Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Aug 19, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #4,396 of 4,593
Joker, my only headphone is the HD681 Evo, that I guess sound similar to the HD668B.

There`s a AKG K518 on sale in one trusty store in Brazil for R$130 (something near US$60 and keep in mind that the HD202 and HD201 from Senn. cost the same, headphones prices are crazy here...) I bet they sound really different from each other and since I`m new in this hobby I`m interested in trying diferent things...

Do you think they`re still worth for this price?

Aug 20, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #4,397 of 4,593
Joker, my only headphone is the HD681 Evo, that I guess sound similar to the HD668B.

There`s a AKG K518 on sale in one trusty store in Brazil for R$130 (something near US$60 and keep in mind that the HD202 and HD201 from Senn. cost the same, headphones prices are crazy here...) I bet they sound really different from each other and since I`m new in this hobby I`m interested in trying diferent things...

Do you think they`re still worth for this price?

Sure, if you like bass heavy cans. I like the AKGs quite a bit but I have to add a word of caution - if you're one of the many people who don't find on-ear cans very comfortable, try these before you buy because they clamp pretty hard.

Aug 20, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #4,398 of 4,593

Sure, if you like bass heavy cans. I like the AKGs quite a bit but I have to add a word of caution - if you're one of the many people who don't find on-ear cans very comfortable, try these before you buy because they clamp pretty hard.

Ok, the truth is that I don`t know bass heavy for real, I`ve only used horrible and super cheap headphones and I guess my Superlux is sort of bass light, I guess the best way to find out if I like bass heavy cans is to try them 
atsmile.gif

And I can`t try them, it`s a online store, anyway it will be nice because if I find them comfortable I may be able to use some Grado if not...Grado out of the "to buy" list.

thx.

Aug 20, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #4,399 of 4,593
K518 and 681 evo have around the same level of bass. Like joker said they clamp VERY hard and the headband is pretty small. I dont use mine at all because i literally can't wear them for more than a couple minutes before my ears start to hurt.

That being said i think the 681 evo is a really good headphone (especially when you remove the inner felt). It has the clarity of the 668b without the bass rolloff. Plus you get more in the box (extra velours) Absolutely adore the headphone and it would make a great review *wink wink*

Aug 20, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #4,400 of 4,593

Ok, the truth is that I don`t know bass heavy for real, I`ve only used horrible and super cheap headphones and I guess my Superlux is sort of bass light, I guess the best way to find out if I like bass heavy cans is to try them 
atsmile.gif

Keep in mind that I've only tried the HD668B which, as threi said, has less bass than the K518. If the 681 differs significantly from the HD668B at the low end, maybe it's not as drastic a difference from the K518 as you're expecting. 

Aug 20, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #4,401 of 4,593

Keep in mind that I've only tried the HD668B which, as threi said, has less bass than the K518. If the 681 differs significantly from the HD668B at the low end, maybe it's not as drastic a difference from the K518 as you're expecting. 

So maybe the K518 sounds pretty similar and has less soundstage, I'm not that interested anymore 
rolleyes.gif

But I'm still willing to get them, my Superlux is too big and leak too much to be used during my work, and my IEMs isolate too much, maybe the K518 would be a good balance between them.
I just would need to buy the HD25 velvet earpads to make them more comfortable

Aug 22, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #4,402 of 4,593
Not exactly portable, but posted a review of the HiFiMan HE-560 headphones here: http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone-review/hifiman-560-review-new-benchmark/ 

Sep 24, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #4,403 of 4,593
Hi ther Joker thanks for putting this one togheter it must have been a lot of time and effort I have used this list as a reference to buy some of the headphones closer to my taste whenever I find them cheap enough. Thanks a lot.

I would like your opininion on the Beyer dt1350 replacements such as T51p and other sets such as v-moda XS, Beats solo 2.0, Martin Logan Mikros 90, Kef M500, Phillips Citiscape Downtown, Steelseries Flux On -Ear, Sony MDR-ZX310, Sony MDR-V55, Noontec Zoro 2 HD, Samson RH100.

Sorry about the request but I could not find a list of the future sets you'll add to this list and the ones you auditioned but will not be added such as the one displayed at your exponencially awesome and titanic multi-IEM thread.

Sep 24, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #4,404 of 4,593

So maybe the K518 sounds pretty similar and has less soundstage, I'm not that interested anymore 
rolleyes.gif

But I'm still willing to get them, my Superlux is too big and leak too much to be used during my work, and my IEMs isolate too much, maybe the K518 would be a good balance between them.
I just would need to buy the HD25 velvet earpads to make them more comfortable

The K518 isolates almost as much as a decent IEM I don't think you could use them at work unless you have a really small noggin

Sep 24, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #4,405 of 4,593
  Hi ther Joker thanks for putting this one togheter it must have been a lot of time and effort I have used this list as a reference to buy some of the headphones closer to my taste whenever I find them cheap enough. Thanks a lot.

I would like your opininion on the Beyer dt1350 replacements such as T51p and other sets such as v-moda XS, Beats solo 2.0, Martin Logan Mikros 90, Kef M500, Phillips Citiscape Downtown, Steelseries Flux On -Ear, Sony MDR-ZX310, Sony MDR-V55, Noontec Zoro 2 HD, Samson RH100.

Sorry about the request but I could not find a list of the future sets you'll add to this list and the ones you auditioned but will not be added such as the one displayed at your exponencially awesome and titanic multi-IEM thread.

Unfortunately there is no list as I've been focusing more on the IEM thread. I mean to review a few of the other sets I own, such as the AKG K550/551 (pretty good, could be a little smoother), Velodyne vTrue (meh), Monoprice DJ (good for the price, but forgettable) and so on, but just haven't found the time. Don't have any of the ones on your list. 

Oct 5, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #4,407 of 4,593
I would say both headphones are OK for portability, neither are great. But I would also say that about most over ear headphones.

Signature wise the K545 has more bass and slightly less mids especially in the lower midrange. Both have good treble.

I suggest trying both if possible but if not use my rough breakdown as a guide and read some other reviewers comments on both. If Joker has heard both I am sure he will give his opinion as well.

Oct 5, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #4,408 of 4,593
  Are akg k545 better than dna pro in terms of portability and sound? 

I only have the K551 and that's pretty big and unwieldy (it's bigger than the K545 as far as I can tell). The DNA Pro is more convenient to use outside even though I like the sound of the 551 better. 

Oct 5, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #4,409 of 4,593
K545 is slightly smaller as the pads are thinner allowing for a smaller overall cup. Signature wise the K55x series has a bit more level midrange than the K545 which has a dip in the lower mids. The K545 also has a bit more low end oomph.

Oct 6, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #4,410 of 4,593
Th
I only have the K551 and that's pretty big and unwieldy (it's bigger than the K545 as far as I can tell). The DNA Pro is more convenient to use outside even though I like the sound of the 551 better. 

K545 is slightly smaller as the pads are thinner allowing for a smaller overall cup. Signature wise the K55x series has a bit more level midrange than the K545 which has a dip in the lower mids. The K545 also has a bit more low end oomph.

I would say both headphones are OK for portability, neither are great. But I would also say that about most over ear headphones.

Signature wise the K545 has more bass and slightly less mids especially in the lower midrange. Both have good treble.

I suggest trying both if possible but if not use my rough breakdown as a guide and read some other reviewers comments on both. If Joker has heard both I am sure he will give his opinion as well.

Thank u so much! What I'd do without u
:) :) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back