Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
May 19, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #4,351 of 4,593
  Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great comparison. lots of work put into that one, Kudos!

Any interest in the JVC S700? They can be had for around $25-$35 now. Surprised that nobody buys the S700/S900 but the RX700/900 and flats are flying off the shelves. I had the S900 and they were quite better than SR60/Portapro/PX100 and the like.

Thanks for the kind words!

As for the S700/900s, I was under the impression that they are circumaurals. They look to be the same size as the low-end sennheiser circumaurals (HD212, etc).

If they are on-ears like the rest on this review I might pick up a pair just for comparison. Those slimz look quite tempting, too.

GREAT job!
LOTS of work indeed here - Tip off my cap to you brotha!!

Been really enjoying the Monsters since @warrenpchi gave me a listen in LA many months ago, and was psyched to contribute to the group on those!
I also enjoy the over-ears as well!

They're also great for the iPhone - nobody's ever complained about the sound of my voice using the on-ears with my phone!
Can't say that with other cans!

They're not as full-bodied at the DNA Pros (and I also agree, there's a lack of overall gestalt in the low-end, but music is free and easy to listen to on these,
for long periods of time - making them winners for me!

I used them to KEEP ME CALM here in the doctors office here, while my wifey was goin through hell.

I also find the mids and highs in the DNA Pros to be strikingly coherent and breathy. I need air in my music, as in life right?
I find a ton of cans in this bracket may hit me with decent midrange punch, or bass romp, extended highs, but they lack air
and dimensionality. NOT the DNA Pros! They give me a sweet sense of depth and width, as well as timbre that beats out some
far more expensive cans!

and with this Nordost Heimdall iKable I have (3.5mm - 3.5mm) I know, its OVERKILL, but MAN - they sound fantastic w/ my AK120!!

I've recommended them to a TON of people now, looking for cans in that price.
My nephew wouldn't give them back during Thanksgiving last year!!!!

Was just rockin' em Friday night w/ the HRT microStreamer - KILLER combo!

Fantastic read ljokerl 

May 20, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #4,352 of 4,593
Thanks!

In the end that's all that really matters, and I expect that most listeners will have a similar reaction to the DNA Pro, especially coming from congested, overwhelmingly bassy "mainstream" cans. 

Jun 12, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #4,353 of 4,593
Has anyone heard the DNA Pro plus the Shure SRH-1540? If so how do they compare signature wise, comfort wise, and isolation wise.

I own the 1540, but find it is not the best for portable use do to it's cables and size. But it is very comfortable due to weight and pads. Isolation while OK is not great though.

Sound wise I love the low end but wish the mids were just a bit warmer and more forward, the treble is also great but verging on slightly to present. From the sounds of it the DNA Pro might be very similar, so all things equal the PRO might give me the portability I want.

Currently my most used IEM is the Monster iSport Victory which I am finding to be very engaging and enjoyable. It had similar bass to the 1540 (maybe a touch more mid-bass slam) slightly warmer more forward mids, and treble that is just slightly less forward.

Jun 12, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #4,354 of 4,593
I will go ahead and answer my own question. I had a listen to the Pro today and they seal OK for me but were sweaty so comfort was so so and seal and isolation was about the same as the 1540.

Sound wise the 1540 had deeper more articulate bass, better mids, and more detailed treble but a similar upper mid/treble slant. I found it also lacked the dynamics i want unless i turned up the volume. While I enjoyed the portability I would not trade the sound of the 1540. I may try the NAD Viso HP50 again as I think it might give me the portability I want, or I may just live with the 1540 size as it does play well from my portable devices.

Jun 13, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #4,355 of 4,593
Thanks for putting the Monster iSport Victory on my radar! I might try them if/when they go on sale.

As far as portable headphones are concerned, have you tried the T51P's? Maybe you are not looking into on-ears though. 

Jun 13, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #4,356 of 4,593
I have a couple of on ears so would like an over ear but may see if I can hear T51P at some point. The Victory is the best sounding sport IEM I have heard but I will warn you the mic is a bit sucky according to my wife.

I picked up a "mystery" over ear headphone (a mystery until I decide I like it (or not)) today for a mere $40 that is impressing me so far. It looks very plain and is made of cheaper plastic. But it isolates very well and is extremely light and comfortable. It's pads remind of the pads on the Koss DJ line of headphones except they oval so fit very comfortably over ear. The over all design is very much like a lot of Sony headphones (except they are not from Sony). I almost missed them when walking through a local London Drugs store. I googled their model number and see ZERO reviews on them so decided to be the first
biggrin.gif

Upon first listen they are bass neutral for the most part with a strong midrange, and a somewhat tame but enjoyable treble. They had a few holes in the signature that bothered me so I have them burning in over night to see if they get better after a while.

They have only a modest 32mm driver in them but I was pleasantly surprised by the sound stage and instrument placement and imaging they had. If they improve with burnin they could be a serious contender for the bargain hunter looking for a more neutral/midrange oriented sound, certainly not what you expect for the $40 price range.

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #4,358 of 4,593
I have the M80 and think the DNA pro might fit the bill with some words of caution. Signature wise they have similar bass and midrange but the Pro will have more treble than the M80.

Another option for over ear that might be better is the NAD Viso HP50. It had slightly stronger bass, similar midrange and slightly stronger but similar treble.

Jun 13, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #4,359 of 4,593
Hi everyone! I have V-modas m80 and i want over ear cans, because I can't listen to the music for more than an hour, they aren't comfortable for me. Will the dna pro be a good headphones instead m80?

Totally.  If that one doesn't work out for you, try the Creative Aurvana Live! 2, HD380pro, or ATH-M50x.

Jun 13, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #4,360 of 4,593
The CAL2 and M50x will have quite a different signature from the M80 so should be heard before buying if possible. The 380 also is different but not quite as much.

Jun 13, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #4,361 of 4,593
The CAL2 and M50x will have quite a different signature from the M80 so should be heard before buying if possible. The 380 also is different but not quite as much.

380 is the most different of all.  He should try all of them, especially the DNA Pro that piqued his interest.

Jun 14, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #4,363 of 4,593
I will go ahead and answer my own question. I had a listen to the Pro today and they seal OK for me but were sweaty so comfort was so so and seal and isolation was about the same as the 1540.

Sound wise the 1540 had deeper more articulate bass, better mids, and more detailed treble but a similar upper mid/treble slant. I found it also lacked the dynamics i want unless i turned up the volume. While I enjoyed the portability I would not trade the sound of the 1540. I may try the NAD Viso HP50 again as I think it might give me the portability I want, or I may just live with the 1540 size as it does play well from my portable devices.

I wish that happened more often 
tongue.gif
. I'm almost ashamed to say that I personally still haven't tried a single Shure headphone. 

Hi everyone! I have V-modas m80 and i want over ear cans, because I can't listen to the music for more than an hour, they aren't comfortable for me. Will the dna pro be a good headphones instead m80?

Definitely do keep in mind that the M-80 and DNA PRO sound very different, with the M-80 being significantly warmer and the DNA PRO being significantly brighter.

Jun 21, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #4,365 of 4,593
Wrote a review of the OPPO PM-1 for anyone interested: http://theheadphonelist.com/oppo-pm-1-review-comparisons-lcd-2-hd600-560/

Not exactly portable, but it is a headphone 
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back