested in the v moda crossfade lp2, but i just wanted to check that it will sound the same as the m80, and not like the original lp.

I think what you're looking for is the M-100, not the Crossfade. 

Dec 17, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #3,764 of 4,593
I'm torn between buying AKG K 518 DJ (K 81 DJ) and Soundmagic P30.

They cost exactly the same in my country.
I prefer easily portable headphones, but these both seem still OK to carry around while folded.
I don't care about design, I just need sound quality and build quality, and, if possible, comfort. Perfect isolation isn't really necessary.
Now, I've read a lot of reviews and I still can't decide. Sound quality seems just a little bit better on AKG according to reviews, but virtually everyone complains about too much clamp force and ear ache after just an hour of use. Is it really that bad, and/or is Soundmagic distinctively better? I've been using Koss Porta Pro for some 10 years, and my ears ached a little after a few hours. Never a problem after some 2 hours of wear though. But I'm just fed up with its incredibly lacking build quality, they just keep falling apart (the two small black pieces of plastic holding the bridge together breaks) every year or so, even if I care about them.
I've no idea how big my head is, but it seems it's about average. Quite small ears. 
There is no way to try these headphones before buying them in the place I live...

Can you advice what would be better? Another option is Sennheiser PX200-II, but it seems slightly worse compared to Soundmagic. And I can't afford anything more expensive than these two (about USD 70-75 here).

Thank you!

PS: I know nothing about the technical stuff in music so I couldn't really decipher a lot of the information about the sound quality.

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #3,765 of 4,593
Quote:
I'm torn between buying AKG K 518 DJ (K 81 DJ) and Soundmagic P30.

They cost exactly the same in my country.
I prefer easily portable headphones, but these both seem still OK to carry around while folded.
I don't care about design, I just need sound quality and build quality, and, if possible, comfort. Perfect isolation isn't really necessary.
Now, I've read a lot of reviews and I still can't decide. Sound quality seems just a little bit better on AKG according to reviews, but virtually everyone complains about too much clamp force and ear ache after just an hour of use. Is it really that bad, and/or is Soundmagic distinctively better? I've been using Koss Porta Pro for some 10 years, and my ears ached a little after a few hours. Never a problem after some 2 hours of wear though. But I'm just fed up with its incredibly lacking build quality, they just keep falling apart (the two small black pieces of plastic holding the bridge together breaks) every year or so, even if I care about them.
I've no idea how big my head is, but it seems it's about average. Quite small ears. 
There is no way to try these headphones before buying them in the place I live...

Can you advice what would be better? Another option is Sennheiser PX200-II, but it seems slightly worse compared to Soundmagic. And I can't afford anything more expensive than these two (about USD 70-75 here).

Thank you!

PS: I know nothing about the technical stuff in music so I couldn't really decipher a lot of the information about the sound quality.

If you are used to Portapros the K81s will feel like a vise. Go for the Soundmagic - much better comfort and seems to be decently made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back