shocking ath-w1000's
Mar 22, 2006 at 6:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

ryan1212

100+ Head-Fier
hey guys i just bought a new pair of ath-w1000's anyways they constantly shock my ears like it is pretty painful when i have them connected to my home theater amp has anyone expearanced this before

Mar 22, 2006 at 6:53 AM Post #3 of 29
This is bizarre.
I would like to know how this could be happening.

Mar 22, 2006 at 6:53 AM Post #4 of 29
get an antistatic wristband perhaps.

Mar 22, 2006 at 6:58 AM Post #5 of 29
Also get off carpet / anything that can give off a static charge or don't more. If the problem goes away then its because of the driver covers (metal) and static. (I am not joking)

-Alex-

Mar 22, 2006 at 10:29 AM Post #6 of 29
Yikes! My pair has never shocked (electrically speaking) me. I wonder about static build up, my headphones are frequently lying on the carpet next to me without me getting zapped when I put them back on. Maybe AKzip has a point about the amp/source not being grounded.

Mar 22, 2006 at 11:19 AM Post #7 of 29
Woah... something is not grounded and building up a lot of charge! I can't imagine you using an ungrounded power supply for your amp. Next time, before you put them on, touch the your cans on something that is grounded. Please come back with updates.

Mar 22, 2006 at 12:50 PM Post #8 of 29
Excuse my electrical ignorance, but you can get shocked by coming into contact with pleather?

I've not had any issues of the sort with my W1000.

Mar 22, 2006 at 12:57 PM Post #9 of 29
No, the shock is coming from the metal inside. My W1000's never shocked me until I rearranged my room last month and wow, yea they would send a shock into my ears that propelled me out of my seat. Maybe something got ungrounded, or moving a whole bunch of stuff around on a carpeted floor built up huge static. I did three things:

1. unplugged and replugged in all my gear and checked my surge protector.
2. Got a metal lamp and started touching it before and during listening sessions to discharge.
3. Got a humidifier to cut down on the charge.

The static has gone away. I feel your pain!

Mar 22, 2006 at 1:14 PM Post #10 of 29
eek.gif

Just curious, does the static discharge damage the thin fabric covering?

Mar 22, 2006 at 1:38 PM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63
eek.gif

Just curious, does the static discharge damage the thin fabric covering?

No. It will just go right through the littles holes of it.

-Alex-

Mar 22, 2006 at 4:17 PM Post #12 of 29
I've been shocked once by my W1000's but that happened a few weeks ago, I freaked out, my roommate laughed and it was over and has yet to occur again.

If it was happening often I would be freaking out though, even once was enough for me to cringe as I put them on for the next couple days.

Mar 22, 2006 at 4:54 PM Post #13 of 29
I've been shocked through my phones as well. When I was in school, my crappy apartment had ungrounded outlets, and I had an ungrounded amp. If I had my phones on and was sitting on the carpet, the slightest drag of my body across the carpet produced a small shock through both ears. It was more of an annoyance than painful, though.

Mar 22, 2006 at 8:22 PM Post #14 of 29
I do live in the basement but even when i am walking on the streets listening to them on my mp3 player outside they shock me. Every day many times a day they shock me since then Ive just had to put them down atleast I know i wasnt going crazy I think there is a problem with the unit it self. Ive tryed them on about 3 differnt sources they all give me shocks but the worst shocks come when I walk on my carpet listing to them on my home theater hk amp. Like sorry to say but I didnt spend 500 usd for something that would hurt my ears. Hmm
Im trying to get them back to price japan no offence to them but Ive seen people open law suites for less then this. lol I hope they will be fair to me they are pretty head phones. anyone have any suggestion of what type of head phones I should try next I only had the ath w1000s for a week and I love the wood on them

Mar 22, 2006 at 8:38 PM Post #15 of 29
The W1000's are the worst of all the AT woodies. To be honest they pretty much sound just like the A900's. If you liked the sound maybe give the W100's or one of the other W series a try. They are all discontinued, but you see them pop up here in the for sale section once in a while.

If not there is always Sennheiser, AKG, and Grado.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Alex-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back