Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Jan 24, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #167 of 4,593
this is a valuable and wonderful thread. I hope it extends someday to 64 portables reviewed. I'm sure you have plenty of suggestions but I would love the new Sennheiser PX 100 II's to be added. I'm also curious about the Audio-Technica FC700's also. Keep up the good work!

Jan 27, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #168 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Can you do a fast review / compare the following models ?
I think this will be helpful to others also.
darthsmile.gif

Sennheiser HD-25-1 ii
Sennheiser HD 228
AKG K 518 DJ

PS. Awesome thread

Jan 27, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #169 of 4,593
If you have iGrados on the list, you need to have the UF-30s as well IMO:
4.PNG

Great thread though!

Jan 28, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #170 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by markychas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this is a valuable and wonderful thread. I hope it extends someday to 64 portables reviewed. I'm sure you have plenty of suggestions but I would love the new Sennheiser PX 100 II's to be added. I'm also curious about the Audio-Technica FC700's also. Keep up the good work!

Perhaps someday
wink.gif
. curious about the PX100-II myself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mont /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you do a fast review / compare the following models ?
I think this will be helpful to others also.
darthsmile.gif

Sennheiser HD-25-1 ii
Sennheiser HD 228
AKG K 518 DJ

I don't have the HD228. The AKG K518 is a great budget portable but it's just not on the same level as the HD25-1. The Senns are more balanced, more detailed, smoother. Both cans are a bit dark. Soundstage is rather mediocre on both. The AKGs are farther away in the midrange and have more treble sparkle; the senns are more forward in the midrange and have less crispness in the highs. AKGs have far more bass slam but I prefer the bass on the Senns. Neither is perfect though.

Lastly, the HD25 is far more comfortable, especially with velour pads. Isolation is about the same. Build on the HD25 is great but the K518 is no slouch either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have iGrados on the list, you need to have the UF-30s as well IMO:

Great thread though!

After the Ultrasone Zinos I decided to pass on the Nuforces. Rumored to sound similar so... not very exciting.

Jan 28, 2010 at 7:52 AM Post #171 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After the Ultrasone Zinos I decided to pass on the Nuforces. Rumored to sound similar so... not very exciting.

I see your point, but couldn't that be said about many of the headphones featured in this thread? Why not feature them both, if only to point out their similarities?

Jan 28, 2010 at 7:58 AM Post #172 of 4,593
Phiatons definitely deserve a mention here as well
phiaton-ps200-earphones-ms400-headphones-audio.jpg

Jan 28, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #174 of 4,593
Yes, the phiatons are beautiful. I've been this | | close to purchasing them on several occasions, especially the dual-driver ones.

Jan 29, 2010 at 7:26 AM Post #178 of 4,593
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seidhepriest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No-one seems to know, but Roland RH-50 are dual-driver. Most beautiful treble/high midrange in cheap headphones ever.

I've read very good things about those RH-50s. If they sounded cr@ppy, the would be branded "Boss", I know that much about Roland!

Jan 29, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #179 of 4,593
They are cheap studio headphones, and they're dual-driver, they like current, won't go very loud with a player. Impedance is standard 32-ohm. EQ is similar to AKG K-240 Studio, but with more of a treble/midrange lift. Obviously older headphones, don't expect Denon dynamics. But the midrange/treble are very sweet for cheap headphones. They cost less than $50 off EBay, and are closed. Pretty good street headphones, especially with an amp.

Here's the effect:

21274179_1.jpg

Jan 29, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #180 of 4,593
RH-50 are a bit slow, and they won't do anything like boomy bass (they're really closed, vents are taped on the inside). Character's more laid-back, relaxed (guitar music's beautiful BTW). They're not as detailed as K-240. But they're as close to K-240 as supra-aural headphones get. "Toy K-240 Studio" with an even more of a midrange/treble lift. Spatious.

"Won't go very loud" means - they will cover street noise driven by a portable player, but that's it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back