Shocked by AKG K401
Aug 16, 2002 at 7:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Papa Lazarou

New Head-Fier
I've just bought these. I was expecting these to sound quite nice, but I was not expecting them to sound like this ...

WOW!!!!!!!!
eek.gif

I'm shocked!
eek.gif

Aug 17, 2002 at 6:05 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by Papa Lazarou
I've just bought these. I was expecting these to sound quite nice, but I was not expecting them to sound like this ...

WOW!!!!!!!!
eek.gif

I'm shocked!
eek.gif

shock in what way?

Aug 17, 2002 at 6:56 AM Post #4 of 6
I'm glad you like the 401s! I find the 401/501 to be one of the best deals in headpones. They throw an amazing soundstage, bigger than anything else I've heard, apart from the K1000. I think they contend with the best out there in all areas except for bass.

Aug 17, 2002 at 11:57 AM Post #5 of 6
I don't listen to music with a lot of very low bass, so too me the bass sounds fine. I bought these because it's too hot for me to wear my sony's (cd3000). I'm finding them very natural. I was listening to the magical mystery tour, and all the weird effects sounded great, and I could hear stuff I've never heard before. And the soundstage. I had always been put off buying these before by reports of poor bass. Now I wish I'd bought them sooner. I'm not dissing any other phones. All obviously have various strengths and weaknesses. Some weaknesses bug me, and others I can easily overlook. For me, the weaknesses of these phones I can easily overlook (perhaps I'm in the minority here). Mind you I haven't had them long. I'm going to have to check out the K1000 now. I've always avoided these things because I didn't want to have to get a power amp to drive them.

Aug 17, 2002 at 12:00 PM Post #6 of 6
Welcome to Head-Fi

The 401's were the first decent pair of headphones that I owned and I agree with you on how well they sound when you use an amplifier. Great soundstage.

Glad to have you onboard. Keep one hand on your wallet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back